Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Favourite Cathedral

(58 Posts)
Musicgirl Tue 29-Sept-26 23:48:03

Inspired by a Mumsnet thread, I thought it would be an enjoyable, gentle thread for us. I’ll start. My absolute favourite cathedral has always been Norwich, my home cathedral. The cloisters and the ceiling bosses, which tell the whole story of the Bible, are particular favourite features, as is the cathedral close outside. I am also very fond of Lichfield cathedral with its three spires and Chester cathedral built of red sandstone. We now live about ten miles from Peterborough and, while the rest of the city is somewhat depressed for many reasons, the cathedral is lovely.

Newgran59 Wed 30-Sept-26 13:57:48

UK - Canterbury, so much history
But my true favourite is the Duomo in Milan where I could seek refuge from the blazing heat and bustle of the city with my young baby who was born there.

wavequeen134 Wed 30-Sept-26 13:53:30

St Davids Pembrokeshire where my family come from. It’s in such a beautiful setting

Delila Wed 30-Sept-26 13:52:21

Wells

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 30-Sept-26 13:50:05

Rochester is wonderful, Bellanonna. It's my hometown, and I sang in my school choir there many times.
The Norman Castle makes a fine backdrop, too.

Oreo Wed 30-Sept-26 13:24:58

I haven’t been in many but thought that Ely was marvellous.

EkwaNimitee Wed 30-Sept-26 11:53:54

Definitely Durham, and what a magnificent sight it is as you pass by on the train.
Others closely following are Ely, York, Lincoln and the Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool. Even to an atheist, the latter has a wonderful uplifting and spiritual feel inside,
As for foreign ones, the Sagrada Família, I absolutely love it. And then there’s Chartres and Aachen….where we heard a great tenor singing, quite unaccompanied, the Panis Angelicus under the great dome, another uplifting experience.

Bellanonna Wed 30-Sept-26 11:31:24

I love all the cathedrals mentioned here and would add Rochester Cathedral to the list. Lovely Norman west door and lots of other interesting features.

Fradders Wed 30-Sept-26 11:19:34

Lichfield,where I live.

Georgesgran Wed 30-Sept-26 11:12:54

The Sagrada’s in a separate league, but I did think we were doing homegrown here.
It’s Durham’s position too with the view of it from the riverbanks. Walking, it’s up Sadler Street, then right onto the short, but cobbled Owengate, until it opens out onto the Palace Green - and the audible gasps/wows from first time visitors.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 30-Sept-26 11:07:48

Oh yes, forgot about Liverpool, but I would choose the amazing Roman Catholic Cathedral.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 30-Sept-26 11:06:46

Salisbury
Durham
St Magnus (Kirkwall, Orkney)
Glasgow

Marzipan22 Wed 30-Sept-26 11:04:11

The Anglican Cathedral in Liverpool.

Flippinheck Wed 30-Sept-26 11:03:02

Chester and Durham.

henetha Wed 30-Sept-26 10:54:46

Exeter cathedral is not far away from me and it is beautiful.
I see it fairly regularly. It has an air of peace and tranquillity, both inside and out.
I managed to go there on my wedding day, before flying off on my honeymoon.
I also very much like St. Paul's in London.

Kate54 Wed 30-Sept-26 10:52:15

Beverley, a Minster but as big as lots of cathedrals - very special atmosphere.

JenniRen Wed 30-Sept-26 10:35:30

It's difficult to pick a favourite because they are all beautiful and unique.

Lichfield with its three spires, Gloucester, Hereford is just lovely and of course houses the Mappa Mundi as Luckygirl mentioned. St David's in its unique setting. Exeter (graduation ceremony) brings back memories.
Coventry is thought-provoking.
Truro has an amazing Rose Window.

These are the ones that immediately come to mind but all are a testament to the architects and the building skills of hundreds of years ago.

TheWeirdoAgain60 Wed 30-Sept-26 10:32:42

I seldom go to cathedrals or churches, but I absolutely love Worcester Cathedral, Lichfield Cathedral and York Cathedral.

I'm an atheist, so I don't go for the religious part, but just the buildings themselves. Utterly gorgeous! And I always make sure to buy something from their shop to help support them.

Cabowich Wed 30-Sept-26 10:25:24

Sagrada Familia. I remember a couple walking up the steps in front of me. At the entrance they just stopped, completely. A few seconds later, I did exactly the same thing. I've never before seen such a beautiful interior.

TerriBull Wed 30-Sept-26 10:23:04

I forgot to mention catholic Westminster Cathedral, not ancient like Westminster Abbey, nevertheless quite beautiful inside and out. The striped exterior reminds me of Brunelleschi's Duomo in Florence which I visited years ago, not fully appreciating it at the time suffering from culture overload. Having already done Rome before we arrived in Florence.

Not a cathedral, but I thought the Scrovegni Chapel in Padua was also very beautiful, starry ceiling and very old Giotto frescoes.

Oldnproud Wed 30-Sept-26 10:16:25

Worcester Cathedral

We hadnt planned to visit it. It was a spur of the moment decision as we were walking past and saw the doors wide open.
That was Easter Sunday or Monday, about 12 years ago.
As we went in, we were greeted and shown all around.

I am generally not a fan of such buildings.
They can make me feel uneasy in in a way that I can neither explain nor understand (though if i had to try, i would blame the coldness, the 'old' smell and their history which I 'feel' as almost a knot in the pit of my stomach).

But for some reason Worcester Cathedral gave me quite the opposite feeling that day. I remember it clearly as a light, warm and welcoming experience, one that has left a big impression on me.

Ziplok Wed 30-Sept-26 10:14:47

I forgot to mention Selby Abbey and Ripon Cathedral, too.

Grandma70s Wed 30-Sept-26 10:14:07

Durham, Wells.

Ziplok Wed 30-Sept-26 10:12:14

I don’t have one favourite but these I have visited and loved:

Durham
York
Salisbury
Wells
St David’s
Lincoln
Canterbury

All very beautiful. There will be others which I have yet to visit.

There are many beautiful ones abroad, too, of course.

NotSpaghetti Wed 30-Sept-26 10:09:32

I would love to see the Cathedral of Brasília (without tour busses) and Dili Cathedral – East Timor and (if it's still standing (?) St. Sophia Cathedral, Kiev – Ukraine

I love York and Lichfield - and Coventry Cathedral which is very special for the endurance, new architecture and history. I think it's very moving.

The Sagrada Familia had to have a mention as it is truly awesome - like dripped sand... and the modern work is beautiful too in a different but sympathetic way. I love it (when not too busy to enjoy it!
The Florence Duomo is up there (off season) too fot me.

Smaller churches can also be stunning, surprising or moving... but this is s thread about cathedrals so maybe for another time.

kittylester Wed 30-Sept-26 09:58:50

I think they all have an appeal - all exude an air of calm.

I grew up in Derby and went to the cathedral often so it has quite a homely feel for me.

Living near to Leicester means that I have been to events at the Cathedral quite often. It really feels like part of the community and we have a king buried there.

Durham Cathedral is very special - not least because I spoke to Bryan Ferry there.

I echo the choice of Reims - beautiful.