Gransnet forums

Chat

Nodders - silly and annoying

(12 Posts)
HelterSkelter1 Wed 30-Sept-26 19:20:17

Apropos of nothing. When DH and I first met one of his friends described me to my face as "clothes by Oxfam, hair by Flymo"
Sadly reader it was true.

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sept-26 13:36:13

MT62

Who was ‘KH’?

Esmay Wed 30-Sept-26 11:19:37

I've wondered about the nodding and the braying and put it down to displacement activity .
It's irritating.

CarrotTop Wed 30-Sept-26 11:17:44

It's orchestrated, of course, like many things in public life (not just politics). When we see someone nodding, our subconscious sends us a positive message. This increases our own sense of positivity, which we associate with whatever is being said. That's the theory, anyway. A lot of "ordinary" people use the nodding technique too when they're telling us something. We can't all have an entourage to do it for us, so nodding while they're speaking increases the chance that we'll be convinced that they're right. A huge number of young women seem to be doing it lately, so I imagine one of the glossy mags or online self-help blogs has run an article on "how to make friends and influence people"....
I'm nodding while I type this, btw, so I hope you're all now in total agreement with me. grin

MT62 Wed 30-Sept-26 11:12:58

Calendargirl

It’s a bit reminiscent of the nodding dogs you used to see on the back of peoples cars, sitting on the parcel shelf, nodding away.

Ha was going to say that, RR always reminded me of a bobble head, especially with that hairstyle she had, before KH called her ceramic head, hairstyle by leggo, a bit nasty as I have a similar style.
Noticed AR has had hers softened with layers much nicer.

JenniRen Wed 30-Sept-26 10:59:43

Calendargirl

It’s a bit reminiscent of the nodding dogs you used to see on the back of peoples cars, sitting on the parcel shelf, nodding away.

Oh Yes!

Calendargirl Wed 30-Sept-26 10:19:05

It’s a bit reminiscent of the nodding dogs you used to see on the back of peoples cars, sitting on the parcel shelf, nodding away.

nanna8 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:17:27

A weird baying sound ? I laughed and spilt me merlot !

nanna8 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:16:19

Strewth- I didn’t know that one Beechnut . They’re ‘frangers’ and ‘rubbers’ here. 😁😁😁

Beechnut Wed 30-Sept-26 08:33:29

When I saw the title I thought it was going to be about an old word for contraceptives. 🫣

Aldom Wed 30-Sept-26 05:11:23

Yes, nanna8 it certainly does happen here in the UK especially during Prime Minister's question time. There's often a weird baying sound to be heard too. grin

nanna8 Wed 30-Sept-26 01:42:07

I don’t know if it happens much in the UK but every time a politician speaks publicly here there is a line of people behind him/her nodding . Up and down,up and down. Do they realise how absolutely ridiculous they look ? Today there was a blonde female stood behind Albo, our PM and she was nodding so much she looked as though she needed surgery and a rod put into her head to keep it upright.