Gransnet forums

Chat

What would be the worst figure of speech if you took them literally?

(40 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:19

I could eat you with a spoon!

Chocolatebiscuit Sun 04-Oct-26 16:42:54

What will the neighbours say?

What will the WI ladies say?

Chestnut Sun 04-Oct-26 16:38:54

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

Oldnproud Sun 04-Oct-26 16:37:26

You won't have a leg to stand on.

Casdon Sun 04-Oct-26 16:37:24

Go boil your head.
He wears his brain in his trousers.

Trisha99 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:35:00

‘Hold your feet to the fire’😱

Shinamae Sun 04-Oct-26 16:32:03

I’ll skin you alive
I’ll see you swing

OldFrill Sun 04-Oct-26 16:23:32

Cost an arm and a leg

nanaK54 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:20:47

Cutting off your nose to spite your face (painful!)

Retread Sun 04-Oct-26 16:14:13

Killing time.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Oct-26 16:13:00

Cat got your tongue?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:08:00

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick 🤷‍♀️

Aveline Sun 04-Oct-26 16:06:31

Keep your eyes peeled...

fancythat Sun 04-Oct-26 15:56:32

I did one myself recently.

To a patient in hospital.
"They are putting that liquid in, like there is no tomorrow."
Thankfully, everyone saw the funny side. Just.

Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:54:01

It's raining cats and dogs