Gransnet forums

Chat

What would be the worst figure of speech if you took them literally?

(35 Posts)
Dreading Sun 04-Oct-26 15:54:01

It's raining cats and dogs

JenniRen Sun 04-Oct-26 20:13:26

grannyjan2

Sixth form A level French gave us access to the giant Lascelles and Cassells dictionaries in the school library. Reading through all the entries for phrases involving eyes had my friends and I literally collapsing in forbidden laughter .. I can't really remember any of them now, but a couple already mentioned were definitely there.

grannyjan2 I have a Cassells dictionary on the shelf, it belonged to my mother-in-law from when she was at school.
Must take a look inside.

Tight as a duck's a*se

Bukkie Sun 04-Oct-26 20:05:09

I would walk on hot coals for.....

travelsafar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:52:59

If the cap fits wear it

Shes all fur coat and no knickers

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:40:23

An eye for an eye

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 19:39:47

So sharp he could cut himself
Needles and pins

Casdon Sun 04-Oct-26 19:17:08

They keeping coming to me while I’m doing other things

As bent as a nine bob note
Slow down or you’ll meet yourself coming back

StTrinians Sun 04-Oct-26 19:01:50

See you later alligator.
In a while crocodile.
...Yikes. grin

Cossy Sun 04-Oct-26 18:54:58

(Sorry!)

S**t for brains

Cossy Sun 04-Oct-26 18:51:54

Talking out of one’s a**e 😱

Reubenblue Sun 04-Oct-26 18:43:25

Killing two birds with one stone!

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-26 18:33:51

Casdon!
grin

He wears his brain in his trousers
Tea splutter!

Fallingstar Sun 04-Oct-26 18:29:52

I’ll eat my hat.

grannyjan2 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:28:17

Sixth form A level French gave us access to the giant Lascelles and Cassells dictionaries in the school library. Reading through all the entries for phrases involving eyes had my friends and I literally collapsing in forbidden laughter .. I can't really remember any of them now, but a couple already mentioned were definitely there.

Casdon Sun 04-Oct-26 18:26:35

She was dressed like a dog’s dinner

Nell82 Sun 04-Oct-26 18:20:55

I'm over the moon

Plevey08 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:49:20

Skeletons in the closet

MollyNew Sun 04-Oct-26 17:30:08

He jumped the gun

Magenta8 Sun 04-Oct-26 17:21:29

My least favourite of all - I'll tear you a new one

My favourite - I was literally having kittens

Oldnproud Sun 04-Oct-26 17:08:40

I'll have your guts for garters!

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Oct-26 16:50:19

I could eat you with a spoon!

Chocolatebiscuit Sun 04-Oct-26 16:42:54

What will the neighbours say?

What will the WI ladies say?

Chestnut Sun 04-Oct-26 16:38:54

I'd rather stick pins in my eyes.

Oldnproud Sun 04-Oct-26 16:37:26

You won't have a leg to stand on.

Casdon Sun 04-Oct-26 16:37:24

Go boil your head.
He wears his brain in his trousers.

Trisha99 Sun 04-Oct-26 16:35:00

‘Hold your feet to the fire’😱