Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 8th October 2026

(15 Posts)
Grandmabatty Thu 08-Oct-26 06:48:16

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently 4° and dry. There's a lovely crescent moon above. GrandMattie definitely rest.
Yesterday I went to the school library and processed new books and put aside spooky books for the Halloween display. The schools here close on Friday for two weeks, so I will have a rest. Once home, I cleared out the airing cupboard and pulled out the dehumidifier. Then I emptied and cleaned the cupboard under the kitchen sink before throwing stuff away and reorganising it. The scraper and de-icer are sitting at the front ready for winter.
Today I will head back to the school library for a quick tidy then an unexpected visit to tesco for cinnamon and brown sugar. I went to make spiced red cabbage with apple yesterday but was missing some ingredients. This afternoon is art class so I will head to Stirling for that. Have a good day all..

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:47:23

Good morning it’s 7° with an expected high of 15° might have to dig out the coats 🙀

The teens are asleep, will leave them for a bit, then it will be all go. The cleaning fairies 🧚🧚‍♀️ are here this morning. I hope to get to the garden centre and farm shop today, veggies are low and I need to get a birthday gift.

Perhaps your body is telling you to slow down grandMattie

Gelisa Thu 08-Oct-26 06:46:49

Good morning from Morecambe bay where it is 4 degrees apparently and set to rise to only 13 degrees despite being sunny. There’s a lot of rain in the forecast for the next few days so I need to start putting my gardens to bed. I tell clients I only work between the clocks!
As well as his bad leg, DH has been contacted by the surgery to inform him his recent blood tests show him to be at the pre diabetic stage. They have invited him to join a treatment plan to prevent it developing into full blown diabetes. As a result a package was on our doorstop when we returned from walking the dog. It contained a fancy set of scales and a beautiful hardback book of recipes. It’s real quality. It’s no wonder running the NHS costs a fortune. DH has never been overweight and his BP is normal. Until very recently he did plenty of exercise. We eat as they suggest too with lots of veg. I don’t see how he can make many changes despite the book and the scales!
I was considering leaving the ballet class but I actually enjoyed it last night. It’s surprisingly how such small movements can make you ache!
Take care everyone 🌸

Ashcombe Thu 08-Oct-26 06:44:48

Good morning from a dry part of La Sarthe following a showery day yesterday. The soaking of the soil was most welcome!

It sounds as if it’s cooler in parts of the UK. Here it is still quite mild so we haven’t needed heating or extra bed covers yet. Our time will come!

I hope you soon feel more like your usual energetic self, grandMattie. I’m always impressed by the energy you and many others on here seem to have.

I hope everyone enjoys their day.
🦩🥰🦩💐🦩

Marzipan22 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:44:11

Good morning from Cornwall where it's dry and calm with sun forecast. Our mid week church group gathering was lovely. We're 13 altogether and most of us were there which is unusual bearing in mind it's mostly working mums. I was delighted to find that a new lady has, like me, chosen to be without a car and we walked into town afterwards chatting about the benefits. I've only ever met one other person who made the deliberate choice. She had even done what I did and moved home to be near public transport.

After our meeting I went to a corner mobile phone shop and spent a dollop of money on replacement chargers so that I don't have to keep moving them in my flat, then had an early supper in Wetherspoons, reading in a quiet corner.

Today I've a load of library books to return so will take them to the library in the town where my favourite charity shop is and see what's on their 50p rail. Then I'll hop on the next bus and see where it takes me.

My son took the robin photo yesterday.

madeleine45 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:31:29

Good morning Michael and all GN's from a very dark and silent yorkshire. Dont think there is any rain, cant hear anything anyway, so fingers crossed as the washer is already going with bedding stuff, which I hope to get out drying this morning.

Creaking around as is usual these days, somewhat frustrating, as can see exactly what needs doing, but struggling to get going. I have lots of things I need to do, and mentally able to know what wants doing first, but am having to do what I am can do rather than what really should take precedence. Added to which I dont know what the heck I have done with my phone. It seems to have disappeared, and having looked in all the usual places I still cant find it, so hope that the battery hasnt run down before it turns up!

Yesterday was a mixed day. I was struggling physically a lot, and my back was bad all day, not really easing up at all. Very frustrating, as it meant that things took so much longer to do, and of course my brain still thinks in timings when I could move very quickly so it gets maddening how slowly things get sorted. I am still hunting for various things, so did manage to get rid of quite a bit of out of date stuff, whilst looking for things. I am still of the old school for certain things, and whilst I save what I can in paper as with everything else, however when it comes to contracts of important things, I still insist on written paper, which I can easily check through, rather than minute script online , with the possibility of things disappearing or being in such small print that they hope you will miss out on devious changes to contracts. I do feel these days that there should be a law, that any changes to documents should be highlighted in yellow or something, so that you can easily pick out changes, and be made aware when such as insurance companies diminish say a length of time you are covered for something, where they bury such diminuation in cover or whatever buried in page 7 of a document.

The morning started with yet more mizzling light rain but they said it should clear a bit so took a chance and got some washing done, and cheers, by the time it was finished sohad the rain, and so using the yellow peril I managed to take it up to the washing lines and get it all out, despite struggling to reach up to the actual lines. I did a few other bits and in the afternoon went to the garden centre out of town, to meet a friend away from the traffic at the market. I had been so slow getting going that I had had very little to eat previously , so indulged myself with an afternoon tea or rather in my case an afternoon coffee with lovely fresh sandwiches and scone and little cakes. I went to sit at one of my favourite areas of the cafe, but found reserved places everywhere, so they must have been expecting a party of some group, so had to sit elsewhere, but no matter, we found somewhere that was ok and had a good time and stayed until just about their closing time.

It was very enjoyable and also allowed me to let my mind settle down a bit, as have had replies from the hospital and had rung up a help line, to try and understand things better, and let truth be told, hoping to wriggle out of treatment, or be told that a mistake had been made , but no . I am going to have to learn more but accept some treatment that I hadnt expected to need. I do miss my dear husband for so many things but especially things like this, having his sensible and reassuring advice and help in facing things. On my own, I find it hard to see the bright side to anything, and tend to worry about all and every possibility that could turn up. So it was really lovely to at least get my mind off it for a little while.

It was whist night so I got myself ready and got there in good time, but you can really see how week by week it is getting much darker when we arrive rather than only dark as we leave. I didnt win anything, and had some quite rubbish hands, but played well and made what I could with the cards I had , so it was a pleasant evening, and a full house again, which is good as the nights draw in. It is exactly what it should be in a village, a chance to get together and use our brains, in a warm and welcoming place, which for the sum of £4 a week, gives us pleasure and company and of course , we are all there to note if regulars dont arrive and we check up on people so again, for those who live alone, it is also that safety to know that you would be missed if you dont arrive or havent said you would not be coming that week, and we keep up with news of friends and neighbours, and write get well cards etc to people so it is a good community use of the village hall and a real sense of sharing and caring too. So hobbled home and slowly tidied up a bit and then to bed, vey tired but struggled to sleep. I do not want to start taking sleeping tablets, as in any case I think it is much more about pain stopping me sleeping, so if things dont improve soon I think I need to ask for some ideas on pain relief and hope that if I could have something that helped when I went to bed, maybe I might get into a better pattern. Oh for when you were young and just went to bed and to sleep without even thinking of it!!

Well today is frustrating thursday, when everything is on at the same time and I have to plan my morning to try and go to two meetings if possible and hope the washing will be drying and return and bring in the nicely dry and sweet smelling washing and then make some efforts to tidy up, and fingers crossed the cleaners will be here this afternoon, and so they willbe able to put away the summer clothes that I have sorted out, and sort out carpets and bedding etc., so everywhere will look somewhat better. Must remember toput out the recalcitant large jar of beetroot, which I have had no luck with opening, for Jessie to work her magic on too, No plans for this evening to go out or anything so it should be a restful evening after a busy day.

I hope you have a good trip into Bicester this morning Mick and meet friends. Hope you dont do too much and take things gently RosesandLilac but good to see you are on the mend. Hope things go well with your DH. Sometimes we think we can do something easily as we used to , but now find it takes a bit more effort than before. Well I might have to go and rescue the washing, It is making rather clunking sounds, so probably the sheets and duvet covers have got caught up, so if it has stopped the rinsing bit, I can open it up and redistribute the contents before the spinning begins. Time to have another hunt for the phone and then I shall come back to reae more news and views. Wishing everyone a good start to their day

GillyMo Thu 08-Oct-26 06:24:50

Good morning from a clear Herefordshire. Yesterday's rain was quite refreshing.

Today I have a yoga class and then a library visit to find a couple of books to read for next week because I will be staying in Wales with an elderly relative. The library collection is mostly hardbacks, but well-worn so not too clunky to open. Heavier to carry but the print tends to be larger than paperbacks.
Happy Thursday all.

NannyJan53 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:12:55

Good morning from a dark and fairly warm Black Country

Arrived home yesterday around 7pm. Seemed like a very long day.

Good to be home though. Washing to put on later. I should be on a walk today, but probably give it a miss.

DGD2 is enjoying her University experience so far, and has made a few friends already. Her first lecture was yesterday. May see her this Saturday for SIL's 70th family get together.

Will be on short rations for a few days, as I definitely ate too much. The breakfast at the hotel was so good, and I rarely eat breakfast!

Wishing you all the best day possible

Melanie61 Thu 08-Oct-26 06:12:35

Good morning from Sheffield
The family are here for tea. It’s the first time since before the school summer break that we have a full compliment.
So a house full . Love it. I’m doing a simple salmon and pasta in a creamy sauce.

The builder has made a start on the outside toilet. Good progress is being made.
I went in yesterday to have a chat with him. Looking round at his handiwork I looked up and just above my head was a huge spider. Massive he was. He had been disturbed from his usual dark cave of a home. I quickly departed as the builder shooed him away by touching his leg! I was off.
Can’t go far today as the builder is back

GrandMattie and Greyduster hope you both get your mojo back soon.

Take care everyone flowers

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 06:01:54

Good morning from a dark, chilly Stockport.
My phone says the temperature is 6, feels like 4, I can believe that.
I changed to a warmer duvet over the weekend and felt is was too warm but appreciate it now..
I felt well again yesterday after my couple of days off colour and have put it down to the Autumn jabs.
I visited my neighbour for a couple of hours and tonight I am out for an early meal with a friend.

I hope you all enjoy what today brings.

Greyduster Thu 08-Oct-26 05:47:58

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is dark and the sun is still in bed.

Yesterday was a lost day. I felt rough from the get go and apart from fetching the bin in off the road, I didn’t go out. The only productive thing I did was to persuade my house insurer to lower the farcical premium they sent me for this year. They agreed to hold it to last year’s! I then trawled the internet looking at car insurance quotes, which were way beyond the realms of fantasy! I decided to tackle it again when feel stronger!! I have a few weeks yet.

Today I will go out with the walking group and have my usual lunch with DD. I feel warm clothing will be required today. Winter drawers on!

Have the best day you can, folks.

grandMattie Thu 08-Oct-26 05:46:53

Good morning from Bristol, where it’s dark and dry. 8C atm, but staying in the low teens.
I had my first hot water bottle of the season when going to bed last night. With only night storage heaters, it’s difficult to know when to switch them on, as the heat release isn’t always at the timeline needs it.
Yesterday went well at the FAB cafe, although we had unexpected news. My regular, dependable AgeUK volunteer who has become a good friend is moving away from the immediate area at the end of the month and will no longer be able to help. 😢. She is planning on starting one where she’s going.
People have been commenting that I look tired - I think that the recent church events, culminating with my double jabs on Saturday have taken their toll and I’m feeling very tired. I’m sleeping a lot more and doing much less, so hope I’ll be back , full of beans, quite soon. (My arm is still sore).
Just t’ai chi today. DD has cancelled dinner at theirs tonight so the rest of the day is mine.
May you all have an excellent day. Carpe diem 🦩🦩🌹🦩

HelterSkelter1 Thu 08-Oct-26 05:39:10

Good morning from a dark N Surrey. Not sure what it is like outside yet, but it was cold and wet all day yesterday. I needed socks and a sweater. How I longed for cold weather during the summer roasting. I must remind myself when I moan about being chilly.
A good day to all.

RosesandLilac Thu 08-Oct-26 05:31:43

Good morning, it’s dry and 6° here in south Glos.
The rain yesterday was welcome, it didn’t last long and it was a chilly day so I lit the wood burner late morning.
Today is housework and a good tidying up, needs must then I can have a quiet afternoon while DH is out collecting his sister from hospital. He’s getting very het up about doing it (he volunteered!) and I just hope it goes well 😬. He’s completely confused me about the arrangements he’s made with his siblings so 🤷🏼‍♀️, I’m keeping well out of it!
I started knitting a pair of socks for a friend, I enjoy making them and I know the pattern by heart.
Best wishes to everyone x
🌹

Michael12 Thu 08-Oct-26 04:51:37

Good Morning Everyone,
A dark but dry start here in Brackley this morning.
Today an early bus to Bicester have a coffee plus, then maybe a beer followed by a shop and speak to people I know.
Have heard from Neurology nurse at Churchill Oxford ,may have MRI scan in next few weeks, with maybe a surgery after.
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick