Gransnet forums

Chat

Supermarket staff - engaging with the customer?

(51 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 24-Sep-14 10:16:14

Morning all,

Since starting work, I have had to use an Asda on occasions, as it is only 2 minutes away from the office.

I must say I have never liked it, can't be sure if it's that particular branch as I've never been to any others, but there's something awful about the lighting and the layout, fells a bit like being in a scaled down version of the wrong sort of French hypermarket circa 1992.

Anyway, I digress. I have noticed lately that every time go in, no matter which till I go to the assistant comments on at least one item of my shopping.

"ooh chicken and chorizo pasta, that looks nice!" (well yes, that's why I'm buying it. Actually it was vile, but that's beside the point)

"Is this wine really only £3 a bottle?" (If that what the scanner says, it must be, mustn't it? {It was reduced to clear and was a lovely light, easy white}but please don't bring it to the attention of other shoppers because then they will stampede to buy it and there will be none left, which is why I have 12 bottles of it in my trolley blush )

"Mmmm lemon mousse, is that for your pudding?" (No, there was an article in the Daily Mail, so it must be true, and it was recommended as an anti cellulite cream, I'm going to smear it over my buttocks once I get home)

The only time this doesn't happen is if I'm just buying a newspaper and a Twix (or similar)

My theory is that staff have been told to do this as a way of "engaging with the customer" or some such twaddle.

I would like to test this theory by going to the till with a basket containing:

Haemorrhoid cream
Denture fixative (and cleaner for good measure)
A large pack of assorted condoms
Some of that "Play" stuff that they have next to the aforementioned items
Athletes foot powder
Incontinence pads
Head lice treatment
Lubricating jelly

I would like to add that I have no need of any of these items except one, and that's only because I have a bad cough at the moment blush

I wonder which item they would choose to comment on then and what would they say?

GillT57 Wed 24-Sep-14 10:18:20

grin

kittylester Wed 24-Sep-14 10:37:06

Let us know Phoenix. grin

HildaW Wed 24-Sep-14 10:55:39

Phoenix, we have a new Waitrose nearby and methinks the staff have had a similar training scheme, they seem to want to chat about all sorts of things.....'What are you doing this afternoon?' 'Oh you're buying strawberries...I love them...how do you grow them?' 'Oh you've got some nice olive oil...when I lived in Italy...blah blah blah'.........All I want is smart professionalism and a smooth trip through the checkout. I have not come in for a chat, I have come in to buy my groceries.

Local Morrisons have the right mix...a friendly greeting.....they concentrate on what they are doing, offer help for packing and remind you to check if you have any vouchers and then bid you a cheery and genuine sounding 'goodbye, see you again'.

Anne58 Wed 24-Sep-14 11:17:05

I know what you mean Hilda

When I was designing mystery shopping programmes I had to get across to the client that although mystery shoppers can tick the box as in "did this happen, yes/no" for example "were you offered help with your packing?" if the shopper was asked for a sentence or two to say what they thought of the whole experience, the answers were bound to be subjective.

Someone nipping in on their lunch break wants to get in and out as quickly as possible, whereas someone living alone might welcome the chance for a chat, if you see what I mean?

Nonnie Wed 24-Sep-14 11:20:20

No Phoenix its you! I've watched the assistants and they hardly say anything to some customers but are friendly and outgoing to others, yes, including me. It must be because you smile at them and treat them as normal human beings instead of ignoring them or treating them as part of the supermarket fixtures! smile

Ana Wed 24-Sep-14 11:29:27

Perhaps that's part of their training too, Nonnie, to use their own judgement. If a customer looks taciturn and non-communicative they probably don't want any chit-chat, and vice versa.

HildaW Wed 24-Sep-14 11:30:22

Oh I fully appreciate there will be those who do want a chat.....a few years time I could be a lonely old thing on my own and I'd be glad of the chance.
My annoyance with the newly trained staff at this Waitrose is that they keep trying to chat with you as if you are an old friend despite the fact that I eventually start to give monosyllabic answers and the queue is quickly building up. My quotes were just a snippet of what I have heard.
A friendly genuine sounding greeting....competent handling of till and goods....not being distracted by others and a friendly exchange of greetings at the end with perhaps a few comments as to weather/choice of flowers etc is perfectly adequate. What I've experienced (and husband agrees - and he's a much nicer/tolerant person than me) - is an almost one sided running comment on all and sundry during which time the staff member stops scanning several times. Yes, its all very nice and friendly but its as if they are not using any common sense to differentiate between the quite obvious different types of shoppers.

HildaW Wed 24-Sep-14 11:32:48

Oh and P.S. I worked behind the tills at a Waitrose a few years ago...and we were expected to be swift yet polite and professional.

Anya Wed 24-Sep-14 11:44:00

That is the funniest post I've read on GN so far Phoenix thanks for making me LOL grin

Kiora Wed 24-Sep-14 12:04:25

grin but I thought the reason was because they liked me��

Anne58 Wed 24-Sep-14 12:04:26

Thank you Anya! Are you new?

Nonnie Wed 24-Sep-14 12:23:52

Oh Hilda I wouldn't like it if it slowed the process down, I think ours just get the balance right, pleasant but not intrusive. It didn't occur to me that they had been told to do it I just thought they were nice people as everyone seems to be round here

HildaW Wed 24-Sep-14 12:26:01

Nonnie...when it sounds genuine then they have got it right....well done them.

Iam64 Wed 24-Sep-14 13:22:13

Phoenix, I love your list of items with which to test your theory, it made me laugh.

HollyDaze Wed 24-Sep-14 14:03:56

I think a few of ours could do with going on the 'friendly course' - you're lucky if they even acknowledge you exist until it comes to you having pay!

Anne58 Wed 24-Sep-14 14:09:59

I suppose if I'd added a pregnancy testing kit it might have been seen as wandering into the realms of the surreal.........................

Anya Wed 24-Sep-14 14:10:58

Been around for a couple of weeks Phoenix I needed cheering up and that certainly did the trick sunshine

Gagagran Wed 24-Sep-14 14:22:20

Phoenix you are a case! Always make me smile! Hope the new job is OK and you are settling in and making them glad they found you. Are the furry boys missing you though?

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 24-Sep-14 14:35:06

phoenix

I would like to test this theory by going to the till with a basket containing:

Haemorrhoid cream
Denture fixative (and cleaner for good measure)
A large pack of assorted condoms
Some of that "Play" stuff that they have next to the aforementioned items
Athletes foot powder
Incontinence pads
Head lice treatment
Lubricating jelly

I would like to add that I have no need of any of these items except one, and that's only because I have a bad cough at the moment blush

I wonder which item they would choose to comment on then and what would they say?

I had no idea that haemmorrhoid cream worked as a cough linctus grin

Anya Wed 24-Sep-14 14:48:44

You learn something new every day on this forum!

sunseeker Wed 24-Sep-14 14:50:25

I've just got back from my local Sainsburys, I have a busy couple of days in front of me and was mentally going through everything I needed to get done when the check out assistant tried to engage me in conversation, as my mind was elsewhere I didn't hear what she said so said "pardon?" at which point she must have thought I was a deaf old biddy and ignored me for the rest of the transaction (which suited me perfectly!)

Charleygirl Wed 24-Sep-14 14:52:56

The staff at my local Waitrose are friendly but professional. I have known one or two since it opened around 12 years ago so I do not mind if they moan if they are working 3 lates on the trot. I usually ask first if they are working late. Nobody has ever commented on my groceries but I may point out to them if something in my trolley was really good if it was a fairly new item.

Anne58 Wed 24-Sep-14 14:56:00

Cari grin grin

HildaW Wed 24-Sep-14 14:57:52

Phoenix's list has reminded me of the time I was a very naïve Saturday girl working in a small branch of Boots....back in the day when they had separate departments. I wanted to be a glamorous make-up girl (If only I had known how to be glamorous) but was put on the Surgical counter instead (mainly because my Mum was there during the week).
I would be asked for all sorts of things I had no idea about - the one I shall always remember was being asked by a perfectly smart youngish man for some 'protectives' and I dashed around asking everyone what that meant....I honestly did not have a clue.