Gransnet forums

Chat

Advice on living in Norfolk please

(51 Posts)
porcupine2 Fri 01-Jan-16 09:11:28

We are thinking of moving to Norfolk but where to live? We have read that several Norfolk hospitals are in trouble - is this true and what sort of service do they deliver?
Which areas have better transport links to the towns and facilities?
Are there areas to avoid?smile

seacliff Sat 02-Jan-16 18:01:53

I was going to suggest somewhere near Colchester, as it has attractive countryside, quite a bit to do, easier transport to London. However, the Colchester Hospital is in a very poor state (special measures).

Perhaps before moving anywhere, you should think where you might want to travel to on a regular basis, ie visiting family/friends, then use aa route finder to see estimated driving times/routes. Try and be fairly central for visitiing them all.

Also, do you want to go to London quite a bit? It takes about 2 hours from Norwich. You are a bit out on a limb there. Depends what you like. Norwich itself is much more cosmopolitan than the villages.

The East coast is very cold compared to south coast, quite bleak and windswept.

One place I liked was Deal in Kent. Quite villagey, and reasonable prices last time I looked. Wouldn't want to be too near Dover though, with the problems with refugees.

Treebee Sat 02-Jan-16 20:37:42

I was brought up in Norfolk, but left in the early 1970s. My family still lives there and they love it.
It's great for a holiday but I wouldn't want to live there again unless it was in Norwich. As others have said a car is essential. If you want access to train stations Norwich or Lynn are best as Dr Beeching got rid of the lines that used to service other towns. There's a direct line to London from Diss so you could look there.

Eloethan Sun 03-Jan-16 00:47:04

I have some friends who moved - briefly - to Norfolk. Despite them being able to buy a lovely house there, they absolutely hated it. They are very friendly and easy going but they found the locals very stand offish. After a couple of years they sold up and are much happier back in London, even though it meant paying a lot more for a much smaller house.

They were near Great Yarmouth but perhaps they would have got on better if they had moved to Norwich.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 01:08:58

Check the flood maps before you decide.

My son lived in Acle for a few years, a pretty village between Norwich and Yarmouth. He would not be able to get insurance for the house he bought then as it is in the flooding zone now.
My youngest granddaughter was born in the James Paget hospital. She should have been born in Norwich, but the maternity ward was closed because there were no beds. That was eight years ago. That probably will not bother you, but it bothered them.

We lived in Stalham forty years ago. That has expanded beyond belief, but Aylsham and North Walsham are still okay. I think it was Aylsham that fought Tesco and won a few years ago.
We always used to say we would like to move back to Norwich, but when we were looking for a guest house, we found that the Norwich Tourist Information bureau was closed on a Sunday in July. That might not be so now, and you might think it an advantage.

We liked Swaffham. It has the only wind turbine that you can climb up, belonging to Ecotricity.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 01:16:40

Seacliff, just read your bit about travelling to visit others. The worst road ever is the A47. It goes on for ever, and you're always stuck behind a tractor or a slow lorry with nowhere to overtake.
When we moved to Norfolk it was a Saturday night in early December. We had to ask a local how to find the place we were looking for. He told us that we had to carry on until we found a wide road. When it narrowed again the place would be just after that.
We were expecting a dual carriage way, but he actually did mean where the road widened and then narrowed. We almost missed it, as we were looking for the dual carriageway.
When people complain about motorways, the Norfolk joke is what's a motorway.

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Jan-16 08:47:52

We do now have a complete dual carriage way though DJ - the A11 - and folk are worrying about it may increase the crime rate!

I'd be careful if you're moving here to check where the new estates (sorry developments) are being built. Costessey, where we lived for 35 years is being developed fast. Wymondham too. Not so much West Norfolk - more rural and has the best train route to London. I live in Aylsham (which did loose out to Tesco in the end) and can recommend small town living. We still have quite a few local shops, there's more going on and it's very welcoming. And generally have a half hourly bus service! (Nothing at night.) Wroxham has a train line - and station(!) but it's best to forget rail travel except for the tedious journey to London.

The Norfolk and Norwich (N&N) hospital is very good - but it was built too small and is often on black alert for emergencies. DS and DiL live near Kings Lynn and say the QE2 is the same. Fine, if you're not in a hurry!

As has been said Norwich is vibrant and I believe in the top five nationally for shopping, although we don't go in much as we have good shops and Holt (more expensive and more cut off) has really nice shops. Wroxham is good for most basic stuff too. For suburbs of Norwich, Eaton and Cringleford is the posh bit and has the best bus route into the centre, Costessey and Sprowston are being developed big time if you're looking for new build, Thorpe, Catton (has the airport and the helicopters can be noisy), Hellesdon (the other side of the airport) are middle of the range.

So much depends on what you like to do, health, etc. We like watery stuff so Aylsham suits us fine. We did look at Woxham/Hoveton as I grew up there but nothing we like came on the market at the right time.

If you're more cosmopolitan it's worth looking at living more centrally in Norwich, although you will pay a hefty premium for somewhere with parking. (There is a fast growing car pool/share system). There's a lot to consider but, talking to friends who have moved here from London, the main thing is the change in pace, life suddenly becomes much, much slower and London no longer exists. It's somewhere as foreign (and difficult to get too) as Paris, or Manchester! Norfolk is still quite insular.

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Jan-16 08:50:02

Sorry, I went on a bit there! The other thing, which has already been said, is avoid being actually on the coast. It is cold! A lot of folk holiday in Cromer and the retire there. The saying is, they either die in the first winter - or live forever!

seacliff Sun 03-Jan-16 09:49:13

Yes Nfk, I agree about the roads! It takes a long time to get anywhere. Coming from south Essex it will probably seem very rural.

We've thought of moving to another area at times. It's such a big step. Ideally you'd rent a place and live there for 6 months at least, before you'd really know if it's for you.

NfkDumpling Sun 03-Jan-16 10:22:17

Also, if anyone is looking at the Norwich area - check the route of the Northern Distributor Road (NDR). It looks as if it's now actually going to be built! It was first planned in 1935 which gives some idea of how much notice central government gives to this area.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 12:07:36

You are better off than in Northumberland, Nfk. The A1 hasn't been dualled yet.
Is the A11 dualled all the way to the M11 now?
We always used to have to travel up north, so used to go to Peterborough on the A47 to the A1.
Getting to sound like my bus driver dad now!

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 12:14:18

Anyone else remember that Arnold Wesker play about Norfolk?
They just sat in a kitchen and talked in a Norfolk accent.
Can't remember what it was called, but I think it was on the A level syllabus for a few years.

rosesarered Sun 03-Jan-16 15:52:31

Or Boomers, isn't that set in Norfolk?

annaleise Sun 03-Jan-16 18:57:46

Norfolk and Norwich university Hospital is the main hospital.if you are thinking of moving to Norfolk the town of Wymondham is very nice and has links to the Hospital and is also on the train service to Norwich or Cambridge ,London ect,
hope this helps

grumppa Sun 03-Jan-16 19:51:09

Roots, by Arnold Wesker. Joan Plowright's first great success.

And why no mention of Norfolk's oldest dual carriageway, between Scottow and Wroxham Barns? True, the road is unclassified and there's only one lane in each direction and it's only about half-a-mile long, but that's Norfolk for you.

Penstemmon Sun 03-Jan-16 20:28:05

I would make an 'Essentials' list of the amenities/ practicalities that you won't compromise on, that helps to stop you being carried a way with a perfect house in the wrong place!

When we moved from suburban London I knew I wanted to be able to walk to a grocery shop, have good links to London & have a nearby town.

The house itself was less important, except I did want a reasonable garden, not too big but more than a pocket handkerchief & DH was against a bungalow as he associated that with being old confused We were moving to be closer to our family so we could offer practical childcare support & we are not fully retired so had to have good road networks to get to work!

I would also consider how you imagine you will be spending all your time in Norfolk. You have indicated that church/ military/monarchy are not your scene but you need to decide what your scene is and make sure you will find it nearby! Since moving here I have got involved in different social/voluntary groups but DH has not. I worry about that for when he fully retires!

etheltbags1 Sun 03-Jan-16 20:42:27

I so envy anyone moving to Norfolk or anywhere in East Anglia. I have had a couple of holidays there and I love the place it is so dreamy and atmospheric with big skies and lots of wind. Jus the reading of the place names make my spine tingle. Lucky people who live there. (mind I still love my cheviots too).

Treebee Sun 03-Jan-16 20:55:53

I agree, Norfolk is great on holiday, especially if the north wind doesn't blow.
True story, when I first lived in London I remarked on seeing elderly ladies with no cardigans on, I'd never seen that in Norfolk!
You are very isolated there. Great on a break, not so good if you need a dentist or want to go to the cinema.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 22:57:42

Grumppa, Wroxham Barns did not exist when we lived in Stalham. It was just Roy's of Wroxham. No dual carriageway. The bridge was a bailey bridge which lifted to let boats through. In the summer my husband used to work until 7p.m. every night, just to avoid being stuck in a traffic jam for an hour.

durhamjen Sun 03-Jan-16 22:58:24

Thanks for reminding me of Roots, by the way.

merlotgran Sun 03-Jan-16 23:05:26

Everything in Wroxham is Roy's grin

I love Norfolk but agree with all the above posts. Great for a holiday - the Walsingham area is achingly beautiful but too remote for us.

East Cambridgeshire has a lot to offer and it's close to the Norfolk and Suffolk borders.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Jan-16 08:38:47

The traffic crawl through Wroxham is even worse now DJ! And they're building more houses! Grumppas 'dual carriageway' is still there. I'll take a picture next time we go that way!

Norfolk is a very big and diverse county. A big sausage - very different in the west to the east. The Broads and the Brecks are very different and so is the south of the county. So much depends on your interests and how often you want to get out of the county.

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Jan-16 08:41:53

And Yes, DJ we actually do now have a dual carriageway ALL THE WAY from Norwich to London on the A11!!!

Some people find it quicker, if going north, to go A11, A14 and so across to the A1M rather than via Kings Lynn.

downtoearth Mon 04-Jan-16 09:29:47

we where lucky Norfolk could have turned out truly awful for us especially as we had no time in which to decide it was literally stick a pin in a map and get out of town for your own safety we had a 10 day window.We have made a huge effort as we are not able to relocate due to finances and resident teenager's schooling/and now college studies...perhaps mid norfolk would suit you better there is the small town of East Dereham which would give you links by bus service to either Kings lynn/Norwhich there are buses to NNUR (hospital),open countryside and small villages also close by,shops arent brilliant but you will not starve grin have you, if finances allow,thought of taking a private rent on a perhaps 3month contract through winter to see how you feel you would fit in.
I found by doing voluntary work I was able to make contact with people,and I found sat nav invaluble.
I found by having an open mind helped,this was never going to be like living in Essex with shops and buses on the doorstep,here everyone local is related in some way and people are insular,BUT the crime rate is low.Be prepared for a quick trip to the shops to take at least half a day,shopping itself may not take long,but the travelling does especially if you get behind a tractor,the pace of life is so much slower,and I have found people aren't as materialistic.
I love living here I wouldnt go back to Essex,my grandaughter has thrived.
I have family and friends in Essex it takes around 2-2.5 hours to travel back to visit....am waffling now sorry blush.

downtoearth Mon 04-Jan-16 09:32:39

oh and kings Lynn has a good train service to kings cross and cambridge.

M0nica Mon 04-Jan-16 15:24:54

...and it is a lovely journey. DD lives in north Hertforshire and often uses the train service for days out in Kings Lynn. The fisherman's museum contains lots of information on fishing families, many of which share my relatively uncommon surname. Yet search though we do we cannot find any link between hDH's family and Kings Lynn. They have all lived in Buckinghamshire for hundreds of years.