Gransnet forums

Chat

Songs that make the tears flow

(154 Posts)
gillybob Sun 16-Oct-16 11:57:06

Just listening to Radio 2 this morning and pottering on doing a bit of housework. DH is at work (for a change) and suddenly this song comes on the radio. It never fails to really upset me. Maybe I am just feeling particularly pathetic and sorry for myself at the minute.

Is it just me, or are there any songs that have that effect on you?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDeTu6rpN-4

shysal Sun 16-Oct-16 12:19:28

I heard Bette Midler's Wind Beneath my Wings on Desert Island Discs this morning. It always moves me to tears but I have no idea why!
Another is Bruno Mars singing When I was your Man. That one makes me wonder whether DD1's idiot ex ever has any regrets over his behaviour.

shysal Sun 16-Oct-16 12:22:30

Oh! and the signature tune of BBC's coverage of the London Marathon. Again I have no idea why it affects me!

Greyduster Sun 16-Oct-16 12:42:27

"Songbird" sung by Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie always affects me. And Bryn Terfyl singing "The Lads in their Hundreds" which I always play around Armistice Day and which always brings tears to my eyes.

Kittye Sun 16-Oct-16 12:48:41

Bruno Mars "When I was your man"
Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli " Time to say goodbye". Get teary just thinking about them!

LadyGracie Sun 16-Oct-16 13:38:25

What a wonderful world by Louis Armstrong and the hymn Jerusalem, guaranteed to make my eyes wet!

Anniebach Sun 16-Oct-16 13:45:52

Streisand singing Evergreen and The Way We Were and anyone singing Myfanwy

BBbevan Sun 16-Oct-16 13:49:45

When you walk through a storm, from Carousel. My mantra for life

NanSue Sun 16-Oct-16 14:02:33

Footprints in the sand, Leona Lewis

DanniRae Sun 16-Oct-16 14:03:08

I cannot listen to Adele singing "Million Years Ago" without tears flowing. It's the line "I miss my mother.........". I am getting emotional just typing this. sad

NanSue Sun 16-Oct-16 14:04:33

Oh! and Dance with my Father, Luther Vandross

Maggiemaybe Sun 16-Oct-16 14:05:10

In the Living Years, Mike and the Mechanics. Or just about anything else that's even vaguely sad, really. I can shed tears over the Christmas adverts smile

DanniRae Sun 16-Oct-16 14:16:07

Me too Maggie - it's so embarrassing.

Willow500 Sun 16-Oct-16 14:17:50

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LK3NuxO3Ke0 I've cried buckets listening to this song driving home in the car from visiting my father in hospital before he passed away and then again when my cat was dying - even now it still gets to me sad Ashamed to say it even happened when they played a festival which was a bit embarrassing!

merlotgran Sun 16-Oct-16 14:26:54

I don't have a particular song that moves me to tears but I am often caught unawares.

I was driving to the village yesterday when Dean Friedman's 'Lucky Stars' came on the radio. This song came out at a time when a dear family friend lost his only daughter so the words, 'Did you see, Lisa? Yes I saw Lisa.' took me back to that terribly sad time.

I was also weeping over the ironing when Peter Gabriel's, 'That'll Do' was played at Terry Wogan's memorial service - live on Radio 2.

hildajenniJ Sun 16-Oct-16 15:20:00

The duet from "The Pearl Fishers" gets me every time I hear it. Also, my Dad was the standard bearer for the local branch of the British Legion. We had to attend the parade and service every Remembrance Sunday. I couldn't get all the way through "Oh valiant hearts" without weeping uncontrollably.
here's my favourite pearl Fishers recording

tanith Sun 16-Oct-16 15:23:26

Jerusalem does it for me every time.

KatyK Sun 16-Oct-16 15:27:11

Living years for me too, Crying by Roy Orbison Everything I Own (I think that's what it is called) by Bread

vampirequeen Sun 16-Oct-16 16:49:06

Matt Munro singing 'Softly'

Bbnan Sun 16-Oct-16 17:50:27

Living years for me too and when I'm old and wise Alan parsons .....I made it through the rain ..Barry Manilow....they get me every time

Bbnan Sun 16-Oct-16 17:56:48

Forgot lonely boy ...Andrew gold and really love to see you tonight....England Dan and john Ford Coley ....also carpenters sons
Gs

stillaliveandkicking Sun 16-Oct-16 17:59:01

The one that still brings a little tear to my eye 17 years later is "Dance with my Father again" It reminds me of dancing with my dad, I'd still love one more dance with him sad

Maggymay Sun 16-Oct-16 18:19:51

Katie Melua singing 'Keep the home fires burning'. She sang this at the Festival of remembrance a few years ago and it always brings a lump to my throat.

Anya Sun 16-Oct-16 18:28:33

Precious Child by Karen Taylor Good

Anya Sun 16-Oct-16 18:32:03

kittye ice asked for that version of Time to Say Goodbye to be played at my funeral.