Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer sandals for children

(84 Posts)
flippy Wed 26-Apr-17 11:36:14

(Don't worry this has nothing to do with Shoe Zone grin)

But I was shopping for a baby gift for a friend's new GC and it occurred to me how wide the variety of styles is these days. So much choice. When I was in primary school long ago it was Clarks (the ones with the buckles and the holes cut out at the front) or Clarks! Virtually the entire class had the same. How times have changed

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 11:40:09

Yes and when they got too small my father used to cut the fronts off to make peep toes!!

flippy Wed 26-Apr-17 11:47:03

I was trying to find a photo - this is the closest but ours were always brown

flippy Wed 26-Apr-17 11:47:36

whitewave grin

nannylaine Wed 26-Apr-17 11:57:09

Everyone in the class had these! I'm not sure there was such a thing as choice in those days. How times have changed.

vampirequeen Wed 26-Apr-17 12:26:54

Oh goodness those have brought back memories.

They are still school uniform shoes in South Africa. They wear them right up to sixth form. I wish they wore them here. Far more sensible than the things I see many children wearing.

Galen Wed 26-Apr-17 12:27:55

I used to wear those as well

whitewave Wed 26-Apr-17 12:28:50

I also bought them for my children - that or start rite. Cost an arm and a leg too.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 26-Apr-17 12:55:07

I had those too! Year in, year out

Ilovecheese Wed 26-Apr-17 13:36:26

whitewave Toes cut off mine too!

harrigran Wed 26-Apr-17 13:38:21

I wore these as did DC. I can not imagine GC wearing them though, eldest is eleven and wears size 6 which limits the styles she can wear.
When did children start getting such big feet ? I used to tease her and say she was such a good swimmer because she had flippers not feet.

Gagagran Wed 26-Apr-17 13:46:47

Mine were Kilties but very similar in style to the picture. Toes cut out of mine too and worn for playing out when they got a bit small!

Christinefrance Wed 26-Apr-17 13:50:39

Startrite were for my children, made locally in Norwich I think.

Penstemmon Wed 26-Apr-17 14:03:50

Yup..I had those too and I think DDs did. Also recall the fronts cut off to see the summer out! Almost impossible to find a lightweight pair of sandals for primary kids to wear to school (closed toes!)

Nandalot Wed 26-Apr-17 14:23:13

Just bought some for DGD but in blue. (Startrite) (She is six). First shoes with buckles. She had no choice as very tiny feet and very, very narrow. These were the only ones in the shop to fit her. Luckily she loves them!

TerriBull Wed 26-Apr-17 14:28:25

Am overcome with a wave of nostalgia, my sandals, pretty much always brown, nevertheless a break from the winter lace ups, think they were black, or maybe brown confused However, I did get a white pair of sandals, in a slightly more attractive style if I remember rightly for my First Holy Communion smile

Such a thrill to get your feet measured, loved that bit, going up a size or even half a size.

Marydoll Wed 26-Apr-17 14:47:21

I have an pair of white adult sandals which I bought last summer. They are almost identical to the Clark's ones ones I wore as a child. It must have been a case of nostalgia which made me buy them.

grannylyn65 Wed 26-Apr-17 15:37:32

Yep !!

ElaineI Wed 26-Apr-17 15:54:02

Yes I wore these! However summers seemed longer then! Be hard pushed to get more than 2 weeks worth of consistently dry weather over the entire summer months in Scotland!
Last year DGS was 2 and would not wear sandals. He wore his stompos and doodles both from Clarks. DD worked in Clarks when she was at school and uni so feels duty bound to buy shoes there.
Does anyone remember Tuf lacing school shoes? I was made to wear these to school and hated them!

Welshwife Wed 26-Apr-17 16:02:59

My friend had a pair of Clarke's sandals like the ones in the picture - brand new. She was late going home for her tea from the field we were playing in - our friend's big brother came to the rescue with his bike and told her to hop on the cross bar and he would give her a ride. All going swimmingly - till she caught the heel of a sandal in the front wheel of the bike and the spokes took it off! When she got home her dad was out looking for her and she had to explain the damage.

The colours and styles of the shoes and sandals in the shops now are wonderful. The DGC have some that light up - a constant source of amusement to them.

grandma60 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:08:32

Do you remember the xray machine in Clarke's shoe shops to see if your new shoes fitted?

pat834 Wed 26-Apr-17 16:11:44

Yes!

vampirequeen Thu 27-Apr-17 09:51:49

It was the high spot of getting new shoes. The joy of seeing the xray of my foot. I loved watching my toes wiggle.

sue01 Thu 27-Apr-17 10:20:38

Oh my ! Yes I wore those ! It was a part of our Summer Holidays - a visit to Street in Somerset where Clarke's had a factory shop. And yes it meant a turn on the X-Ray machine. Happy days !

Bellanonna Thu 27-Apr-17 10:34:56

Toes cut here, too