Gransnet forums

Chat

Summer of 69

(193 Posts)
mcem Sat 24-Jun-17 11:18:53

Featured at Glastonbury! Was that the best time of your life?

It certainly was one of my best times.
Graduated from St A, got married, moved to London, started an interesting well-paid job!

The arrival of my children and a few happy years as SAHM surpassed it but it's still a fond memory!

ninathenana Sat 24-Jun-17 11:22:43

15 and still at school grin

durhamjen Sat 24-Jun-17 11:24:47

My son was born then. I remember it being very hot until the day he was born when there was a thunderstorm!

cornergran Sat 24-Jun-17 11:39:26

The year we married and I was 21. No money, little furniture, outside loo - very happy smile.

shysal Sat 24-Jun-17 11:55:07

Was pregnant with my first daughter. Holidayed with friends on Anglesey. Think I am right in saying it was the year of the first man on the moon.moon
Yes, one of the best years of my life.

nanaK54 Sat 24-Jun-17 12:07:01

Like nina I was still at school grin

HillyN Sat 24-Jun-17 12:21:30

I was 15 and I went on an exchange visit to France at Easter. The French girl stayed with us when the moon landing happened in July and I remember us sitting up to watch it together. We took her to London one weekend, camped in a tent by the Thames somewhere and woke up on the Sunday morning to find the campsite flooded and our lilos floating!

Anniebach Sat 24-Jun-17 12:33:30

Our first daughter was born and we were moved back to South Wales

nanasam Sat 24-Jun-17 12:33:45

21 and working for BOAC as a passenger services agent. A uniformed job which sounded very glamorous but wasn't when you had to carry babies with pooey nappies and help lug bedding rolls for smelly passengers who cleared their nose by blowing it onto windows!
The music of that time, however, was fantastic. Married DH in 1970 and stopped the shift work when I became pregnant.

NonnaW Sat 24-Jun-17 12:52:46

Aged 15, left school at the Easter so working as office junior.

Galen Sat 24-Jun-17 12:54:42

Just finishing my house jobs. Exhausted. Preparing to join my father in general practice

Bellanonna Sat 24-Jun-17 13:06:05

29. Working for UN in Rome, desperately trying to keep away from the sun. Later in the summer pregnant with first daughter.

silverlining48 Sat 24-Jun-17 13:12:01

So young, 21 and just married. Lived in a small damp flat which turned my husbands trouser zips green..but the summer of 69 was hot and sunny and damp was not evident til a few months later. No money, second hand furniture, beach mats as carpets, but happy. Still together about to celebrate 48 years next month.

Auntieflo Sat 24-Jun-17 13:15:48

I was 27 and we had recently moved to our new house, from a bungalow. The children thought it a great adventure having to go upstairs to bed. Making friends with all the new neighbours and families. Feeling out in the sticks, as there was only two buses an hour. shock, but we are atill here, so it must have been alright.

Anya Sat 24-Jun-17 13:21:23

Just finished probationary year teaching in Kirkby hmm and landed new job for September at newly-built school in a 'good' area and got married.

Katek Sat 24-Jun-17 13:37:45

Tripping around in long cheesecloth skirts and love beads in uni hols. Heading for Isle of Wight to see Dylan and Reading Festival to see the Floyd. Fantastic summer.

g.co/kgs/2ruzoc

Kupari45 Sat 24-Jun-17 13:49:25

Summer of 69 we went to live at Changi Singapore for 3 years. O.H.in RAF. So many places to visit in Far East. Once we got used to heat It was a very happy time in our lives, daughter born in 1970.

rosesarered Sat 24-Jun-17 13:55:40

The Summer that we got engaged ( first and only diamond ring) went to live in London with Mr Roses, and discovered the excitement of taking the tube to work and back ( jammed in like sardines!)

petra Sat 24-Jun-17 13:59:12

I don't remember it wink

annodomini Sat 24-Jun-17 14:00:41

Was teaching in Kenys. Went camping with then BF in the Maasai Mara game reserve, beside the Mara river. We must have been nuts! We didn't see another human being for four days but the baboons tried to steal our toilet rolls and I'm sure there were lions'paw marks not far away. On the way back my Beetle got stuck in a gigantic pothole and a truckload of workers helped to haul it out!

mcem Sat 24-Jun-17 14:21:41

Wow! Sounds like it really was a pretty good summer for lots of us!!

ginny Sat 24-Jun-17 14:36:55

Still at school, year before GCSE s.
Very very short dresses, very good legs ! Ah , memories.

ninathenana Sat 24-Jun-17 14:50:52

Katek I had forgotten it was '69 that my first boyfriend who was 18 at the time went to see Dylan on I.O.W. I was mega jealous at the thought of what he was up too grin

BBbevan Sat 24-Jun-17 15:17:59

I had a four year old then. We, me,DH and DD went to Boscombe with my Mum and Dad. We had a beach hut and we watched the spectacular Bournemouth carnival. Great days

gillybob Sat 24-Jun-17 15:19:34

I was 7 . Seems like yesterday.