Gransnet forums

Chat

Holiday packing !

(61 Posts)
Lilypops Wed 18-Jul-18 19:31:06

It,s that time of year again , what to pack for my holidays,, I always take too much just in case,, The shoes, which tops , which trousers , how many cozzies. , how many shorts, I get so stressed about it , I end up packing unpacking several times, We are going for 10 days to a villa in Majorca, , some help required here please GN,s ?

Lilypops Wed 18-Jul-18 19:35:04

Oh, and whether to take a swim hat to save my hair from being wrecked by chlorine, I saw a fabulous one on the Miu Miu website encrusted with little pearls in the petals , only £560. , ! Couldn't decide which colour to get so I got one of each !!!

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:53:09

Lay out what you'd like to take...... you won't be taking it all !!
Then pick through it, think 2 shorts, 2 swimsuits and one wrap or swimsuit cover for any modesty required (pool to bar etc), 2 linen trousers or similar, 6 cool tops. One nightie if required, it can be rinsed out during the day if it gets sweaty. One dress. A pashmina is case of a cool breeze at night. One pair of comfy walking sandals and one pair of 'nice' flat-ish comfy footwear. Maybe flipflops for around the pool.
Minimal jewellery and nothing of value, two pairs earrings are enough. A few cheapy bangles.

Put together colours making outfits. I do navy, white and taupe/beige. Everything goes with everything else, I could get dressed blindfolded.
A pair of cotton footie socks in case feet get a bit tender. Doesn't matter what they might look like in the fashion stakes, if feet get tender, you won'd care.

I decant lots of toiletries and 'stuff'... Little plastic tubs and bottles found cheap in Superdrug/Pound shops etc. Use them for .... enough hair gel for 10 days etc. things that you can't get a travel size of.
To be honest I've often found that travel size isn't big enough and prefer to decant as much as is possible.
Roller type deodorant as it's smaller than a can. Travel size hair spray.

I found that travel sized straighteners are worth their weight in gold. A travel hairdryer was a waste of time, not enough power, so take my trusty one with me.

Above all, comfort comfort comfort.

Oh.... sun hat with big brim that can roll up, sun glasses and sun protection.

Be ruthless, honestly, less is more.
Get it sorted in advance and it's a weight off your shoulders.
It is qute liberating to have fewer items with you but knowing that they will all work. Absolutely no 'just maybes' !!!

Coolgran65 Wed 18-Jul-18 19:56:39

Oh yes, sun hat might be a good idea if you do some swimming..... really pretty, like the old fashioned type that gave you a head full of flowers. Like this.
www.ebay.co.uk/i/192037521767?chn=ps&var=491766636485
Its much prettier that this black one at £££££s

www.mytheresa.com/en-gb/000271-floral-embellished-hat-780754.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvqzqwqmp3AIV4bDtCh1WjgI5EAQYAiABEgJNMfD_BwE&ef_id=WiahywAAAMNJozWw:20180718185528:s

glammanana Wed 18-Jul-18 20:23:13

lilypops I'm getting my stuff together for our 10days in Majorca also and every time we go away I always take too much,this time I am really cutting down and taling .
2 x shorts/2sets tankinis/4 x strappy tops/2 x maxi dresses/1 x pashmina/ small bag of blingy jewellery/2 x crop trousers & thats all I am taking towels will be bought at resort for 3 euro's each and left there and 2 x shoes one for day time one for evening and a cheap pair of flip flops.
All can be mixed and matched and washed through and dried quickly if need be.

Lilypops Wed 18-Jul-18 20:40:09

Cool gran , that is such good advice, I have a lot of floral tops that will go with my white trousers, so I don't really do three colours like you, but I am going to try, I have put aside one pair of tan sandals very comfy, beach flip flops , and a pair of sparkly sandals so it's a start, Thankyou,
Glammanana , Two pairs of shorts you are brave , I got Four and lots of strappy tops , I don't think I could manage with so few, but I envy you if you can , with my ample frontage I tend to spill stuff down my tops so I always have spares, What part of Majorca are you going to , I love the Island , Thankyou for your input , I hope you have a great holiday

mumofmadboys Wed 18-Jul-18 20:52:49

I wash clothes out if I need to on holiday in diluted shampoo.! Seems to work fine.

glammanana Wed 18-Jul-18 20:53:35

We go to Palma Nova right on the beach front easy to get bus transport into Palma where I love to go to the Cathedral and the surrounding tapa's bars and craft stalls in the market set up beside the Cathedral I like the walk near the moorings for the large cruise liners & wander up to the horse & buggy ride around the town,we go sometimes 3 times a year.I love the place.Enjoy your time away.xx

annodomini Wed 18-Jul-18 22:42:06

If you are walking through crowded city streets you might feel more secure with a product I've been using for years - an anti-theft cross-body bag. It is reinforced and slash-proof and available from a well-known on-line retailer. A body belt is also available if not quite glamorous!
Anyway, don't do as I once did and turn up with 11 tops for 7 days! As I look frightening in shorts, I like lightweight cheap and cheerful cotton crops - mine came from Bon Marché.

DanniRae Thu 19-Jul-18 08:02:50

I am preparing for 10 days in Ibiza and having the usual packing problems. I was going to list here what I am planning to take but the list went on and on..........!
I'll just say that I don't do shorts anymore and daytime either wear a cover up (to breakfast or walking out) and a sarong over costume round pool. I don't think anyone has mentioned sarongs - I think they are amazing as I don't walk around in just my bikini (got to think of the other guests!!). This year I have bought a tankini as well.
I wish everyone going off on their holidays a very happy time smile

Lilypops Thu 19-Jul-18 08:05:17

Anno , 11tops for 7 days , I have been known to have done the same, all. Just in case ! That's why I hate packing for hols ,,what to take, what to leave behind , Yes I do take across body bag , it leaves my hands free to go shopping ,

Lilypops Thu 19-Jul-18 08:11:11

Hi Danni, You mention sarongs, one year I was packing to go to Majorca, my lovely daughters came upstairs where my case was on the bed, they pulled out of my case. 6 sarongs,,"Mum why do you need so many, " I took only one and managed quite well, I think it's so we have a choice on the day what to wear, but really, 6 ! We did laugh about it , now every year we go away my daughters ring up and say how many are you taking Mum ,,

seacliff Thu 19-Jul-18 08:17:03

I agree with working out colour schemes, what goes with what, so you get lots of outfits, instead of just chucking it all in like I have in the past. It's a bit more time consuming now, but worth it. Very envious, enjoy.

sodapop Thu 19-Jul-18 08:18:01

My husband takes far more than I do, my friend's husband does the same.

downtoearth Thu 19-Jul-18 08:51:00

Have booked our first holiday together,we have been together 15 years,we go next year for 3 weeks...all or nothing for us grin...am dreading the packing already,get stressed enough with an overnight stay anywhere,I remember packing for holidays in a previous life, I was just as bad then.

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Jul-18 09:16:24

As far as clothes go, I just take a roll of cotton/linen dresses. Unroll, hang straight up. No faffing with what goes with what and they can be dressed up or down. A couple of cossies, sarong, cardie, pashmina, hat, three pairs of sandals, plenty of undies and sun cream, bag o’ bling, sunglasses, cross body bag and the usual toiletries. Books, phone, documents and I’m good to go.

DanniRae Thu 19-Jul-18 09:40:03

Hi Lilypops grin
My daughters are just the same!

JenniferEccles Thu 19-Jul-18 11:46:19

Well you will be in the Med so I wouldn't bother with trousers at all. I would take pretty floaty dresses with summer skirts and blouses, plus shorts and tee shirts, and of course several cossies.

You have already had good advice about small containers of toiletries, suncream etc.

I guess with our wonderful weather here, packing is the same for holidays in this country!

NonnaW Thu 19-Jul-18 12:00:38

We went to Majorca recently with just hand luggage (small wheelie case each). We were in a hotel (not posh) and I took 2 prs shorts, about 7 t-shirts, 2 bikinis, 3 lightweight dresses, 1pr sandals, 2prs flip flops and enough undies for the week. I rolled everything and managed just fine. Glad I took some travel wash though as I spilt sangria on my cream shorts! Had to persuade DH that he would not need a jumper, or a jacket, though we both took lightweight waterproof jackets, which needless to say were not needed. We bought beach towels there, also shower gel, sun cream etc. We will definitely do it again now we have proved to ourselves it is possible.

Blondiescot Thu 19-Jul-18 12:04:32

We only travel with hand luggage these days - even for a fortnight abroad - and it makes life sooooo much easier. The less you take, the less hassle...

Maggiemaybe Thu 19-Jul-18 12:36:57

For 10 days in Europe, we’d only take hand luggage too. Anything over 14 days, or where the weather’s more changeable, we’d take a bigger case.

M0nica Fri 20-Jul-18 09:34:01

What a fuss a lot of people make over packing. Nobody on holiday will know you or care what you are wearing. Just throw some clothes into a suitcase the day before you go and stop worrying.

DanniRae Fri 20-Jul-18 13:46:09

I don't take care over all the clothes I take on holiday to impress the other guests - I do it because I love clothes and love wearing nice things.

M0nica Fri 20-Jul-18 15:29:12

If you are always impeccably dressed there should be no problem just packing a suitcase on the day and going, because you will automatically know what is in your wardrobe and what you will want on holiday without giving it more than a few extra thoughts and should be able to assemble and pack it without any fuss.

Daddima Fri 20-Jul-18 16:46:03

We’ve just done two weeks in Greece with hand luggage only. We took things which could be ‘sappled through’ ( washed by hand for non Scots speakers!), and didn’t mind wearing the same things a few times.
I really like not having to check in cases, or having to wait at the baggage reclaim.