Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m 55. feel too young for gransnet but too old for mumsnet.

(135 Posts)
bee63 Sat 18-Aug-18 11:46:03

Anyone else feel the same?
I do have dc and have recently become a grandmother.

Mamissimo Sat 18-Aug-18 11:53:11

Most of us feel that!

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-18 11:53:42

I don't get that. We don't just have discussions about perms, knitting and rocking chairs here you know.

Nanawind Sat 18-Aug-18 11:59:14

I'm 58 and use both, different user name.

WishIWasSaintly Sat 18-Aug-18 12:21:33

I'm the same age! I sometimes lurk on Mumsnet to get ideas and insights. Things have changed in some ways in the last 25 years since I had my last child.

Whilst I love being a gran & take the job seriously, one of the difficulties for me is the transition and how other people view us once we are grandparents. I've had definite prejudice as though somehow I instantly ceased to be competent, creative, sexy and all the other things I am the very minute that first grandchild popped out of the womb!

MissAdventure Sat 18-Aug-18 12:33:06

I'm quite lucky, I wasn't any of those things before my first grandchild. grin

goldengirl Sat 18-Aug-18 12:34:55

That's a bit cheeky bee63 grin. Age is just a number - at least I tell myself it is. I don't feel too old for mumsnet or too young for gransnet. We can all learn a lot from both and there are some very young at heart grans on here who provide some interesting input

ninathenana Sat 18-Aug-18 12:37:34

Agreed kitty
It would be difficult to say with a lot of threads here what the age range is.
We can all be silly at times (in a humorous way) definitly not the "blue rinse brigade"

bee63 Sat 18-Aug-18 12:44:03

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound cheeky grin maybe I’m just in the ‘transition’ phase. Active convos on mumsnet are all about MIL’s & young dc’s - on here it’s retirement & the Archers.
It’s me I know - in my head I’m still 30.

HildaW Sat 18-Aug-18 12:47:58

Oy! bee63....steady on we get up to all sorts in here. If in doubt start a thread on something that interests you....see what happens. We might not be into night time feeds and cracked nipples anymore but we do LIVE life to the full as much as possible.

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-18 12:49:32

We all are still 30 in our heads.

And, I don't think you are looking at the right threads if you think it's all retirement and the archers. There are countless brexit threads for a start. grin

I think you are being guilty of ageism. I'm almost 70 and the only time I have felt as though someone was treating me as though I am a different species recently was in Clarke Shoes shop. He called my 'my dear'! shock And on this thread!

MissAdventure Sat 18-Aug-18 12:52:03

Now now, kitty!
We mustnt upset ourselves, dear..
Lets go and have a nice cup of tea. grin

DanniRae Sat 18-Aug-18 13:01:53

The Archers? Retirement? I have never posted on either! Come on bee63 if you want more suitable subjects to discuss do the obvious thing and start some (instead of making yourself very unpopular).
Oh, it might be a good idea to get yourself a NEW USER NAME so you can start afresh!!

Bathsheba Sat 18-Aug-18 13:05:57

And what makes you think it's just you that's '30 in your head'? As kitty says, we all are. Or do you imagine that we all stepped across a line at some point - maybe at 60, or 65 - and were immediately transformed into silver-haired old dears in rocking chairs with cats on our laps? hmm

I really think you need to try a teeny bit harder if you want to fit in here and be accepted! DanniRae's idea of a new username and start again is a very good suggestion.

kittylester Sat 18-Aug-18 13:13:39

MissA, grin

paddyann Sat 18-Aug-18 13:25:29

bee63 I'm 64 and on both MN and GN ,I've never in my life listened to the archers or even thought about listening to it.I wear fashionable clothes dye my hair blonde (for now) and can be found singing and dancing my way round the housework . I have 4 GC from almost 16 down to 7 . My GC call me Daft Granny ...well it fits .Dont label anyone on here we are all different and thats why it works.I f you dont see anything that interests you then post something and you will without doubt get replies .Welcome

dogsmother Sat 18-Aug-18 13:34:20

This thread and posts on it are making me giggle.
As I read about Sarah Ferguson wearing flat shoes ....then thought about how much I was loving wearing wedges and I’m proudly older than she is.
I daringly go from purple to blue streaks of colour in my hair mainly my fringe and other white bits.......age is all about numbers and your state of mind.
I’ve met people in their forties who ancient and people in their eighties who’s company I certainly crave!

TerriBull Sat 18-Aug-18 13:49:18

I go on both, I don't see why you should pigeon hole yourself, there is much more to both sites than what their respective names suggest, "being a mother or a grandparent". The appeal of MN for me was initially the many book threads and reviews, more varied than GN. I think they both have a large spectrum of topics that are not always age relevant.

TerriBull Sat 18-Aug-18 14:14:37

Reading one of your posts bee63, I really can't agree that MN is all about MIL and children, it's got a massive amount of subscribers and at any one time there will be umpteen threads on just about everything, the word "mum" in the title is in some ways is a misnomer. I have certainly been enlightened over there on the controversy surrounding trans gender issues. MN gave birth to GN, not literally, but GN in many ways is a microcosm of MN, but nevertheless umpteen subjects are up for discussion. Not everyone wants to discuss the ins and outs of parenting and grandparenting and the inevitable "in law" dynamics to the exclusion of everything else, but of course they are bound to come up. Sometimes a problem shared can be a good thing.

Jalima1108 Sat 18-Aug-18 14:21:35

on here it’s retirement & the Archers.
Hey up bee63 - have you arrived with a wooden spoon in your mitt?

And doesn't Mumsnet have an Archers thread?

I expect Mumsnet are interested in retirement too, as they will want to make sure that their doddery old DP will be available to take over the childcare for them when they go back to work.

Jalima1108 Sat 18-Aug-18 14:22:34

ps as well as being a grandmother I am a mother - fancy that!! Incredible.

merlotgran Sat 18-Aug-18 14:26:00

bee63 I take it you haven't read the Mumsnet Archers thread. Most of them are addicts so what does that say about their age group?

It's also witty, funny and welcoming to all.

Jalima1108 Sat 18-Aug-18 14:32:00

And what makes you think it's just you that's '30 in your head'? As kitty says, we all are. I'm not!
I'm only 11 when I wake up in the mornings - no aches, pains, cares or worries!

Jalima1108 Sat 18-Aug-18 14:33:46

Lets go and have a nice cup of tea.
Tea? Isn't it time for a nice sweet sherry in one of those little sherry glasses?

annodomini Sat 18-Aug-18 14:37:32

I beg your pardon, I'm not 30 in my head. I am, and will remain, 27, for reasons which I'm not prepared to divulge.wink