Gransnet forums

Chat

I have just been well and truly told off!

(85 Posts)
Nannyme Wed 26-Sep-18 12:38:23

This morning I managed to get my shopping done quite quickly and had an hour left on my parking ticket so I offered to an elderly gentleman, actually I don’t think he was much older than me. He promptly told me in no uncertain terms that he didn’t do that sort of thing and I soukdn’t either and he would pay for his own ticket!, I have come home with my tail between my legs, but I stopped off to buy a nice cream cake to help me get over it!!

MawBroon Wed 26-Sep-18 12:39:26

It is illegal you know.
Tickets are not transferable.

aggie Wed 26-Sep-18 12:40:27

He was a bit of a know all and holier than thou !! Hope the cream bun helps xxx

Teetime Wed 26-Sep-18 12:47:15

Unchivalrous - he couldn't have told you politely and thanked you anyway- have some flowers flowers

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Sep-18 12:49:31

Oh dear, Nannyme. What bad luck to get some holier than thou individual, instead of someone who would have been pleased and thanked you.

People have always been grateful when I have done what you did, and I am equally pleased when a ticket is offered to me.

Don't let that miserable man put you off doing it again.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 26-Sep-18 13:07:11

Nannyme ☕️?

We have a council carpark behind our local shops, used to be free. It now charges, it is common practice that we pass on our tickets, although we all know that the tickets are non transferable. Perhaps he was having a bad day.

gillybob Wed 26-Sep-18 13:08:11

Pompous old git !

This used to happen a lot in our town centre and local hospital until they installed those vile number plate recognition camera systems (Parking Eye, the biggest con merchants in the history of forever) so we are now unable to gift unused and paid for parking time to another motorist. In fact woe betide if you enter the car park and can't find a space which often happens as Parking Eye will have you on camera and a fine will follow.

M0nica Wed 26-Sep-18 13:14:20

In our case we have to type our car registration number into the machine before we get a ticket.

JenniferEccles Wed 26-Sep-18 13:16:32

Oh yes those awful number plate recognition set ups. Dreadful things.

And they wonder why people are deserting town centres.

gillybob Wed 26-Sep-18 13:42:37

Exactly JenniferEccles . Our local hospital uses them too, crikey knows how much they must make in over payments and fines.

HildaW Wed 26-Sep-18 13:54:01

We have a huge all day car park locally that only allows an all day ticket.....daft really am sure it would be used more if it split the prices into smaller chunks, but that's another matter. I have been offered the remains of people tickets before and have accepted gracefully.
That being said this know-all need not have been so rude, one can decline something with better manners.

Tony2018 Wed 26-Sep-18 14:35:49

Maybe he was suspicious that you were a council / private contractor spy out to entrap him.

Bathsheba Wed 26-Sep-18 14:47:44

It really annoys me that it's illegal to pass on tickets. If I've paid £4.80 for 4 hours' parking and only use 2 hours, why should the car park owner get another payment for my remaining 2 hours, giving them £7.20 for the £4.80 time period? Surely that is wrong? It's this that makes me, as much as possible, only use pay on exit car parks - a far fairer system.

ninathenana Wed 26-Sep-18 14:48:57

I used to do this but it can't be done in my area anymore. You have to enter your Reg No. into the payment machine.

humptydumpty Wed 26-Sep-18 15:25:38

Me too nina. I agree Bathsheba why should 'they' get double or more payments per parking space because of this kind of overlap?

tinaf1 Wed 26-Sep-18 15:28:10

He didn't have to be such a miserable ungrateful old sod about though

DanniRae Wed 26-Sep-18 15:32:53

What tina said!

Nannyme Wed 26-Sep-18 15:45:31

The cake helped, feeling better now I’ve read your comments and yes I know I shouldn’t but as you say most people are grateful. He was probably an ex councillor, but I like the idea of me being a secret agent sent to catch him out, unfortunately he didn’t look scared of me.

Lynne59 Wed 26-Sep-18 17:40:56

The ungrateful and miserable old geezer. Hope you enjoyed your cake

MissAdventure Wed 26-Sep-18 17:55:38

They end up getting paid twice if you've paid for hours that someone else then has to pay for.
I feel you've booked that space for a number of hours, so you should be free to pass on unused hours.
It really makes me cross!

MissAdventure Wed 26-Sep-18 17:56:20

Oh, I did I mention the word 'hours'? blush

Day6 Wed 26-Sep-18 18:08:31

There should be more noise made about the unfairness of car parking policy and prices.

I was issued a ticket recently because I'd parked slightly over the bay lines in an almost empty car park. The car next to me had parked at a slightly wonky angle so my parking parallel to it caused my tyres to go into the next bay, slightly. I used the shops, and was out within 35 minutes but by then I'd got a ticket on my car and an £80 fine. angry

Martin Lewis' site gives reasons why these fines are usually unfair so I wrote to the parking firm that night and haven't heard anything back.

Remember Nannyme, yours was a kind and thoughtful gesture. The grump who refused was a miserable and ungrateful individual.

gillybob Wed 26-Sep-18 18:11:52

Good luck Day6 I have successfully appealed 3 Parking Eye fines, 1 for myself and 2 for family members . It can be done. Their often very threatening letters scare people into just paying up .

Nanabilly Wed 26-Sep-18 18:44:46

Victor Meldrew !
When we were in the lake district in August we parked in a town centre car Park that had machines where you had to enter car reg details and cost £3.50 . I only went and put wrong reg in so had to pay again as it had been in the press only the week before someone got fined £100 or more for doing just that .
Fuming I was !!

Bellanonna Wed 26-Sep-18 18:53:37

Nannyme I often do what you did and nobody has ever refused my offer. Equally I have benefited from other proples’ offers. If he had strong scruples then he could have just been polite about it. You paid the full whack for a certain time. You just chose to share it with someone else, that’s all.