Gransnet forums

Chat

How was it for you?

(26 Posts)
NfkDumpling Tue 23-Oct-18 18:20:17

I went to the doctors for an appointment this morning. Ten minutes after my return I had a text. “How was it for you? Rate your visit.”

Last weekend we went for a meal. “How was it for you? Rate your visit.”

I bought a bag at a shop in town. “How was it for you? Rate your visit.”

How do they know? I thought it was when I paid by credit card but just lately I’ve only had to walk through a store to get one of these infuriating texts. Is it my phone giving out signals? Have I been implanted with a homing device in my sleep? How do they know?

annsixty Tue 23-Oct-18 18:31:59

Be afraid, be very afraid ?

Scribbles Tue 23-Oct-18 18:33:40

Turn off the Location function on your phone. It wouldn't necessarily stop the messages from the surgery because they probably have their system primed to send these texts to anyone with an appointment whose phone number they have.

However, it should stop those annoying ones received when you simply walk through/past somewhere. (I paused to blow my nose outside M&S last week and got a 'how was it for you?' five minutes later angry)

watermeadow Tue 23-Oct-18 19:39:25

I don’t get these, nor cold callers. Perhaps because I never give anyone my phone number and don’t have a smart phone.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 20:38:58

I thought that phrase was only asked about sex.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 20:40:59

Mind you, if we started ‘rating’ our DH’s they wouldn’t all get a five star would they?grin

Baggs Tue 23-Oct-18 20:44:04

Does switching off various notifications on one's phone prevent this kind of text?

Melanieeastanglia Tue 23-Oct-18 20:44:54

I suspect Scribbles is correct in saying it is the location function on your phone. However, if you turn it off, I believe it is not so easy to find your phone.

If I am wrong in saying this, I am happy to be corrected but I have been told this.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 20:46:21

If retailers have your email they will know when you buy something, just as the clinic knows you had an appointment.

Grannyknot Tue 23-Oct-18 20:53:23

I have this all the time now too, I met a friend outside Debenhams and got a "How was Debenhams?"

Another annoying thing that has started happening, is when you post a review on Google, e.g. for a local beauty salon, as I did, at their request - and the next thing I got a message to say "Someone has asked Jackie's Beauty Salon a question - can you answer it?" "No, you daft thing how could I answer a question about someone else's business!"

It really is bonkers.

Anyway I'm gonna turn off location on my phone, and stop reviewing businesses no matter how nicely they ask me.

NfkDumpling Tue 23-Oct-18 23:32:46

I’d like to turn off my location if the Sat Nav in the car worked and I wasn’t using the phone to count my steps and my route march - and if I can find out how! I’ll have to find up the instructions. Hopefully it’ll be easy to turn it off and on when needed. Thanks Scribbles.

Grandma2213 Wed 24-Oct-18 01:05:00

I refuse to have a smart phone, talking box (Alexa?), Sat Nav etc. I rest my case. I seem to be able to control my laptop much more!

KatyK Wed 24-Oct-18 10:15:33

It's all getting a bit odd. If we stay in a hotel, I always give a review on Tripadvisor. It helps me to read reviews, so I do the same. We recently stayed in one in the UK and as usual I gave a review. I answered all the usual questions - how did you sleep, how was the service/staff, breakfast etc. One of the questions was 'Did any of the staff speak Romanian?' Eh? First of all, how would I know, and why Romanian?

mabon1 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:35:23

Get rid of the GPS

GabriellaG Wed 24-Oct-18 12:18:27

Your mobile must have location finder activated. Look in your settings.

Tamayra Wed 24-Oct-18 12:29:04

You can turn off location finder & still use your GPS
Go ask them how to do it in the mobile phone shop
Or ask your Grandkids over 10 yrs they were born knowing these IT thingies smile

valeriej43 Wed 24-Oct-18 13:12:47

I get these especially from the Drs ,but i often get them as reminders for Appointments which i am glad off
Recently though my phone keeps ringing people,i think they have rung me, but they say oh no you rang me, i did not
Not sure how to solve this, but also get notifications telling me i have missed a call, when i am sat by the phone and it didnt ring so annoying

Sheilasue Wed 24-Oct-18 13:13:38

Just delete I do, can’t be doing with all that.

Fennel Wed 24-Oct-18 15:48:25

That's another thing that puts me off having a phone.
The same thing happens in other places too. I joined the local library and a woman said could she ask me some questions. I stupidly said yes. She was doing an evaluation survey on local medical practices - took ages.
In the end I told her that I don't like this evaluation ethos. Not her fault. It was one of the reasons I was glad to take early retirement - we had started to be asked to fill in time sheets, accounting for every minute of the working day.
Too much like Big Brother is watching you.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 24-Oct-18 16:45:03

Don't you just want to say 'What's it worth'

Saggi Wed 24-Oct-18 18:24:14

Yep...turn of location services...turn back on only when it’s needed.

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Oct-18 18:49:28

I will see if my phone will turn off the location finder and not the GPS Tamayra. At the moment I can’t even find how to turn any of it off, let alone on again. Will ask a grandchild next time I see one!

KatyK, I did a Trip Advisor review for a rather excellent little hotel we stayed in in Warwick a couple of weeks ago and was also mystified to be asked if any of the staff spoke Romanian. Why Romanian? And not were they Romanian, but did they speak it. I don’t know, I didn’t ask any of them.

JoJo58 Wed 24-Oct-18 19:17:33

Nfk dumpling, swipe from the top of the phone and there will be a quick access with location just touch it it will turn off, GPS will work without it but will tell you if it needs to be enabled, or go to settings, just leave location off, nobody that you don't want to will bother you then.

NfkDumpling Wed 24-Oct-18 19:50:37

Ooooo! Thanks JoJo! I didn’t know about that. Now, can I ask you, one of the quick choices is Mobile Data. What happens if I switch that off and why would I want to?

Edithb Wed 24-Oct-18 20:41:15

I do know that if I go to a large local shopping outlet they track me using my phone. The other strange thing is when Facebook suggests possible friends who have been in a meeting with me, but none of us have been on the site at the time.