Gransnet forums

Chat

A nice thread

(68 Posts)
Jane10 Wed 14-Nov-18 09:55:06

Last night I was doing one of my talks to a WI group. There were a lot of ladies there. When I arrived the secretary was going over the ongoing business. It was just lovely to hear of people quietly making teddies for the police to give to traumatised children, knitting of cot blankets for new babies in hospital and a whole host of kind activities. All unsung. Each one bound to be appreciated by individuals on the receiving end. Yet the news is full of doom and gloom. These ladies are a quietly shining light in a myriad of small ways and making life just a little better for those in need.

Squiffy Wed 14-Nov-18 10:18:59

You're so right Jane10. It's the warm glow from all the quiet lights that make the world a better place and restore your faith in human nature smile

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Nov-18 10:21:03

Totally agree Jane10, there are so many people of all ages doing good works, that we never hear about.

It is the small things in life which make people smile and feel that someone is thinking of them.

Only bad things and "celebrity nonsense" are deemed newsworthy nowadays.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 11:56:15

Well it’s the stupid and the cruel that sing loudest unfortunately.

Totally agree op. There are good kind solid people everywhere but they tend not to be as strident as the vile and wicked

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 12:06:54

I wish there weren't any homeless teens sleeping rough. I watched a programme late last night and could have cried. It's not for us to judge how they ended up in this predicament but there should be more places of safety for them to stay for as long as is necessary. Hostels are on a first come first served basis only housing so many at a time. One young man was determined to make good his life and was already working but with circumstances at home he couldn't carry on there and he was sleeping on the streets and then working next day so in the end he was provided with a flat and was thoroughly delighted.
The end to his plight was heartwarming but there are many others whose Christmas's are going to be grim.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 12:10:12

A lot of these poor teens are from the ridiculously named ‘looked after children’

Turned out of so called care and abandoned. Bloody disgraceful

sodapop Wed 14-Nov-18 12:14:43

I agree with Jane10 & Grannygravy there are many people helping others in a myriad of ways but those people are not recognised.
Celebs etc self serving in the main.

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 12:38:41

These " celebs " should put their hands in their pockets and help the less well off. There are only a handful of these odious people who actually do. They're a disgrace.

Mycatisahacker Wed 14-Nov-18 12:47:58

I do think there could be a new charity started to specificslly help looked after kids beyond care.

I wish a celeb could start one. Or the premier league??

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:36:17

Jane10, yes indeed and the TWG does the same as well, as do other groups.

Unsung but feeling pleased to be able to help others.

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:37:50

‘looked after children’
Mciah yes, who thought up such a ridiculous and cumbersome name?

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:41:07

sorry Jane10, I didn't mean to spoil your nice thread

blush

lemongrove Wed 14-Nov-18 13:43:43

Yes Jane my WI ( amongst others) does this kind of thing all the time, some lovely things are made.smile

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:45:13

The U3A craft group I go to does this too.

Day6 Wed 14-Nov-18 13:51:12

I have two friends I nickname 'pillars of the community'. They have radar which seems to pick up any one in need or going through a difficult time.

Years ago I experienced their love. Notes through the door to encourage me, and often little boxes of foods left in the porch when I was going through illness and personal difficulties.

No recognition or thanks was needed. Two decades later they and others in their church community still do little anonymous acts of kindness and organise all sorts of fund raising and making for those in need. One of my neighbours, in her 70s, goes out with a group at night giving out socks and gloves to rough sleepers. They all carry flasks of hot soup as well for those who need food.

They want no recognition. Yes, there is so much good in the world. Most people are kind. The news is full of nasty stuff (and yes, pointless celebs) that we must remember those 'newsworthy'people and events are the exception, not the norm.

Buffybee Wed 14-Nov-18 14:16:20

Mycat there is a charity to look after any homeless kids.
It's called Depaul Charity Uk, there is one in every large city and town.
It works in tandem with Supported Lodgings, which I have been doing for 18 years.
I look after young vulnerable people in my own home, I have two girls here right now and have never been without one of two kids in all that time.
Anyone can do it, I started when I was still working, you just have to have a spare room.
I have had kids from 16 and still at school, some of what they confide in me about their "home" lives are beyond belief.
We get them in either education or a job and after some time, they are housed in local authority flats with continuing support if they need it.
They go on to make good lives for themselves, the sixteen year old is now a Mum of two, works in A &e, has a immaculate house and drives a brand new car.
A good percent after having no hope, go on to University.
If any of you think you might be interested in doing this PM
me.
There's also a scheme called Nightstop, where you have a room and can be contacted any day to see if it's convenient to take a young person off the street for a night, until they can put things in place, if you're busy you can just say no, of course. I also do this when I have the room but I'm usually full.

aggie Wed 14-Nov-18 14:46:41

My Granddaughters and friends did a "Sleep out " for DePaul charity last week and expected to raise £100 , they raised it four times over , they are only 9s and 10s . I was a bit nervous for them but all was well

Buffybee Wed 14-Nov-18 14:55:29

Bless them aggie!
Tell them very well done from me. ?

EllanVannin Wed 14-Nov-18 16:19:29

Sadly it's the" nasty stuff "that sells newspapers.Acts of kindness hardly get a mention.

Jane10 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:23:38

Lots of shining examples mentioned on this thread!

Jalima1108 Wed 14-Nov-18 16:39:23

The lady who was sitting next to me at U3A is 89 and was busily knitting hats for premature babies and Syrian refugees.
I hope I will be as sprightly as her, if I ever reach 89.

Jane10 Wed 14-Nov-18 20:35:06

grinflowerscupcakebrewwine for all these kind ladies sunshine

4allweknow Thu 15-Nov-18 09:59:02

Looked after children are suppised to receive support until aged 21 with a view to increasing to 25 years. A lit of those in the media choose to live rough but a lot land up doing so due to circumstances. Yes, there is still a lot of good in folk.

PECS Thu 15-Nov-18 10:02:49

It was national kindness day this week apparently and a person I know met me as I was picking DGS up at school and gave me a packet of muffins for my DGC! She had a box of chocs too that she handed round to the parents/carers waiting to go into the playground. Spread a little sunshine as you go!

Oldwoman70 Thu 15-Nov-18 10:18:35

It is true that the kindest people go about helping people without any need or wish for recognition.

A local facility helping recovering addicts recently closed down, two very famous and wealthy "comedians" made appeals for people to donate money in order for it to remain open, unfortunately not enough was raised. The amount needed was just £200,000, pocket change to those two celebs but it seems their support was limited to photo opportunities and sound bites.