Gransnet forums

Chat

Drinking alone ...

(120 Posts)
Carolina55 Fri 22-Mar-19 21:51:29

Never done it..... started with friends in the pub/party, wherever, and it’s always been a social thing for me, something I’ve only done in company. Simply doesn’t occur to me to open a bottle unless there’s some one to share it.

But tonight we’ve come back from the quiz and I was driving so not drinking (another rule) and the football is on and I’ve poured a vodka tonic and England are winning and he’s decided they’re fine and buggered off to bed! So ..... am I drinking alone......? Feels strange!

grumppa Fri 22-Mar-19 22:09:22

Technically, you're finishing a drink after your drinking companion has deserted you, having been abstemious all evening. One vodka tonic hardly constitutes opening a bottle, unless of course you plan to finish it tonight.

I raise my beer tankard in your honour - you're never alone on Gransnet.

boheminan Fri 22-Mar-19 22:18:14

'Cheers' grumppa and Carolina55 wine. It's been a long day....

Carolina55 Fri 22-Mar-19 22:23:58

Thank you grumppa..... and I’m watching the news while I finish the drink and of course I’m drinking with all the grans still up!

My daughter once Skyped me and instructed me to open a bottle of wine so that we could have a drink together.... I called a neighbour to help me finish the bottle!

BradfordLass72 Sat 23-Mar-19 06:49:18

I don't have much choice smile

I live alone and if I want a beer on hot day; and we've had 3 months of temperatures which would suit a Bedouin; then I'm the solitary drinker your mothers warned you not to become.

Suits me just fine. Cheers ! wine

RosieLeah Sat 23-Mar-19 06:58:54

I've never regarded drinking a glass of wine as something which must only be done in the company of others.

sunseeker Sat 23-Mar-19 08:13:03

I live alone and enjoy a glass of wine in the evening now and again. I think many people drink alone without it being a problem (in my case a bottle of wine will last me a week). Don't feel guilty, relax and enjoy

DanniRae Sat 23-Mar-19 08:23:57

Hi, I don't drink much usually but last night I was on my own and had 2 glasses of sherry.......living life on the edge, eh? To add to my bad girl image I also had 2 (yes 2) bags of crisps........ winewinewink

kittylester Sat 23-Mar-19 08:31:44

Theres no hope danni, it's the slippery slope for you.

You are definitely not alone if you are on gn, Carolina, though I hope you are not still drinking!

Teetime Sat 23-Mar-19 08:41:40

I am always with you!

Carolina55 Sat 23-Mar-19 08:57:05

Ha ha kittylester - enjoy a nightcap if we’ve been out and I usually drive home as my DH won’t go to a bar and have a soft drink. He once stated that it would be like visiting a house of ill repute and not availing himself of the contents!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:10:15

My dad used to say that drinking alone was akin to being on the slippery slope to alcoholism - so he'd go down the pub to drink, argue and annoy people.
I sometimes open a beer, put lots down for the slugs to drown in and I drink what's left in the bottle (not from the bottle) which is very little. Has it turned me into a raging alcoholic? No. Cheers!

DanniRae Sat 23-Mar-19 09:10:27

Oh kitty don't say that............I bet I'll be getting a tattoo next and having facial piercings (or worse)!! Is there no hope for me???????? shock

BlueSapphire Sat 23-Mar-19 09:11:57

I still keep to the routine DH and I had when he was still here.
A glass of sherry to watch Eggheads and a glass of wine with dinner. I still raise my glass to him every evening! And at the weekends I might have a liqueur as a nightcap. I certainly had one last night as my rugby team had a fantastic win!winewinesmile

KatyK Sat 23-Mar-19 09:37:20

I know a few people who live alone and enjoy the odd tipple.

NotSpaghetti Sat 23-Mar-19 09:53:11

Teetime grin

Bennan Sat 23-Mar-19 09:56:10

Was it Saints?

Miep1 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:56:18

I've lived alone for large periods of my life and am not averse to opening a bottle of wine - say at 2pm on a hot day in the garden - and might even finish it off by 10pm. I do not consider myself to have an unhealthy relationship with booze!

ToadsMum Sat 23-Mar-19 09:58:29

Cardiff blues ?

Colverson Sat 23-Mar-19 09:59:57

Listen I live on my own and have a small glass of wine acouple of times aweek at home while watching a saved prog on TV and I enjoy it.I do not drink when I go out as I drive and just having a drink at home is no problem unless its when you are feeling low and have more than one.Have a drink if its to relax and enjoy it when you feel good BUT I would advice you not to drink when feeling low or have more than one as things can get over the top and the one small glass becomes a large one and more than one

palliser65 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:00:15

Chin-chin enjoy. I have alovely glass of white wine every evening whilst reading before i get dinner. Part of life and there to enhance any occasion or to just to support reflection, pleasure and being alive. There are others who will happily spend an evening eating biscuits and chocolate. I prefer a fabulous chilled large glass of white. Enjoy!

Barmeyoldbat Sat 23-Mar-19 10:01:47

Ij sometimes have a martini after I have finished my meal and I am sat relaxing but its not often.

BlueSapphire Sat 23-Mar-19 10:02:39

Northampton Saints! Beat Leicester Tigers away 29-15.grin

GabriellaG54 Sat 23-Mar-19 10:03:04

Neither I nor my OH drink alcohol, not even if pressed to have Champagne or Petrus.
It just doesn't appeal.

blondenana Sat 23-Mar-19 10:06:18

I am not a drinker as such, i dont like wine , might have one to be sociable at a wedding etc, but takes me all day to drink it,i do like Baileys though and sometimes treat myself,or if funds are low get a bottle of Irish meadow, which is more like a weaker,[and cheaper] version, so a glass of that at night before bed now and again