Gransnet forums

Chat

re-cycling my tips for the coming weeks

(9 Posts)
infoman Sun 29-Mar-20 05:12:14

I think we all expect rubbush and recyling collections to suffer disruption in the coming weeks.
My thoughts are, if you are going to the super market.
Take your paper glass plastic and tins with you and put the recycled items in the containers.
Than at least you don't have bring your recycling items back into your home,if the recyclers have a problem with collections.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 29-Mar-20 07:56:52

Our Supermarket bins are overflowing at the best of times, so I think it will just be moving the problem to another site.
At least all of our recycled items are washed , so if I have to store it all at home it shouldn’t attract vermin.
If you don’t have any outside space any disruption of waste collection will have an enormous impact with the better weather on its way ( hopefully), not to mention any industrial waste.

LullyDully Sun 29-Mar-20 08:33:06

Our dustmen are still ok here and come every Friday at 7.00 a.m.

I lost track of the days and suddenly remembered it was Thursday night/ Friday morning when I woke in the night . So I traipsed down in my dressing gown at 5.00 to put the bin out. My neighbour had forgotten too, so put hers out. Just in case they have to reduce visits.

The things we have to do, just in case. Problem was getting back to sleep after my trot down the garden.

Pittcity Sun 29-Mar-20 09:51:51

Ours are only collecting food waste and black bag (non recyclable) waste. I can see that a lot of recycling will be put in black bags.

vampirequeen Sun 29-Mar-20 10:18:41

Our dustmen are working as normal atm. We'll have to see how it goes. If they can't collect I'll have to keep the waste in bags until they start again.

Missfoodlove Sun 29-Mar-20 10:19:05

I don’t understand why the recycling should be affected.

Chewbacca Sun 29-Mar-20 10:25:41

I think it's because the depots, where the recycled stuff is separated out, are included in the non essential sector and in some areas are no longer working Missfoodlove. If there's no one there to sort it and move it on, there's no point in collecting it.

annsixty Sun 29-Mar-20 10:30:41

Our black bin which is non recycled waste is going to be collected every two weeks but from this week we have to put food waste in there as that and garden waste is being suspended.
Paper and cardboard ( blue bin) and cans , bottles and plastic (brown bin) are going to be every four weeks.
We are going to have a lot of black bags when this is over.

threexnanny Sun 29-Mar-20 12:50:22

Fly tipping has already started around here and I think it will get worse.