Gransnet forums

Chat

tumble dryer

(7 Posts)
Milest0ne Sat 30-May-20 11:19:22

When I was last cleaning the fluff from the tumble dryer, I wondered if clothes wear out quicker by being tumble dried .If clothes are hung out to dry there is no fluff .
Just one of life's imponderables hmm

25Avalon Sat 30-May-20 11:20:18

I wondered that too especially with towels.

Pantglas2 Sat 30-May-20 11:23:13

I think they do! I’ve had my tumble dryer for 35 years but rarely use it. I’ve wondered whether there would’ve enough fluff to stuff a small teddy had I bothered to save it all!

yggdrasil Sat 30-May-20 11:33:14

If you hang them out to dry, the fluff blows away

TerriBull Sat 30-May-20 11:49:22

I hardly ever use mine, certainly not for clothes, sheets maybe for a quick turnaround, but we've had such hot weather since the lock everything goes outside.

12Michael Sat 30-May-20 12:08:24

We have 2 in the residential home where I am, both are good quality ,although one has broken down awaiting spares .
I think the cloths shrinking depends on what it is , I think if you hang up the items say on a coat hanger this may help .
The fluff cleaning is great, mind living in a multi user situation does not help.
Mick

Franbern Sat 30-May-20 13:07:29

I have a heat pump tumble dryer, which is brilliant and cheap to run. My washing machine is usually set to a 1600rpm final spin, and I am always totally astonished as to how much water comes out off my washing in the dryer. I always empty that and the fluff after each use.

In my old house, I only used a tumble dryer very occasionally, and in good weather always put washing outside. Must say, the question about the fluff did cross my mind recently - wondering why I never saw this with my whirlygig dried washing.

However, in a flat this dryer really has earned its purchase price.