Gransnet forums

Chat

Warning ! Paypal scam probably.

(12 Posts)
MissTree Sun 02-Aug-20 17:22:40

I just got a message with a link inviting me to agree to new Paypal t&cs . I don’t click on links like this . I always check on the actual site .
I looked up the number 07385 155949 and found it comes from China so I reckon it’s a scam and thought I’d pass this on.

Kate1949 Sun 02-Aug-20 17:25:49

There is something going on with PayPal at the moment. We never click on links to open emails but somehow someone hacked DH's account last week and spent almost £200 of his money.

phoenix Sun 02-Aug-20 17:30:27

Kate1949 that's awful, will be be able to get it back?

Poppyred Sun 02-Aug-20 17:36:07

Me too MissTree -these people make me sick!

merlotgran Sun 02-Aug-20 18:23:09

My PayPal account was hacked into but the bank noticed some unusual activity on my account and contacted me. I thought the text from the bank might be a scam so rang the number on the back of my debit card instead.

Apparently somebody was trying to buy something from a gaming site!

The amount was just under £10 so I probably wouldn't have noticed it going out of my account as I've been using PayPal quite a lot for online purchases during Lockdown.

I was told this is what they do. One or two small amounts that might not be picked up on and then a big one.

The bank stopped my card and I had to change my PayPal password so no harm done thank goodness.

Kate1949 Sun 02-Aug-20 19:12:57

Yes he got it back thanks phoenix. He only noticed when he checked his bank statement online. It was very stressful as you can imagine. PayPal are very hard to contact. He emailed them but got no reply. He phoned and got a recording which ended by saying 'due to Covid' we have no staff to speak to you.
I thought he was going to burst a blood vessel but PayPal sorted it eventually.
This person bought some sort of game in eBay and used DH's account.
We managed to contact the seller. She said 'You should have told me sooner. I've posted it now.' We didn't know!

MissTree Sun 02-Aug-20 19:16:34

Just had a quick check of my Paypal and seems okay so far. Damn clever these hackers ! Going to keep my eye on it.

ladymuck Sun 02-Aug-20 20:24:05

I use Paypal but my account is linked to my device. I presume if someone tries to access my account from a different device, it will be rejected.

Daddima Mon 03-Aug-20 14:24:41

I’ve just got this one.Anyone else?

MissTree Mon 03-Aug-20 14:51:11

No. I haven’t got that one but I would check your account on the web.

Daddima Mon 03-Aug-20 19:22:12

I’ve just checked, and it’s as it should be. I’ll just wait and see if they contact me again.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Aug-20 19:47:57

I've had several PayPal emails about new terms and conditions but didn't notice a link to click or anything to agree to as I've had similar ones from EBay and I just assumed it was some small change which the customer has to be informed about. I deleted them without paying much heed or reading them properly. Looks like I may accidentally have done the right thing!