Gransnet forums

Chat

Winter duvets

(26 Posts)
Teamug Fri 07-Aug-20 08:53:58

I have recently replaced my summer duvet with a very light 4.5 tog ,but looking ahead i also want to replace my winter duvet, we have central heating so i wondered what tog rating would be best, i would welcome amy thoughts.

Calendargirl Fri 07-Aug-20 08:59:46

We bought a winter duvet some time ago, never use it, too hot. Not sure of tog rating as it’s folded away in storage box.

rubysong Fri 07-Aug-20 09:02:23

We have a 4'6" bed and I got a king size 13 tog for winter. That was a mistake as it is far too heavy. I like having plenty of 'overhang' but I shall get a 10.5 king size before this winter.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:06:24

We have king size bed with a 15 tog winter duvet, I’m always cold and like a heavy duvet

BlueSky Fri 07-Aug-20 09:14:01

My DH hyperventilates with anything over 7.5 togs even in the winter! Luckily I'm not a cold person but in his case I tell him if he was a middle aged woman he would need super strength HRT!

HouseMartin Fri 07-Aug-20 09:14:11

We have a 9.5 tog for winter and like you a 4.5 for summer.

sf101 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:15:09

I have a 4.5 tog on most of the year. In the winter I might add a lightweight throw but that usually ends up being chucked off. My heating is off over night and always have a window open. Duvets seem to throw your own heat back at you and some, so higher togs are too hot for me.

Grannynannywanny Fri 07-Aug-20 09:15:50

I find winter duvets way too heavy and uncomfortable. I suppose it depends how cold you’re inclined to feel in general. I find I’m warm enough with a summer 4.5 all year round.

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 09:52:03

We are all different. What suits one person doesn't suit another. I get very cold in bed and have a winter duvet with the highest rating...plus fleece bedding and an electric blanket.

I've only just changed my winter duvet for the summer one, but I'll be keeping a blanket handy in case I get cold during the night.

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 10:26:10

I think ours is a 9.5 tog for winter and 2.5 for summer. They clip together but we've never felt the need to do that even though the heat is very rarely on in the bedroom.

We keep a brushed cotton cellular blanket handy in case it feels extra chilly.

It may be just a short tonight!

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 10:26:43

short ?

Sheet

Westcoaster Fri 07-Aug-20 11:27:35

Because of our differing duvet tog requirements we use 2 single duvets on our king-size bed. I have 4.5 in winter, 2.5 in summer and the husband is 4.5 summer (as long as it's warm) and either 7.5 or 10.5 in winter.
Best decision ever!

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 11:38:44

We have 2 4:5 tog duvets. They clip together for winter.

BlueSky Fri 07-Aug-20 11:47:37

Clever idea Westcoaster! I guess it also stops the pulling of the duvet on either side!

phoenix Fri 07-Aug-20 12:12:46

We have a double bed and a king size duvet (like others have mentioned, plenty of overhang is good!)

Not sure if the tog rating, but our winter duvet is filled with silk mix, lovely and "plump" but beautifully light.

It came from M & S.

SpringyChicken Fri 07-Aug-20 12:15:21

We use 100%down duvets because they are so lightweight. Much lighter than feather and down or down and feather. They last for years. 9 tog for winter.

ExD Fri 07-Aug-20 12:21:54

We have a duvet each.
Some years ago we stayed in a hotel in Germany where they had 2 single duvets on a double bed. I copied this when we came home and its great - DH can his lightweight summer one all year round, and I can have my nice warm one in winter.
We have a kingsized bed so have upgraded to a double duvet each.

sodapop Fri 07-Aug-20 12:28:47

Oh Ladymuck I would be sweltering with all that bedding. On balance though its better to have problems keeping warm than keeping cool.

I have a silk mix duvet as well Phoenix lovely and light. I have a bedspread as well which I fold back at night but if it gets really really cold its an extra layer. I never have any heating in my bedroom.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 12:31:44

I've just hurled my winter duvet in a spare bedroom

I really should purchase one of those things that squash clothes/bedding etc etc. Can I remember what they're called? No.

Our winter duvet is very very heavy. But I am unsure of what Tog it is.

My summer duvet is flimsy and much easier to hurl off when it gets too warm

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 13:37:28

I have several of those storage bags, Oopsminty. They do compress everything but they become rock-like and difficult to manoeuvre into small spaces.

Charleygirl5 Fri 07-Aug-20 13:45:19

I have a double bed but use a king-size duvet because I also like the weight and the overhang. Mine is 15 tog and I also need a hot water bottle and occasionally a blanket or something as well.

I also use it in summer but throw it off if on the odd occasion I am too hot. I also have a memory foam mattress and topper which also creates heat. I nearly died in hospital last year of hypothermia when I had my knee replaced!! I could not get home fast enough.

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 13:53:43

Our 9.5 has recently gone to the laundry. It can button together with the 4.5 (on at the mo) to make a real winter one but tbh we’ve only ever used them together during the odd, really cold spell.
So unless you live somewhere particularly cold, or your house is cold, I’d have thought a 9 or 10 would be enough.

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 13:57:20

*Oopsminty I've just put the summer duvet on to the spare bed and tried to put the winter duvet from there away in a vacuum bag - what a struggle. It's gone into a drawer under the bed.
I hope the bag doesn't have a slow leak as I may never get it out again.

However, probably I'll be putting the winter duvet back on in there because it doesn't look as if anyone is coming to stay just yet.

PamelaJ1 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:54:20

We replaced our duvet last year and I bought a wool one. I’m trying to buy natural products when I can.
It doesn’t have a tog- apoarantly it can tell how hot we are! Not sure how that works.
Anyway it’s very comfy and seems to suit both of us so perhaps that is true.
It did smell a bit of sheep and DH was very reluctant to try it but I hung it outside for a few days and it was fine after that.

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 16:05:19

We’ve got a 13.5 feather and down quilt. In winter I use fleecy sheets, winter pjs, and a hot water bottle. In summer it’s cotton sheets, no hot water bottle, and lightweight summer pjs. If I’m too hot I just throw the duvet off.