Gransnet forums

Chat

Parakeets - noisy little b*ggers!!

(13 Posts)
Witzend Sun 09-Aug-20 19:54:00

There are masses of them around here (SW London) and at the moment there are whole flocks of them in our beech tree and several more trees at the back of our garden - presumably stripping the beech mast - all squawking their heads off! They’re very pretty, but...!

Missfoodlove Sun 09-Aug-20 19:55:18

Nothing as exotic here in East Yorkshire.

biba70 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:57:37

They certainly are - lots around my daughter's in Surrey too. I remember seeing the first ones many many moons ago at Kew.

Juliet27 Sun 09-Aug-20 19:59:00

I do sympathise. We’ve witnessed them en masse but luckily they’ve not moved far south enough..yet..to be a feature in my garden.

HAZBEEN Sun 09-Aug-20 20:04:08

When we lived in Spain the little darlings woke us every morning. Now back in Surrey they are doing it again!

tanith Sun 09-Aug-20 20:17:44

They are in my garden often and in the trees in the park at the back of me they are so noisy though especially early mornings.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-Aug-20 20:18:28

Try seagulls! And a chick grizzling all day long. He is suffering in this heat though poor little thing. It will be a glorious day when (if) he ever flies.

Urmstongran Sun 09-Aug-20 20:23:47

I love them! I like the way they fly in a green formation! They are so cute - smaller when flying than you’d think. I like to watch them leaving the palm trees in a group. Noisy buggers though, you’re right there.
?

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 20:23:55

Yes, we were used to them in Australia but then came home and went for a walk in a SW London park and was surprised to hear and see them here.

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 20:24:33

Better than magpies.
Or rooks

seacliff Sun 09-Aug-20 20:25:42

Lovely, gorgeous colours.

ladymuck Sun 09-Aug-20 21:04:25

Indeed,Callistemon. There are a lot of magpies where I am (they seem to have killed off any rivals, judging by the little bodies I have found), and they go crazy whenever there is a cat around.
We have rooks sitting on the roof, which also make a raucous noise.
And then there are my budgies...it's pointless trying to watch tv....the sound is drowned out by their screeching!

Callistemon Sun 09-Aug-20 21:17:05

Budgies! I grew up with budgerigars.