Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Chewsday

(7 Posts)
Rufus2 Tue 24-Nov-20 13:34:18

Exciting news for starters! Just been told that I’ll be a GREAT Grandad in May grin
How about that!? Grandson, David and Lee (Irish) live locally in Melbourne; our No2 son (now to be a Grandad! grin) conveyed the news and says parents-to-be know the sex, but not telling!
Call me old-fashioned, and I’m sure someone will!, we never thought of finding out; not sure if it was easy to do back then anyway, but surely knowing must take away some of the magic!?
Anyway I don’t need to know and I’ll propose a toast at such good news! wine

Rest of the news is also good. VIC has achieved 25 days straight with no new cases or deaths and now no “active” cases in hospital.
Ditto NSW and its border with Queensland re-opened. We can fly or drive practically everywhere except Northern Territory and maybe Tasmania (not sure)
Between the 6 States and 2 Territories, each with its own jurisdictions and rules it’s been very tricky trying to keep up with the frequent rules changes.

That Pizza idiot in South Australia is their No1 Public enemy, of course, and listening to the list of offences resulting from his lies, not to mention the economic damage caused due to the unnecessary lockdown should see him put away for life!

CC90 Hi! Expect you’re closely watching the travel news; Alan Joyce, Qantas chairman was interviewed on TV today talking about international flights and although nothing is being said about when they will resume, his view for when a Covid vaccine is available is “No jab, No fly”! Quite a clear message!
Otherwise jabs will be voluntary!*

Jaxjacky Thanks for your concern for Freda; she’s OK! We setimes wonder how Fred is doing (Anniebach’s companion), but living in soggy mid-Wales is not very conducive to going out right now I would think; he used to live in her hallway waiting for a new shed to be built, but no news so far.
Vaccination plans are in place, I hope, for when it’s available; the Oxford variety probably, but it won’t be compulsory so I won’t be in any queue. Never had the “normal ‘flu” shot either.
Go Leeds! Go Southampton Haven’t checked results lately, but Man City a real let down this season.
Another dose of Michael P. this evening. I now find myself concentrating on what activity he’s about to join in such that I forget the railway bit.
Tonight he was surfing at Newquay, “Rassling” at Bodmin, Swimming in the Lido at Plymouth’s sea front and joining in some meditation- type ritual at Dartington.
Our Michelle (B’mouth beige cardis!) tells me he was the most hated man in British politics when an MP. Perhaps she doesn’t like his choice of colours! shock

Jane Interesting you mention the thyroid. Vera had a severe goitre when she was 19 (before we met) and had about 90% of her thyroid removed. No tumour was involved, but I did learn that radioactive iodine can be involved in its treatment. It seems ironic normal iodine is necessary to counter iodine deficiency which resulted in her having to have function tests throughout her life to maintain its stability, otherwise it would go out of kilter and cause all sorts of side effects.
We live and learn! As you say, it’s Coronavirus now to occupy the mind!
Is Edinburgh a “hot-spot?” When do they record in “normal” times the Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo? Off the agenda now of course!

Callistemon You can’t fool me! You were “outed” ages ago being “Jalima” of yore!
And the dangling preposition “but” is dangerous given recent events and in any case is now “old” Queensland. grin

rafichagran I thought you’d pick the go- for- broke option! One further factor to consider is whether I can climb up the bus steps unaided, all 2 of them! When she asked that I thought here we go! I used to, but that was 6 months ago. Anyway, we’ll see. To be honest I won’t really mind if I can’t; I’m not going into training even if my personal best is nothing to write home about/

Btw; I seem to recall your CV claiming that you had indulged in sky-diving at some stage of your career! Awesome! hmm
Guess you can’t do that right now!

Good Health Everyone. 31C max. later today. {wine wine wine
OoRoo

Jane10 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:01:42

Hi Rufus2. Edinburgh isn't a hot-spot right now thank goodness. The tattoo is a festival things so, as an Edinburgh resident, I naturally have nothing to do with it! One good thing about Covid is that we weren't absolutely swamped with tourists this year. Things had really got out of hand and there was a big backlash against the dense over tourism. Apparently this is being addressed but 'a hae ma doots'! Precious little of the income from it reaches the city itself. Lots of big companies making big bucks but our streets are filthy, rubbish not collected, care of elderly and disabled decimated etc etc. Rant over. And relax...

Megs36 Tue 24-Nov-20 15:24:46

Hi Rufus Congratulations on forthcoming Great Granddadship, the only thing I’ve got at present is a great grand dog ?? but I guess that’ll change!!
Good about your Covid news still. We will go with the vaccine when offered although the Oldies are going to be nearly first in the queue, is that suspicious ??
????????

BlueSky Tue 24-Nov-20 17:55:10

Congratulations Rufus on the great grand news! Cheers! ??

rafichagran Tue 24-Nov-20 18:40:36

Many congratulations on being a Great Grandad Rufus.

mokryna Tue 24-Nov-20 18:49:52

Congratulations Great grandad Rufus, wonderful news!

CC90 Tue 24-Nov-20 20:16:17

CC90

Congratulations . But aren’t you just too young to have great grandfather status ??
I think most airlines will follow Qantas in expecting proof of vaccine . Just like the COVID free certificate is often a requirement . It will be the new “normal “ . I will certainly be taking up my vaccine option when it becomes available . Can’t come quick enough !