Gransnet forums

Chat

NEWS

(9 Posts)
EvieJ Thu 28-Jan-21 12:38:15

Do you watch the news everyday, if so why?

I did last year, but now i find it too sad and realised it effects my mood

Namsnanny Thu 28-Jan-21 12:44:31

Our reception is poor so we dont get the local news anyway.
The national news is so 'tunnel' visioned (biased?) That I dont bother with it much.
I get my info from all kinds of sources.

Calendargirl Thu 28-Jan-21 12:46:28

Always watch the BBC 6 o’ clock news, then the regional one.

Listen to hourly updates on the radio if it’s on, but don’t bother otherwise.

Septimia Thu 28-Jan-21 12:49:26

DH likes to watch it, so we usually do watch the early evening national and local news. We perhaps see the headlines at 10 but don't usually bother with the rest unless something desperately exciting happens.

At the moment the news does tend to be gloomy and I often mentally switch off during it. We also listen to the radio news, read papers online etc. I think it's important to know what's going on.

I, too, find it depressing a lot of the time but I'm fortunate in being a 'glass half full' person and tend to think that 'tomorrow is another day' when, hopefully, something better will happen!

BlueSky Thu 28-Jan-21 12:49:37

Check the BBC news on line first thing in the morning in case the Martians have landed. Wouldn’t surprise me at the moment!

EllanVannin Thu 28-Jan-21 12:55:23

Half the time I don't know what the news is from one day to the next as there are usually other programmes that I prefer to see. Started watching the Australian Married at First Sight programme until I caught up with it from 2019/20 so must have missed quite a bit of news.

Local news at 6pm for half an hour and that's about it.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Jan-21 12:58:11

Not through this I m avoiding it like the plague I think these daily constant updates are not good for our mental health
I do listen to world radio so I hears some stuff on that but at least it’s intermingled with news from the rest of the planet not just CoviD CoviD CoviD

Redhead56 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:14:02

I always watched the news and current affairs but start of the pandemic I was finding it distressing. I think this has been discussed before sorry if I am repeating myself. The BBC news comes across so dramatic I rarely watch it now I prefer to watch news briefings on line and I can rely on my DH for headlines.

rubysong Thu 28-Jan-21 13:31:00

We watch 'Breakfast' and 6pm news. It has been particularly depressing and distressing recently. They are putting such a lot of bereaved families, struggling NHS staff and failing businesses on each day. We know these things are important but they are really beginning to depress me, they are so relentless. If the reason for this is to make us stay home and do the right thing, I think we have got the message now.
Those who are ignoring lockdown are probably not watching BBC news. As soon as the government announces anything all we get is a string of people telling us why that is a bad idea. We need some hope and encouragement.