Gransnet forums

Chat

I love penguins

(14 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 07:09:11

I have a soft spot for penguins whether they're freezing in the snow or sunbathing in Adelaide. There is just something about these bird....so clumsy on land yet so graceful in water. This particular penguin caught my eye because of it's great escape strategy.

www.msn.com/en-us/video/peopleandplaces/penguin-escapes-killer-whale-by-jumping-onto-tour-boat/vp-BB1eomCx

CafeAuLait Thu 15-Apr-21 07:13:34

I love penguins too. Especially the blue ones. Very cute.

Sarnia Thu 15-Apr-21 08:12:55

Same here. Amusing little creatures. If you have never seen 'March of the Penguins' it is worth watching. You have to admire their long treks to the sea for food and when they return, how they manage to pick out their own chick from tens of thousands all chirping away at once.

Juliet27 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:14:14

They just make me sad. They have such tough lives.

sodapop Thu 15-Apr-21 08:42:11

Yes I find them fascinating as well, they can be such comic little characters. They do have a tough life.

dustyangel Thu 15-Apr-21 08:43:57

Fascinating birds, I love the way the one in the clip calmly observed the humans until it was safe for him to return to the water.

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:14:44

And heres me thinking i prefer Club biscuits tut.
Yes, i too love penguins,funny little creatures.

vampirequeen Sun 18-Apr-21 10:36:37

I used to like Club but they reduced the chocolate until there is hardly any there.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:44:48

I still like Yorkies, eat them whilst I watch the penguins

MiniMoon Sun 18-Apr-21 10:49:28

Here are some penguins for you.
This is one of Janey Godley's voice-overs without the swearing.
youtu.be/Bt_ElQw56BE

muse Sun 18-Apr-21 10:58:31

Q Why can't penguins fly?
A Because they are a chocolate biscuit.

Q Why was the penguin popular?
A Because he was an ice guy.

Jokes from the penguin wrappers grin

Love the film vampirequeen. Thank you.

Granny23 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:52:43

My love for penguins is well known, hence why I have a whole flock? of them in all materials, shapes and sizes. It is an easy gift choice for family and friends. Besides miniature penguins, I have penguin calendars, mugs, even a cigarette lighter and an adoption certificate for a penguin at Edinburgh Zoo. In icy weather I always "walk like a penguin" to avoid slips or falls. At Christmas, I carpet the big window sill with cottonwool and group them around a mirror in the middle.

Penguins are wonderful - mate for life, are great parents, work collectively to ensure the safety of all, are always smartly dressed and groomed. Best of all is their reaction if they fall over - jumping up as quickly as they can, looking to see if anyone has noticed and pretending nothing happened - just as humans do grin

SueDonim Sun 18-Apr-21 15:42:26

Granny23 have you seen the penguins in Dundee? There was a penguin trail a few years ago and there are now some that reside outside the RRS Discovery on the waterfront. I always like to pat them as I go by.

www.seedundee.com/news/the-tale-of-dundees-much-loved-penguin-pals/

Mogsmaw Sun 18-Apr-21 17:08:59

My husband “loathes” penguins. Which is unusual because he doesn’t often express strong feelings.
In his defence he spent a miserable 4 months in the Falklands. They, apparent, went on a trip in a land rover to visit a colony and someone “slipped in the guano”. He wasn’t allowed back in the vehicle and had to walk the many miles back to base.
I think they bring back unhappy memories.