Gransnet forums

Chat

I liked public transport better when we had restrictions

(18 Posts)
Noreen3 Fri 16-Apr-21 07:47:06

I'm enjoying the easing of restrictions,though I'm not keen on crowds,and believe we still have to be careful.I need to use public transport,but I think I preferred it when travel restrictions were in place.In fact,I wasn't aware that they have been lifted.Yesterday,I had my bag on the seat beside me as usual,a woman started to sit beside me,I automatically said she couldn't,but she said there were no seats.I didn't move my bag,so she was perched on the edge of the seat.She had walked past other people,and hadn't tried to sit with them,and there were places at the back too. It wasn't many minutes from town,but I found myself feeling really anxious,I haven't sat with anyone on a bus for over a year.I suppose we have to get used to it if we want to go anywhere.

Grammaretto Fri 16-Apr-21 08:59:25

That does sound a very anxiety inducing situation. I wouldn't have liked it either.
I have only been on buses twice in the last year and they were nearly empty. I used them all the time before.
I assume essential workers have no alternative so I avoid them and do all my shopping locally or online. I am lucky that I live in a small town with doctor etc close enough to walk.
I suppose we will eventually have to see crowds again abut I am not looking forward to it.

MerylStreep Fri 16-Apr-21 09:10:23

Be careful what you wish for.
If the bus companies have to carry on operating as you want them to there won’t be a bus for you to take.

nanna8 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:39:43

You can’t reserve seats here with a bag, you would probably get very short shrift. I wouldn’t have thought they would allow it there, either. Don’t you have to all wear masks? Surely that’s enough? I would find it really offensive if someone did that.

Elegran Fri 16-Apr-21 09:43:31

Why couldn't you put your bag on your knee?

Billybob4491 Fri 16-Apr-21 09:44:08

I went on a bus yesterday and restrictions are still in place, social distancing, masks etc., No problem.

Noreen3 Fri 16-Apr-21 13:10:14

thanks for all your comments.People where I live do tend to put their bags on seats,they were doing it before covid,we must be an unsociable lot!.I didn't do it myself pre-lockdown.I think the woman was wrong to say that there are no restrictions on buses now,she said she works for the NHS,so she knows all about it.As she works for the NHS, she should perhaps respect that some of us can feel anxious.It's strange that I was on a bus this morning,everyone was sitting separately,the driver even refused to let a woman on part way along the route,he said the bus was too full even though there were some double seats free.The restrictions don't seem to have ended yet.

Noreen3 Fri 16-Apr-21 13:11:07

was supposed to say It's strange

Esspee Fri 16-Apr-21 13:14:44

Social distancing is still the order of the day so you shouldn’t be sitting right next to someone. Noreen3, she was extremely rude and should not have made you feel uncomfortable.

BlueSky Fri 16-Apr-21 13:17:56

Yes I can see a lot of people being uncomfortable when restrictions are finally lifted. Still that’s what they’ve drummed into us! I’m in no hurry to go anywhere soon.

EllanVannin Fri 16-Apr-21 13:28:13

People themselves won't be the same as they were as everyone will be on edge for a long time to come. People in general are nowty for no particular reason and seem ready to go off like a pop bottle at the least thing.

I've used the bus a couple of times but each time there's only been half a dozen people on it but you had to wear a mask.

Elegran Fri 16-Apr-21 13:32:34

Neither of you were squeaky-clean, the woman because whether she is aware of it or not, it does appear that restrictions stop peope sitting right next to someone else, you because you would have been out-of-order in non-Covid times for obstructing a seat with your possessions and not shifting them to allow her to use it. You pay a ticket for ONE seat. There are no extra tickets for baggage.

Aldom Fri 16-Apr-21 13:40:18

Hands, face, space still apply. So a person who is not in your bubble or household should not be sitting beside you.

MissChateline Fri 16-Apr-21 14:51:50

I had a lovely day out shopping in Leeds yesterday. The train was reasonably busy but most people got to have either a table or two seats to themselves. I was at a table and another passenger had to sit diagonally opposite to me at the table. She was wearing a mask and was no closer to me than someone in a shop or passing in the street. I felt fine about this and not in the least anxious.
The train services have made it clear that social distancing will no longer be possible with seats roped off any more due to the increase in passenger numbers. We are going to have to get used to this and also continue to use public transport if we want to keep it for the future.
Many of us have now been vaccinated so let’s get on with life without fear.

Noreen3 Fri 16-Apr-21 18:43:43

I feel happier about this now,as I emailed the bus company.I had a reply saying that social distancing is still very much in place on the buses,that I shouldn't sit with someone not in my household,that I was right to say something to her,and that I should have mentioned it to the driver.And there I was feeling a bit guilty,though I was polite to the woman concerned.I'm quite pleased to discover that she didn't know as much as she thought she did.As some people have mentioned,I am aware that you shouldn't leave your bag on the seat,I never did it before covid.

lemsip Fri 16-Apr-21 19:41:09

two metres and masks are still in operation and we are still spaced out accordingley on the buses here. I would not let anyone sit next to me either.

MayBee70 Fri 16-Apr-21 20:23:49

Most of the buses that pass me seem to be pretty empty still albeit not quite as empty as before. But what surprises me is seeing bus drivers not wearing masks I would have thought they were required to wear them?

TrendyNannie6 Fri 16-Apr-21 20:28:52

Went on public transport today (bus) all self distancing all wore masks bus driver in shield and mask, willing to take cash too