Gransnet forums

Chat

underfloor heating

(13 Posts)
busybee6969 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:50:23

anyone on here got underfloor heating ,is it good or bad.looking at a house that has it in every room just want an honest view on it thank you

dragonfly46 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:56:37

My parents had it in their bungalow. It was only on at night and a booster for a couple of hours in the daytime as it was cheap rate.
It was always very warm and they did not have it on in the bedrooms.
It caused a lot of condensation and they needed a dehumidifier.
I didn’t really like the hot floor although my dad used to warm his pyjamas on it!

timetogo2016 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:56:11

Two of my friends have it,i personally don`t like it.
And if it breaks down the floor has to come up,a BIG NO from me.

dragonfly46 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:59:42

My parents had their bungalow for 50 years and it never broke down! I see you have dogs though and depending on the dog it could be too hot for them.

Razzy Sat 17-Apr-21 10:38:06

I love it. We have it in our bathroom and you just keep it on low all the time. Dries up the moisture, towels left on floor, warm underfoot. We will have it in our kitchen when redone too.

FlexibleFriend Sat 17-Apr-21 10:51:35

I have it in my bathrooms and it's always on and it's lovely underfoot but the rest of the house just has normal gas central heating.

midgey Sat 17-Apr-21 12:22:29

If you tend to have swollen feet or legs for any reason it really doesn’t help! We had it a previous house and I found it very difficult when my were swollen.

Pixieboots Sat 17-Apr-21 16:19:37

We have it throughout the house, upsatirs and downstairs. Always warm with no hot or cold spots. It is our only heating apart from a wood burner in one room which is only used when it is very cold in winter. Ours is run on oil as would our central heating but no radiators. The floors are one big radiator. Never had any condensation issues - I dont think underfloor heating causes condensation any more than radiators would. Condensation is caused through water/ damp in the air.

LauraNorder Sat 17-Apr-21 16:56:23

We have underfloor heating run by an air source heat pump. We had it in our last two houses too and wouldn’t have anything else.
Is is highly unlikely that you would ever have problems necessitating having the floor taken up. One alkythene pipe per area runs from the manifold and back without any join at all.
The heat is low and because heat rises keeps all of the room warm not just the bit around a radiator.
Our house was completely replastered and so much condensation was caused by excess water in the walls. We opened windows throughout summer and did a fifteen minute opening for air change in winter until the walls dried out. Now we don’t have any problem with condensation whatever the weather. Underfloor heating does not cause condensation. The floors do not get hot, they get warm.
We did have dogs and ensured that their beds were raised but the warm floors never seemed to bother them.
When we lived in France we had the same system but added a cold floor facility so that the floors were warm in winter and icy cold in summer, perfect.
Please feel free to pm me if you want to know more.

LauraNorder Sat 17-Apr-21 16:58:24

Forgot to say, we have thermostats in each room so that some can be warmer than others and some switched off altogether if preferred.

Nannarose Sat 17-Apr-21 17:08:56

We laid underfloor heating into the house we built. For various reasons, an air source / ground source hat pump didn't suit, so ours is gas. You don't say what your energy source is.
We have thermostats in every room and a very high level of insulation. We also have a mechanical heat recovery pump.
You do need to get used to it, you can't quickly boost or quickly turn down. However, once you are used to the thermostats, you can set them to suit you. I just have to remember to turn up the thermostat in the spare bedroom in good time.
We also have a very good timer, so if we go away (remember when?!) we can set the timer to come on several hours beforehand to warm the house up.
My own experience, from living in all sorts of houses, with all sorts of heating, in many different circumstances, is that the most comfortable is a low constant heat with very good insulation. So this suits us very well.

Sar53 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:19:09

We had underfloor heating put in our bathroom when we changed it a couple of years ago. It's not hot but warm underfoot and with a heated towel rail keeps the bathroom at a good temperature.

busybee6969 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:59:47

thank you all for your replies