Gransnet forums

Chat

Slow drivers

(93 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 22-Apr-21 16:06:27

Usually we see/hear people complaining about others who drive too fast. Quite rightly so as driving too fast leads to accidents and endangers other road users. However, equally as dangerous are those who drive too slowly because they cause tail backs and confusion.

Today we followed a man out of a Morrisons car park. All the time he was in the car park he drove at 5mph....even when we were on the wide road leaving the car park. This road leads to a roundabout with three roads leading off. He took the roundabout at 5mph and joined a busy main road. The speed is 40mph, then 50mph and then 60mph within a relative short distance. As he turned onto the road he started to speed up and we thought, fair enough he was just slow on the car park and leaving the store. But no. He drove at 20mph. It's impossible to overtake on this road because it's so busy in both directions all the time. Gradually his speed increased so that in the end we were doing 30mph in a 60mph zone. The road in front of him was clear but the traffic jam behind us just got longer and longer. Fortunately after 3 miles we turned off but that road is the only road to the nearest city or the motorway so anyone going further was stuck behind him. We were getting wound up by his poor driving. Heaven knows what people further back were thinking as they wouldn't know what was causing the hold up.

EllanVannin Thu 22-Apr-21 16:12:06

Shouldn't be on the road !!

AGAA4 Thu 22-Apr-21 16:18:59

The problem is that slow drivers cause those behind to become annoyed which in turn could lead to unsafe driving.

Sarnia Thu 22-Apr-21 16:24:02

Although I am in my 70's I think everyone intending to drive once they reach 70 should sit a small driving test. It wouldn't have to be qualified examiners all time. I think members with credentials from Advanced Driving schools are permitted to sit as passengers to observe driving skills.

Aveline Thu 22-Apr-21 17:12:56

I get embarrassed at holding other cars up and pull in to let them pass ASAP. I don't like feeling pushed to go faster than I'm comfortable with. I'm not as bad as that man though!

JenniferEccles Thu 22-Apr-21 17:31:43

I have said this on motorways when we have come across someone crawling along at 40 mph.
So dangerous especially nowadays when the traffic is going so much faster.
Yes in an ideal world everyone would keep the correct distance between them and the car in front, which would mean that the very slow driver would have been spotted, but as we all know that doesn’t often happen.

In their own way these very slow drivers on motorways particularly, are as much a menace as the speed merchants who weave in and out of the lanes.

M0nica Thu 22-Apr-21 17:57:35

A lot of slow drivers are, I am afraid, older people who should not be driving because there reflexes are slow and attention poor.

I speak with feeling, a few years ago just such a driver drove into the side of my car at a roundabout as I was leaving it. His description of what happened was so vague, his insurance company quickly accepted that he was at fault.

I also had an aunt driving like that when it was clear she was developing dementia.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Apr-21 18:01:42

I hope I am never that person. I have told my children and husband that they must tell me if I'm not up to it and haven't realised.

I can only guess how awful it must feel to lose our independence... but...

Coco51 Sun 25-Apr-21 10:38:40

In a supermarket car park a child could unexpectedly run out at any moment. Well done that driver for taking that into consideration. The speed LIMIT is just that - it is not a target!

Arty2 Sun 25-Apr-21 10:40:18

It is a difficult decision for elderly to make, give up my independence and do not drive.
However, there should be a check on us all as we get to say retirement age then five yearly afterwards. Give people jobs too!!!!

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 25-Apr-21 10:42:57

Slow drivers are as dangerous as speeders, along with lane hoggers

Clevedon Sun 25-Apr-21 10:47:57

Coco51
It is a limit as you say but I was surprised to hear when my children had driving instructors that drivers are these days told to drive at that limit. I remember being told by mum that she was told to ignore everything behind her and concentrate on in front

TrendyNannie6 Sun 25-Apr-21 10:49:24

Totally agree with Arty2 there should be a check on drivers at retirement age, and every five years ongoing, slow drivers are dangerous, also agree with Monica,

Scullion52 Sun 25-Apr-21 10:50:59

Annoying till you become one,privatised police in France fining fast drivers

vampirequeen Sun 25-Apr-21 10:51:33

Coco51

In a supermarket car park a child could unexpectedly run out at any moment. Well done that driver for taking that into consideration. The speed LIMIT is just that - it is not a target!

It wasn't the supermarket car park that was the issue. It was the slow speed on a major road. The road was clear in front of him and is doesn't suffer from lumps, bumps and pot holes. There was no reason for him to drive so slowly. If he'd driven like this in his driving test he would have failed due to holding up the free flow of traffic.

lemsip Sun 25-Apr-21 10:57:37

as you drive into morrisons car park there are large signs stating 5.miles per hour... until you completely leave the site.

Janetashbolt Sun 25-Apr-21 10:59:17

Not a popular opnion but I think more families should contact older relatives GPs or the DVLA/police to get liscences taken away from them. My mother in law always went all the way round any roundabout on the outside, no indication, road layouts/junctions/motorways are have all changed since a lot of older peopel learnt to drive and lots of very old drivers old drive once a week to the shops so don't gte the necessary practice. I hasten to add not all I'm 70 and drive every day for my job and have had a couple of refresher sessions through my employer.

maddyone Sun 25-Apr-21 10:59:30

My mother was driving until she was 92. She wasn’t fit to drive and I knew that but couldn’t persuade her to give up. Finally, whilst we were on holiday one time, she was picked up by the police for driving too slowly. They tested her eyesight and she couldn’t see properly. It turned out she had cataracts on both eyes, which have since been removed. She couldn’t get permission from the DVLA to drive again, thank God. She shouldn’t have been driving for a year or two before she finally stopped.

00mam00 Sun 25-Apr-21 11:03:52

A friend of ours was pulled over for only doing 40 in a 60 limit.

kevincharley Sun 25-Apr-21 11:05:36

Maybe his car had developed an issue and he was on his way to the garage.
Or maybe you were the reason... Maybe he felt you were driving too close and trying to force him to go faster.
Once you turned off he probably speeded up.

grannysyb Sun 25-Apr-21 11:17:03

My late aunt would crawl along at 30 in the country and much slower in towns. She was deaf and drove a geared car, you could hear her coming! She never had an accident, but probably caused some, both she and my father were if the generation who never took a driving test.

leeds22 Sun 25-Apr-21 11:17:36

Recently followed a middle aged driver who swerved into the middle of the road to avoid every manhole cover even though they were level with the road. When we had a motor home we frequently pulled over to let others get passed us; I wish other motor home and caravan drivers did the same - and they are not usually old.

Bucklen Sun 25-Apr-21 11:20:57

Agree

greenlady102 Sun 25-Apr-21 11:23:29

is anybody else laughing to see this on gransnet?

4allweknow Sun 25-Apr-21 11:28:52

You don't even mention the driver was "old". If he was perhaps it's a sight issue, not necessarily one of incompetence. The number of female drivers, mainly young, I have noticed who screw up their eyes when approaching junctions trying to read signs is alarming. Speeding on roundabouts is my thing. If drivers slowed down on them it would allow others to join from the other junctions keeping traffic flowing but no, folk drive at the same speed they do on the open road. It's the "I must be first" mentality. You may have done the driver a favour had you reported him, he may even have been drunk or under the influence of drugs.