Gransnet forums

Chat

if your voting on Thursday PLEASE take your own pens/pencils

(34 Posts)
infoman Thu 06-May-21 06:12:48

pens and pencils will be available,
but will not be used again on the day.
Although I am hoping they can be re-used after the 72 hour period.

BlueBelle Thu 06-May-21 06:34:01

I will take one .....but it s ridiculous you hold the door handles when you go in a shop which thousands touch you touch the bell to stop the bus which hundreds will press, if you use money, you pick up a packet of cereal that the lady before you picked up and decided they didn’t want
When you enter the polling station you will open the door you may even touch the desk you rest your paper on and whatever you do don’t have a wee while you’re out

If you are nervous about touching things wear gloves otherwise just get on with it and wash your hands when you get home

grandMattie Thu 06-May-21 06:38:18

Quite agree,*BB*. It is ridiculous! Jobsworths and bean counters come to mind!

rosie1959 Thu 06-May-21 07:11:44

I agree totally OTT

M0nica Thu 06-May-21 07:13:31

With most people vaccinated and the incidence of COVID down to very low levels, 2,144 cases, country wide yesterday, and anyway the disease is distributed through breathing in the virus, not touching it, this is plain ridiculous.

keepingquiet Thu 06-May-21 07:15:32

Hear hear- if you were so paranoid you could have had a postal vote and disinfected the paper!

eazybee Thu 06-May-21 07:48:35

It is a simple attempt to prevent the spread of infection; why sneer?

infoman Thu 06-May-21 07:52:24

Thank you eazybee for your moral support,
prevention is always better than a cure.

ginny Thu 06-May-21 08:18:59

It may be a bit OTT but I’l take my own pen. The problems within our town council leave me wary of using pencil !

Lucca Thu 06-May-21 08:25:53

But are you avoiding touching everything still ? It makes no sense

Jaxjacky Thu 06-May-21 08:46:56

I voted earlier, the normal small pencils tied to a length of string were in the booth.

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 08:50:41

grandMattie

Quite agree,*BB*. It is ridiculous! Jobsworths and bean counters come to mind!

There’s no need to sneer at people who are spending today running the elections and following guidance from the centre. What do you even mean about being a jobsworth or a bean counter? FFS. This type of attitude just makes me bloody mad.

Gingster Thu 06-May-21 08:57:44

Choices, choices. Make your own.

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 08:58:34

Gingster

Choices, choices. Make your own.

???????

Urmstongran Thu 06-May-21 09:01:19

Do what you like. Just keep your fingers away from your mouth until after you’ve washed them.

Ellianne Thu 06-May-21 09:05:57

My grandchildren hold pencils, ( and goodness knows what else!), all day at school. I hold their hands at pick up time. I won't be worrying about the possibility of a dirty pencil in a polling booth.

Lucca Thu 06-May-21 09:10:12

Lucca

But are you avoiding touching everything still ? It makes no sense

Quoting myself to add..... I may think it’s mad but if it’s a government guideline then the people running the polls have to follow.

Urmstongran Thu 06-May-21 09:19:08

This made me laugh today from the Telegraph.

MaizieD Thu 06-May-21 09:19:13

eazybee

It is a simple attempt to prevent the spread of infection; why sneer?

Covid is not spread by contaminated surfaces; it isn't caught by touch. It is caught by breathing in airborne particles breathed out by infected people which can linger in unventilated spaces for a long time.

So don't forget your masks, folks and make sure they snugly cover you mouth and nose...

Whitewavemark2 Thu 06-May-21 09:24:56

I see in USA many people wear two masks. I read somewhere how much more % the risk was lessoned and it was quite high.

BlueSky Thu 06-May-21 09:56:18

OTT at this stage in my opinion, and I’m guilty of many OTT stuff suffering from OCD. You can sanitise your hands as soon as you are done.

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 10:18:49

BlueSky

OTT at this stage in my opinion, and I’m guilty of many OTT stuff suffering from OCD. You can sanitise your hands as soon as you are done.

I agree with you and your first post - you didn’t criticise or sneer at the people having to implement the decision did you?

suziewoozie Thu 06-May-21 10:19:43

Sorry muddled you up with the other Blue ?

Kamiso Thu 06-May-21 10:32:52

ginny

It may be a bit OTT but I’l take my own pen. The problems within our town council leave me wary of using pencil !

If the virus is spread by breath can’t people spread it if they cough into their own hand? Hand washing has become the norm but presumably there are still some who think it doesn’t apply to them. There are still COVID conspiracy theorists who refuse to wear masks.

Kamiso Thu 06-May-21 12:38:23

Just been to the polling station. Took our own pencils. There were stumpy looking things that looked like black felt tips but you had to leave them behind to be sanitised!

Fortunately the weather was fine and the doors all open, as there was a queue of a dozen or more people enjoying the sunshine and a chat.