Gransnet forums

Chat

You tubes - more and more

(17 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 10-May-21 14:20:17

We are listening to You Tubes , especially the music, rather than watch tv more and more these days. It is very hard to find much on tv that we like. All depressing murders, molestations, so called reality shows and just same old same old.

Namsnanny Mon 10-May-21 14:22:15

Do you get a good sound for listening to music then nanna8

nanna8 Mon 10-May-21 14:23:49

Yes, we have a good tv we project on and speakers. Surround sound.

cb1963 Mon 10-May-21 14:32:07

I agree there doesn't seem to be many programmes that make you smile, and some of the game shows are just plain silly.
Whatever happened to the good old variety shows?

AmberSpyglass Mon 10-May-21 15:21:30

God, I thought variety shows were dire! Incredibly cringeworthy. I’d like some more drama on TV - I actually prefer the dark stuff.

Chestnut Mon 10-May-21 15:34:57

It's just game shows, reality shows, gardening, cookery, slimming, wildlife and travel, with some medical and Police things thrown in, including profiles of serial killers. I'm fed up with all those. I'm not keen on all the dark stuff and there have been a lot of dark dramas. BBC4 used to show some amazing social history programmes, and the dramas were much more varied and entertaining. I find very little I want to watch these days on the main channels, so find myself searching for movies and old drama series.

keepingquiet Mon 10-May-21 15:40:09

I love Youtube- so much stuff on there it's so easy to get hooked.
I also love BBC sounds and the brilliant podcasts on there-I hardly watch TV anymore.

MerylStreep Mon 10-May-21 15:45:33

I feel as if I should be paying Jeff Bezos more than £79 per year.
In the evening Amazon Prime is practically all we watch.
Only joking about the ‘paying more’ ?

midgey Mon 10-May-21 16:07:22

If you have Netflix My Octopus Teacher is worth watching.

Callistemon Mon 10-May-21 16:24:24

nanna8 we've just subscribed to Netflix which we've yet to explore but yes, our TV is not great here at the moment but I think yours is worse!

I did enjoy some programmes there starring Marta Dusseldorp and Janet King has been recommended (but it could be about crime).

DiscoDancer1975 Mon 10-May-21 16:30:47

We find You Tube is the best transmission as far as the sound is concerned. We have surround sound, and it’s very good quality. We even watch news items and other videos, and can hear perfectly. We’re tired of having to have subtitles on in our own language, because the sound quality is so bad!!?. So many films where the dramatic music is so loud, you can’t hear the dialogue. Don’t get me started on Netflix!!

cb1963 Mon 10-May-21 16:58:30

We have Amazon Prime. The movies in 4k are really good.

timetogo2016 Tue 11-May-21 09:38:54

I love You Tube.
I watch it everyday,all thats going on in the world is right in front of you.
And you can type in anything you want to watch from years ago and there it is.

nanna8 Tue 11-May-21 09:43:11

Netflix is very American and has a sameness about it. We got Acorn but once you have watched their stuff they don’t seem to put anything new on. Free to Air is dire except we have SBS which is slightly better but a lot of it is in a language other than English with subtitles. No good if you are doing craft work at the same time !

henetha Tue 11-May-21 09:48:11

YouTube is wonderful. It amazes me that I can go to it and type in the name of any song, from years ago maybe, and it will play it for me. I switch on my bluetooth speaker and it fills the room.
However, I do enjoy tv. I still love the gardening or cookery programmes, etc. Sewing Bee. Mastermind. Drama series like Line of Duty, and the news. I've also got Netflix so am never short of a film or series to watch.

lemsip Tue 11-May-21 10:42:45

Yes, I go on You Tube and type in whatever I feel like watching.........Lately I watch News Bloopers, Zoom Bloopers where some working from home on zoom forget there only suitably dressed on top half and get up....or someone halfdressed comes into shot...ha ha a good laugh.
also many sit coms from way back etc ect.
I type in Loose Women from 2009 onwards. Jayne Macdonald on the show so very funny. I do watch more serious stuff aswell and of course music. my favourite bands on tour.

Dee1012 Tue 11-May-21 10:48:05

I recently discovered Storyville on BBC Iplayer, a collection of international documentaries.
Such a wide range and totally fascinating.
I highly recommend having a look.