Gransnet forums

Chat

The weather

(34 Posts)
Katyj Wed 12-May-21 06:17:57

Anybody else fed up of this weather ?
We had a really bad storm last night here in Yorkshire. I can’t remember ever having such a wet May. Suppose it’s the price to pay for having such dry April.
I’ve had to postpone my birthday lunch on Friday until next week, so at least we can eat inside ?
Any amateur forecasters out there know when it’s going to get dryer and warmer ? I want to go away but don’t want to take my coat and wellies !

Kim19 Wed 12-May-21 06:25:33

Yes, I'm a little weary of it too. However, it has become a little milder rain which is one tiny stage up from hailstones. Yep, I'm clutching at straws! As I write this there's a storm and a half going on outside. Blimey! Isn't a cosy bed a wonderful refuge?!!

Urmstongran Wed 12-May-21 07:10:48

It was foggy here in south Manchester first thing this morning, I couldn’t see the Pennines. Just watch, we will be allowed inside places to eat and drink from Monday and I bet after all this awful wind and rain, when we’ve all had to stay outdoors, the sun will be cracking the flags.
?

JaneJudge Wed 12-May-21 07:15:04

I have turned into my Mother as I keep saying 'we are having April weather in May' grin it isn't to bad here today at the moment

Nonogran Wed 12-May-21 07:39:55

Fabulous on the Cornish north coast this morning! Bit changeable yesterday but it's bright sunshine & blue sky at present. Keep the faith, it'll clear up

Ellianne Wed 12-May-21 08:06:12

You restore my faith Nonogran. I'm heading your way for a holiday!
Why can't we see more than a day or two of sunshine at a time?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-May-21 08:08:20

Nonogran

Fabulous on the Cornish north coast this morning! Bit changeable yesterday but it's bright sunshine & blue sky at present. Keep the faith, it'll clear up

Polzeath!! My home stomping ground?

MerylStreep Wed 12-May-21 08:12:13

We’ve had some lovely days here in Southend. I’ve done so much in the garden lately that I’ve got a light tan on face and arms. OH has ‘sunbathed’ a few times.
This morning was the first time this year that the heating didn’t come on. It’s set at 21.
So summers here ?

Galaxy Wed 12-May-21 08:14:15

That looks so beautiful nonogran, I need to gear myself up to make the long journey from the frozen north and have a holiday theregrin

Lucca Wed 12-May-21 08:16:18

Nowt wrong with Yorkshire weather this morning.

Lucca Wed 12-May-21 08:18:21

First post I saw this morning was saying Australian borders possibly not open until mid 2022. (DS not seen since 2018)
Second post I saw was moaning about the weather here.........really ??

Galaxy Wed 12-May-21 08:20:36

I am sorry Lucca that must be so hard flowers

Lucca Wed 12-May-21 08:21:39

Thank you.

Lin52 Wed 12-May-21 08:35:46

Katyj

Anybody else fed up of this weather ?
We had a really bad storm last night here in Yorkshire. I can’t remember ever having such a wet May. Suppose it’s the price to pay for having such dry April.
I’ve had to postpone my birthday lunch on Friday until next week, so at least we can eat inside ?
Any amateur forecasters out there know when it’s going to get dryer and warmer ? I want to go away but don’t want to take my coat and wellies !

As my wise granddaughter tells me “ we do live in Great Britain nanny, what do you expect”!

Lucca Wed 12-May-21 08:36:10

Sorry. I apologise for putting a downer on this thread.
Completely unreasonable of me.
I’ve had my weep now and I’ll get up and go play tennis in the glorious sunshine.

EllanVannin Wed 12-May-21 08:46:53

I imagine the parents of the 9 year old boy, killed by lightening yesterday, aren't too happy about the weather !

Sarnia Wed 12-May-21 08:49:54

When I was stood in the playground yesterday waiting to collect my GD's, everyone was moaning about the weather. We have had some sunny days but they are always accompanied by a chilly wind. It will be nice to have some warmth.

Sarnia Wed 12-May-21 08:52:28

Lucca

Sorry. I apologise for putting a downer on this thread.
Completely unreasonable of me.
I’ve had my weep now and I’ll get up and go play tennis in the glorious sunshine.

I don't think you need to apologise. It must be so hard on you to have read about possible Australian restrictions when you must want to see your son so much. flowers

ginny Wed 12-May-21 08:53:20

Lin52 your GD is exactly right.

A week or so ago , people were complaining and saying how we needed rain , now they are moaning because we have too much.
My DH feels that he has has to tell me each day what the weather forecast is. I’m not interested, the weather will be what it will be. We can’t change it.

Mapleleaf Wed 12-May-21 08:54:13

That's understandable Lucca ?. Let's hope, as things improve, Australia might have a change of heart and bring the date forward. ?

Esspee Wed 12-May-21 08:54:38

April was so beautiful here in Glasgow. We had lots of meals outside which is almost unheard of in this neck of the woods and we had to water the garden a few times.
Seems that April and May have reversed this year.
Yesterday we were on Loch Lomond and although the wind made it feel cool the thermometer was reading 18C.

ginny Wed 12-May-21 08:55:28

lucca no need for apologies. I have two friends in the same position.

Witzend Wed 12-May-21 09:01:35

It’s certainly warmed up quite a lot here (SW London) - for what seemed ages we’d had a positively Arctic wind - and TBH we’ve been very glad of the rain - everything was terribly dry.

foxie48 Wed 12-May-21 09:08:02

I'm afraid we needed the rain as I garden on heavy clay which had set like concrete! However, it can go away now and take the wind with it!

Redhead56 Wed 12-May-21 09:17:24

I wanted a little rain for my veg patch but it’s been ridiculous. I put my thick jumpers away two weeks ago don’t know why I bothered.