Gransnet forums

Chat

Up and about after giving birth - how soon for you?

(125 Posts)
ixion Thu 17-Jun-21 16:49:44

"It’s only been eleven days since she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl, but Meghan Markle is already 'back on her feet', according to a friend.

The Duchess of Sussex is already up and about walking her dogs, even though her second child - Lilibet "Lili" Diana Mountbatten-Windsor - was only born on June 4, the source claimed".
(From the ^Daily Mirror^)

I'm sure I was flying solo pretty quickly after each of mine (it was a while ago!)

How soon were you up and running after your child(ren)'s birth and did you have help in the house?

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 16:55:20

I was always "up" the same day and "out and about" probably on day 3.
I have photos of our first-born in some woodland on day 3 and I know that number 3 was at the theatre with siblings at 3 days old.

My daughter-in-law went to collect her 3 year old from nursery on day 2.

I think it's harder if you have a caesarean. Maybe that will take 11 days? Maybe they just want something to talk about!

Teacheranne Thu 17-Jun-21 16:58:07

My youngest child was born at 7.30 am at a local cottage hospital run by midwives and I was home again by early afternoon. My mum drove up in the morning and stayed with us for a week as I also had a child aged 13 months and another aged 31/2 so had my hands full. My husband did not take any leave after the second day, in fact he flew off to the US four weeks after the birth and was away for two months! I have no idea how I managed on my own, it had faded from my memory, probably for the best!

Puzzler61 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:58:13

I admire women who ‘bounce back’ quickly after giving birth.
I had a C-section for my first-born who was a breech baby and it took about 3 weeks for me to recuperate.
I had a Home Help lady to help as DH had to return to work.

AGAA4 Thu 17-Jun-21 16:58:18

I remember doing the ironing 3 days after my last child was born.
In the 60's we were kept in hospital for 7 days after the birth. Not needed for most so glad they turfed me out shortly after my younger children were born.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:00:30

7 days in hospital with first, subsequently less days each birth leading to out after 24 hours with last.

I and DH were winging our way to a residential conference 7 days later with DD who spent most of that time under my top hidden by a discreetly placed wrap (breast feeding).

I was a couple of months shy of my 37th birthday and most of my work/posh clothes fitted OK’ish, unfortunately this time jeans were an impossible dream.

grandMattie Thu 17-Jun-21 17:01:01

I gave birth in the days one was kept in hospital for a week - forbidden to see your older children. It was hard!
in my mother's day, she wasn't allowed out of bed for a fortnight, and not allowed up and down stairs for 28 days...
These days, it seems that newly delivered women get up and go within a few hours. Of course, with a Caesarian it is much harder as they have had a major operation.

Witzend Thu 17-Jun-21 17:01:07

I thought it was normal to be up and about fairly soon - even in the 70s, when I was in hospital for a week, you weren’t expected to stay in bed all the time.

In my grandmothers’ day I think staying in bed for a month was pretty normal - if it was possible (not for most of course) so of course women did feel very weak by the time they did finally get back on their feet.

sodapop Thu 17-Jun-21 17:04:45

Hospital for seven days after my first child in the 60s as AGAA4 said then with the second in the 70s only 48 hours. I remember being told not to take my first outside for at least a week after I got home. How things have changed.

Ilovecheese Thu 17-Jun-21 17:05:08

My friend gave birth to her second child in mid December. A few days later my friend's husband "encouraged" her to come shopping with him because he didn't feel confident about buying the Christmas food. She heamorraged in the supermarket and spent Christmas in hospital.

eazybee Thu 17-Jun-21 17:07:11

I remember going to my in-laws for Christmas Day, six days after my son was born, and returning to the dining room after feeding him, whereupon every one rose from the table and said, right, time for the washing -up. I, my mother- in-law and sister-in-law went into the kitchen and washed, dried and put away everything from a meal for six while our respective husbands sat and played backgammon by the fire.
Sign of things to come.

Grandmajean Thu 17-Jun-21 17:10:52

Both born in the 70s and in hospital for five days. Nagged to get home with the first but enjoyed my hospital stay with the second ! Easy births in spite of my tiny frame. MIL came to stay for a week after the first but that actually made me more stressed. She was a good help but FIL was like another child in the house and she treated him as one ! So glad scans were in their infancy ( never had one ) as would have worried about them. I was euphoric the day my first baby was born. Still remember it .

growstuff Thu 17-Jun-21 17:11:52

Both my children were born by C section. I was made to stay in hospital for five days after the first one and almost went mad with boredom. I insisted on coming home the next day after the second one. I wasn't allowed to drive, but I didn't stay in bed, was careful with what I did for a few days until the scar had healed, but I was certainly up and about and was able to pick up my older child from school after 11 days. With the help of a comfy chair and loads of pillows to support the baby, I could breastfeed. In fact, I was told not to sit about and to exercise as much as I could.

Dryginger Thu 17-Jun-21 17:15:38

5 days in hospital couldnt wait to get home. Washing up and my neighbour who was a nurse banged on my door and said you shouldnt be up. this was 1980 so I think times have changed a lot. No shaving or enamas (?) anymore.

Mattsmum2 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:15:45

Had c section with both of mine so were in hospital for about a week then home. Had help with my first but not with second 9 years later. Not being able to drive for 6 weeks was probably the biggest inconvenience. Did most things soon after coming home .

Sparklefizz Thu 17-Jun-21 17:16:57

I came home from hospital 36 hours after a difficult birth and loads of stitches. I also had a toddler to run about after, and no help because my husband was due to give evidence at the Old Bailey (he was a detective), so I just had to manage. My Mum wasn't keen on taking a few days off work to help out. I got on with it all.

Grannynannywanny Thu 17-Jun-21 17:34:19

I gave birth in 1978 and 1980. Home within 48 hours. My husband was zero help. I’m so glad times have changed for the better. Both my son and son in law are very supportive husbands and hands on dads.

Blossoming Thu 17-Jun-21 17:40:16

Well the press have to dream up something to fill their pages.

blondenana Thu 17-Jun-21 17:40:44

With 2 home births up and about the same day, no help, not even from husband,[now ex]
Hospital births as soon as i got home

geekesse Thu 17-Jun-21 17:51:05

I was teaching ballet (painfully, I had an episiotomy) a week to the day after the birth of child no 1. Child no 2 was born at 6am. I went home at lunchtime and cooked pepper steak and chips for a celebratory dinner that evening.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 18:00:36

I always felt like I was not given enough time to rest and recover after mine were born. I don't think I was anything special special that I came home and put the bins out. I'd have rather have rested and had help and someone to clean the house so I could have spent time recovering and looking after my baby. I'm not sure the minimising of women's health needs and issues is in any way helpful to us all as women, whether it is childbirth related or otherwise.

Redhead56 Thu 17-Jun-21 18:11:20

After spending the whole pregnancy in antenatal ward because of complications. The first birth was very difficult Simpson’s forceps I was kept in hospital for five days. I had to just get on with it my husband was in work.
My second pregnancy was not as difficult as the first. The birth was very quick and I was sent home the next morning. Again my husband was working but by then the marriage was over. Both my babies were born on a Saturday night which interfered with his social life.

Grandmabatty Thu 17-Jun-21 18:12:26

I was in hospital for six weeks before birth with pre eclampsia and was bored rigid (mid80s) then had to stay in for five days after ds was born. I didn't mind it except I couldn't sleep as it was a big ward full of mothers and babies. I had lots of stitches so I wasn't able to do much. After the birth of dd, 4 years later, I was home after two days and more confident to move about and do stuff.

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Jun-21 18:58:21

My third, 1991, was born at home, about 8pm, I was up and about the next day. Back to work after three weeks off.

MawBe Thu 17-Jun-21 19:00:12

D3 had her (first) baby late Sunday morning, having only gone into hospital mid-morning.
She was home before teatime.
I on the other hand enjoyed my 8 days after each of my 4 C sections!