Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Brexit 'bonus'

(43 Posts)
vampirequeen Sat 19-Jun-21 08:18:28

www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/royal-british-legion-to-stop-selling-poppies-in-the-eu-due-to-brexit/ar-AALcnDO?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

The British Legion will no longer be selling poppies and other fund raising products abroad due to the amount of red tape and duties imposed due to Brexit.

I hope the leavers are happy with the outcome of their votes. After all who needs a fishing industry, shell fish industry, cheese industry, export and import industry, beef and lamb industry and a charity that cares for those who have given service to this country.

dragonfly46 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:22:11

I was not aware that poppies were sold in Europe. In my 18 years living in the Netherlands I never saw a poppy on sale.

MawBe Sat 19-Jun-21 08:29:17

My German teacher friends were similarly puzzled when they first saw them when I hosted school exchange visits usually in October/November.

harrigran Sat 19-Jun-21 08:35:34

I have relatives in Belgium and Germany and the only poppies seen are the wild ones in the fields.

Parsley3 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:42:55

In France, when I visited the grave of an ancestor who had died in WW1 I bought poppies from a museum shop. They are available near the war graves sites.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:43:31

The only places abroad were I have seen poppies/merchandise on sale have been British Military Bases. This will continue as they are classed as British soil

Lin52 Sat 19-Jun-21 08:49:20

Can’t find the truth anywhere on the Legion website, visiting Germany, over many years, in November for sister birthday and Christmas markets, have never seen anyone wearing a poppy, neither has my niece who lives in Holland. False news, as was the not selling to avoid upsetting minorities fiasco.?

LauraNorder Sat 19-Jun-21 08:56:23

Lived in France for three years. Bought my poppy from U.K. website. The French wear the blue cornflower to remember.
More fake scaremongering Brexit news

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:08:11

But the fact that there is now a real structural issue in the export of food and drink to the EU is definitely not fake news. Neither is it according to HMRC - teething troubles

The falls in sales are enough to destroy British businesses.

Farmers are facing a double nightmare of not exporting to the EU and cheap adulterated meat from Australia.

LauraNorder Sat 19-Jun-21 09:15:32

Much of the fall in sales of meat and fish is due to the fact that restaurants throughout Europe have been closed due to the pandemic.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:16:51

LauraNorder

Much of the fall in sales of meat and fish is due to the fact that restaurants throughout Europe have been closed due to the pandemic.

Not according to HMRC

GrannyGravy13 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:20:42

Buy British reared meat rather than cheap Danish Pork/Bacon etc.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:21:10

Labour shortage is hitting our food producers hard.

There is shortage in pickers, packers, processing, warehousing, drivers.

Businesses are asking for greater access to EU labour.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 09:22:22

GrannyGravy13

Buy British reared meat rather than cheap Danish Pork/Bacon etc.

I do, I buy it from an organic farm where the animals are grass fed free range etc.

But that won’t save the farmers.

maddyone Sat 19-Jun-21 11:27:50

I didn’t know poppies were sold abroad.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Jun-21 12:02:18

My friend, who has lived in Spain for the last 15 years, has had 2 poppies posted out to her every November because she can't get them there. So which countries in the EU are affected by this new directive please vampirequeen?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:11:30

Chewbacca

My friend, who has lived in Spain for the last 15 years, has had 2 poppies posted out to her every November because she can't get them there. So which countries in the EU are affected by this new directive please vampirequeen?

Try the Daily Mail??

felice Sat 19-Jun-21 12:12:17

We sell Poppies here in the Church of Scotland in Brussels in Belgium, they are also sold in other UK Churches here.
I have not heard of a ban here !!!!!!
The Belgians do not wear them, please remember they are bought to raise funds for a UK charity.

SkyBird Sat 19-Jun-21 12:17:13

They are sold in Spain. We have them in our charity shop. The Royal British Legion also sell them outside supermarkets frequented by Brits.

Chewbacca Sat 19-Jun-21 12:21:09

Try the Daily Mail??

Eurgh! No thanks!

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 12:22:16

I doubt that they made much money by selling poppies in Europe anyway.

Poppies could not be sold directly to the public by poppy sellers last year because of Covid restrictions.
Like many charities, their income last year was down by millions but the need was even greater.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:23:17

Chewbacca

^Try the Daily Mail??^

Eurgh! No thanks!

But there is your evidence you asked for ?

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 12:26:24

First that came up was Reuters and the I!
And the Yorkshire Post.

nanna8 Sat 19-Jun-21 12:28:00

We sell poppies every year here in Australia with monies raised going to returned servicemen. Vietnam vets mostly these days probably.

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 12:47:16

Oh, I didn't realise that nanna8.
We usually wear a sprig of rosemary on Anzac/Gallipoli Day.