Gransnet forums

Chat

Feel the fear and do it anyway

(87 Posts)
MawBe Thu 24-Jun-21 12:43:42

I have never much liked going to the dump- in the past it has been a rather noisy, almost aggressively “male” place when the staff are grumpy and I feel clueless. Now that you have to book a slot online I felt even more intimidated but in fact because it was quieter, the staff were positively welcoming and much more helpful and this morning I conquered that fear.
The other achievement was to take my car to the “hand” car wash. Again, somewhere I do not feel comfortable - do I turn the engine off ? Then what does the man mean, is he indicating I should move forward,? I can’t see a blind thing through the soapy windscreen. The end result is a sweeter smelling shiny car and it’s the best £22 I ever spend (gone up since I was last there as I had to pluck up my courage!)
So what do you “fear” and then “do anyway” ? Whether it is driving on the motorway or dealing with spiders, sometimes we just have to get on with it, dont we?

greenlady102 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:46:22

well done!

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 12:48:57

I love going to our tip. The men who work there have fashioned a garden with unloved gnomes and plastic herons brightening the area.
Every day I have to face my fear. We have sacks of nuts and mealworms for the birds and once I got my scoop and a mouse ran over my hand. Talk about scream. Embarrassing. But even now I tiptoe towards the sack with trepidation.

Talullah Thu 24-Jun-21 12:49:25

And well done, MawBe*!

Gingster Thu 24-Jun-21 12:50:38

Well done Maw. It’s strange how over the years we get anxious about small things.
I don’t drive on motorways or dual carriageways. Get panicky, although I think I’m a good driver. Don’t like driving anywhere really but have to make myself. No one has time or patience on the road.

Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 12:52:44

I play in matches in spite of often being nervous and worried about making a fool of myself.

Granmarderby10 Thu 24-Jun-21 12:59:48

Still don’t like speaking into a recorded message but get along fine with Alexa, Siri, and hey Google!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:04:38

I have always been a fairly confident driver, whizzing round the M25 has never fazed me, that is until lockdown when I went for four months not driving anywhere and approximately eight months without seeing let alone driving on a duel carriageway.

I now make myself drive on the A127 / A130 and the duel part of the A13 at least once a week, my driving mojo is slowly but surely returning.

Gingster Thu 24-Jun-21 13:13:50

Well done GG . I haven’t driven on the A127 or A130 for years. I think it’s a bit of a phobia. As soon as I approach these roads, I have a panic attack . Not good when you’re behind the wheel.?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:15:57

Gingster

Well done GG . I haven’t driven on the A127 or A130 for years. I think it’s a bit of a phobia. As soon as I approach these roads, I have a panic attack . Not good when you’re behind the wheel.?

Don’t worry when we eventually sort out our meet-up I will come and pick you up (I can put the top down so we shall be outside technically ?)

Gingster Thu 24-Jun-21 13:29:05

Oh wow that sounds amazing! Can’t wait! ?. ?

Casdon Thu 24-Jun-21 13:32:09

Driving doesn’t cause me any anxiety at all, I’ll happily drive anywhere without thinking anything of it, and I’m happy to take the car to the garage, etc. too.

Don’t ever put me in a room with a spider, or expect me to ring anybody to get work done in the house though, both those freak me out. Illogical aren’t we?

Sar53 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:33:54

Well done Maw. I have become very anxious about lots of things in the last year. Driving is one of them. DH does most of it now but in a couple of weeks I have to drive to DD2 in Kent. The A13 and M25 and on the way back the dreaded Dartford Tunnel. Ive always hated the tunnel, the large lorries in the left hand lane scare me.
If I want to go to see DD2 I have to put my big girl pants on and 'feel the fear and do it anyway '.

FarNorth Thu 24-Jun-21 13:35:50

I wouldn't say 'fear' but I'm terrible for putting off phoning people, because I'm sure I'll pick a bad time for them.
Of course, it's easily dealt with if it is a bad time or if they don't answer.

rosie1959 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:37:39

Blimey MawBe I would feel the fear too it’s six quid here to get you car hand washed
I have a bit of a irrational fear when driving my husbands car on strange roads no problem in my little Astra but in his Jag which feels huge I am not so confident at all. It is actually better on slip roads ect as it’s automatic and has a very fast pick up. It also has parking sensors but seeing over the bonnet is troublesome as I am 5’2

CraftyGranny Thu 24-Jun-21 13:38:17

Going to the dentist does it for me but we have to go!

timetogo2016 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:44:03

I don`t like talking to people i don`t know over the phone but i have no choice.

merlotgran Thu 24-Jun-21 13:51:14

Well done Maw.

I’ve just calculated that I haven’t been on a train for thirteen years. I don’t think it will be happening any time soon but as a true country bumpkin I don’t even know how to buy a ticket! ?

Nell8 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:55:10

I dread when it's my turn to present the latest title to my book group. I have a grasshopper mind and find joined-up thinking a challenge. My delivery is worthy of Boris, with lots of um-ing and er-ing. Thank goodness nobody seems to mind when I resort to reading out comments I've found on Google.
I do envy articulate people!

Kate1949 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:55:24

Well done everyone. Flying terrifies me but I do it anyway. Well I did pre pandemic. I even flew to New York after much panic, fear and time spent in the loo at the airport blush

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Jun-21 14:06:06

Kate1949

Well done everyone. Flying terrifies me but I do it anyway. Well I did pre pandemic. I even flew to New York after much panic, fear and time spent in the loo at the airport blush

I have a flying phobia, standing joke in our family as I am prone to rushing to the loo in the departure lounge to throw-up .

I am still not a good flyer, but after flying to America just me and a 9yr old I had to be a big girl and just carry on regardless especially as we have family and close friends overseas.

Callistemon Thu 24-Jun-21 14:12:54

Well done, MawBe.

Something really simple got me in a tizzy the other day. Normally DH always fills the car with fuel but he couldn't so I had to do it and got very anxious but it was simple, easy to do and easy to pay. How stupid was that to worry about it?

Grandma70s Thu 24-Jun-21 14:19:35

Casdon

Driving doesn’t cause me any anxiety at all, I’ll happily drive anywhere without thinking anything of it, and I’m happy to take the car to the garage, etc. too.

Don’t ever put me in a room with a spider, or expect me to ring anybody to get work done in the house though, both those freak me out. Illogical aren’t we?

I don’t mind spiders at all, but I too have a fear of ringing people to get work done in the house. In fact I am a bit scared of ringing anyone. Totally illogical.

On the whole I avoid things I fear. I don’t drive or swim. I’m not sure I exactly fear swimming, but it just doesn’t appeal to me.

Aveline Thu 24-Jun-21 14:19:52

I plucked up courage and went to the local hand car wash last week. Those men are scary somehow. However, the car looks like new. It was only £8 too.

ayse Thu 24-Jun-21 14:20:24

Gingster

Well done Maw. It’s strange how over the years we get anxious about small things.
I don’t drive on motorways or dual carriageways. Get panicky, although I think I’m a good driver. Don’t like driving anywhere really but have to make myself. No one has time or patience on the road.

I loathe dual carriageways and motorways but feel much better on a single carriageway. Head says it’s irrational, heart and stomach don’t agree. I prefer to drive on roads I know.

I think it’s to do with speed and recognising that my reactions are not as fast as they used to be. It’s the same when I’m a passenger. I just don’t like being driven in a fast car going at normal speed. My children have all commented on me holding on tight to the door.