Gransnet forums

Chat

Is a woman’s competition a cat fight?

(16 Posts)
Mollygo Tue 27-Jul-21 07:47:01

The man (possibly Chris Mears) commentating on the synchronised diving this morning referred to the women’s competition as a ‘cat fight’. Is this OK?

Lucca Tue 27-Jul-21 07:50:17

Clearly not

Grandmabatty Tue 27-Jul-21 07:52:39

No, it isn't okay but given the issue with womens beach volleyball clothing, it's not surprising. Was that BBC?

Riverwalk Tue 27-Jul-21 07:59:48

I think they just run out of the things to say!

On Radio 4 sports news earlier, someone (could be same person) referred to a men's swimming/diving event as a dog fight.

LullyDully Tue 27-Jul-21 08:06:47

Why are cats female and dogs male?

Mollygo Tue 27-Jul-21 08:10:43

Grandmabatty

No, it isn't okay but given the issue with womens beach volleyball clothing, it's not surprising. Was that BBC?

Yes it was BBC and DH just passed me the report about the beach handball clothing.
Can women not wear shorts because some spectators are watching bottoms rather than the sport? Which group of spectators would that be then?

Grandmabatty Tue 27-Jul-21 08:20:18

I think a complaint to BBC is required then! I'll get my pen. It is depressing that there are still issues regarding what women are 'allowed' to wear and how they have to fight for equality even here. And a commentator using such disparaging remarks doesn't help

M0nica Tue 27-Jul-21 08:27:42

Lullydully Because cats are more intelligent.grin

MerylStreep Tue 27-Jul-21 08:43:03

Riverwalk

I think they just run out of the things to say!

On Radio 4 sports news earlier, someone (could be same person) referred to a men's swimming/diving event as a dog fight.

If our Gold medalist Tom Dean wants to call his race a dog fight that’s fine by me.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 27-Jul-21 08:53:21

LullyDully

My OH thought that was the case for years!

Newatthis Tue 27-Jul-21 08:58:42

Any comments on the men’s swimming trunks? These are women who have spent many hours, months and years training and derogatory comments are being made and comments in their swimwear - shame in the people who are making them.

Elegran Tue 27-Jul-21 09:58:04

A race is only a cat fight if those involved stop competing in mid-flight to bitch at each other. I don't think any of the swimmers are likely to do that. They want to win, not to scratch each other's eyes out.

If the comment was made because of what the women are wearing, how does that compare with the men's clothes? I would have though both sexes would be wearing what is least likely to cause drag in the water and slow them down - that is, as skimpy as complies with decency.

In ancient times, sportswear was bare skin. The word "gymnast" comes from the Greek for naked. Perhaps nudity should be obligatory for swimmers? though the men might find that increases the drag factor.

Elegran Tue 27-Jul-21 09:59:52

The less well endowed might welcome the advantage.

Lincslass Tue 27-Jul-21 10:13:28

Mollygo

Grandmabatty

Yes it was BBC and DH just passed me the report about the beach handball clothing.
Can women not wear shorts because some spectators are watching bottoms rather than the sport? Which group of spectators would that be then?

Not sure, could be men, or women, don’t you think.

Blossoming Tue 27-Jul-21 10:16:28

LullyDully

Don’t forget about the bitches. Sexism and misogyny are never far away.

Parsley3 Tue 27-Jul-21 10:19:53

Being called an old dog is a bit of a compliment but being called a bitch certainly isn’t.