Gransnet forums

Chat

Prejudism extends beyonds skin colour

(78 Posts)
Newatthis Thu 05-Aug-21 14:15:04

Being prejudice and judgemental can extend far beyond the colour of people skin. I am from Liverpool and recently I went to a supper at someone's house. When I walked in one of the guys, who clearly thought he was funny, said ' here she is, lock up your handbags ladies and keep your eye on them'. He clearly though that as I was from Liverpool then I must have also been a thief. I also remember a friend, who was a little overweight, was told (not so long ago) that she wasn't successful in her job application as a receptionist as she was 'too heavy'. Why is the human race like this. Does it matter, what colour people are, how they speak, where they live or what they look like?.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 14:16:33

what did you say to him? that is so rude angry

Newatthis Thu 05-Aug-21 14:19:55

I was actually a little confused at first not really understanding what he meant. I didn't say anything as I was a little upset and angry. I know I should have said something.

JaneJudge Thu 05-Aug-21 14:21:55

Did nobody else say anything?

Kali2 Thu 05-Aug-21 14:22:34

It does- least said ;)

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 14:24:22

I think often when people are in groups they dont challenge that kind of thing. I would have been tempted to nick his wallet but my judgement isnt always the best grin

Kate1949 Thu 05-Aug-21 14:24:25

Oh yes. My parents were Irish. A colleague said to me once, not knowing this, 'I never buy Irish butter, cheese etc. They are a bunch of terrorists. I can't stand the Irish.'
When I told her my parents were Irish she said 'Oh it's my husband who tells me not to buy them'. Such ignorance.

luluaugust Thu 05-Aug-21 14:33:22

How rude, I think I would have looked puzzled and said what do you mean? I know people think about where I live in a certain way but thinking about it the other day I reckon the ideas are about thirty years out of date, we are now as mixed up and cosmopolitan as most other places in the south.

Blossoming Thu 05-Aug-21 14:42:34

It shouldn’t matter Newatthis but there is some ghastly snobbery and condescension around. I would have looked puzzled and asked him to explain what he meant, as you didn’t understand it, not being a convicted handbag thief.

25Avalon Thu 05-Aug-21 14:42:53

Sadly it was ever thus. There are a lot of rude ignorant people in the world wherever you go. Tell yourself it’s to try and make up for their own inferiority. Don’t forget Eleanor Roosevelt said no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

Mishy Thu 05-Aug-21 14:43:51

I was a very recent A&E intake and in the holding pen ward that night the Dr on duty told me I was chubby and that meant I was fat, I was out of it a bit and asked him how many squats he can do in 90 seconds? Yeah well I can do 36 would have been 40 by end of July and I could easily out run him, He did something else and if I could remember his name, would report him for some of the other stuff he said, but there you go... I think he had a chip on his shoulder for blond white women.

Whiff Thu 05-Aug-21 15:15:03

I used be a size 32. It has taken 4 years of changing my eating habits to get to a size 16. I go to exercise classes and am now a white 63 year old woman with number of health problems. Also live on the outskirts of Liverpool.

Years ago when I was big I was standing outside a shop with our baby daughter a man said to me what does your husband do slap your belly and ride the waves. I was a 25 new mom . Didn't know what to say. I didn't tell my husband until we got home as I had seen where the man went. My husband would have gone after him.

When I was 29 I got ill and my walking was very bad and I had to use a stick. My daughter was 5 she said to me mommy that man is looking at you as if you have no brains. To think my daughter noticed that broke my heart.

It was even worse when I was in a wheelchair. People talked to my husband and I became invisible. They asked him if I would like a drink.

Prejudice does not just apply to colour, religion or where you live. It comes in all forms. But the news and newspapers etc seen to like it's only colour and religion that count .

Redhead56 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:24:38

I am Liverpudlian I know that some people think that all Scousers are thieves. To a certain extent we are judged on our accent outside of Liverpool. I would have made an equally insulting remark back at the man who made the comment. I couldn’t let it go I have always been feisty and quite forward.

I went to stay in St Albans years ago to see friends. They took us to their sports club and some of the locals took offence to us being there. We didn’t stay long to be fair our friends tackled the few responsible for their remarks but we left and went elsewhere.

What a ridiculous way to behave when meeting someone who you don't know. It’s pure ignorance and lacking in common curtesy. I was brought up to never judge a book by its cover.

I been been subjected to prejudice from certain family members of my DH family. Because I am not the same religion or cultural back ground as my husband. Some of his family have been to funerals etc and have never spoken a word to me. It’s gone on for so long it’s like water off a ducks back to me now.

silverlining48 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:27:44

Whiff well done, That’s amazing, good fir you. WOW!

Redhead56 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:29:26

I meant courtesy sorry

silverlining48 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:33:07

Redhead I have never heard the nonsense about Liverpudlians being thieves. Some people are just ignorant.
Missy if you want to make a complaint your notes would show the name of the doctor you saw.

silverlining48 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:33:41

Mishy, auto correct , sorry.

welbeck Thu 05-Aug-21 15:39:03

OP, i think you should not return to eat at that house, or anywhere that man is present.
the host ought to have put him in his place.
i still remember years ago, a professional person, in the course of my work, made a gratuitous offensive comment, based on my surname.
it still rankles, and that i didn't challenge her, but i needed her co-operation to get a signed document.

MerylStreep Thu 05-Aug-21 15:51:35

When you live in Southend you get used to it. Water off a ducks back to me.
Some years ago a poster ( still here) made a very disparaging remark about the residents of Southend.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:57:53

Not just Southend MerylStreep Essex females have been the butt of sexist jokes for years along with the opinion that we must all be thick own white stilettos and incapable of dancing unless it’s in a circle round our handbags!!!

Floradora9 Thu 05-Aug-21 16:06:18

This is a joke sp please take it as it is intended but a true story. We went to Liverpool to visit my cousin . We parked our lovely little sporty car in the car park of his flats. Next morning it was gone . We went to the police and they knew exactly where we would find it and we did burned out and all they took was the alloy wheels . We had not even unpacked our car and lost so much stuff . I know this could happen in any city but it was so upsetting .

Allsorts Thu 05-Aug-21 16:06:21

Some people are plain rude and stupid. I think I would just ignore him after giving my Paddington stare.

Jaxjacky Thu 05-Aug-21 16:10:12

I think we all have a point at which a comment is truly offensive, the most I’ve had, based on sex, country of birth or other attributes, I bat away, or give back as good as I get. The majority are repeated joshes, so I have my own stash of replies, or maybe I’m just thick skinned.

welbeck Thu 05-Aug-21 16:10:42

Floradora, how is that a joke ? i don't get it.

eazybee Thu 05-Aug-21 16:11:15

I get jibes about being a Brummie when I say I come from the Black Country.
Point is, I have never lived nor worked in Birmingham, neither do I have an accent, which seems to annoy some people terribly.