Gransnet forums

Chat

Gender neutral pricing

(25 Posts)
Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 09:47:32

Here’s a thing. I’ve just heard my hairdressers are moving to gender neutral pricing. Basically means everyone pays the same whether male, female or neutral/fluid. The win here is the price of my haircut will drop by £15 because they’ve always charged men more! Works for me ?. Maybe there are some wins in this new world ? (joking - I know there are)

Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 09:48:02

*men pay less. Sorry ?

ElderlyPerson Wed 15-Sep-21 10:04:09

Could you possibly clarify who previously paid more please?

Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 10:14:23

Sorry. Previously men paid less, women more. And I guess gender neutral were stuck!? Now everyone will pay the same as men. I.e. the lower price. Suits everyone!

Blossoming Wed 15-Sep-21 10:22:14

Do men have the same styles, treatments, etc. as women though? Not seen many men with highlights, balayage, extensions and the like.

Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 10:39:48

I guess it’s easier for the business. How do you charge someone who doesn’t identify as male or female? I admit I don’t understand it but if it’s out there you have to work with it!

Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 10:41:26

I’m probably more surprised they haven’t put all the prices up to the same level as women instead of reducing them! Makes a refreshing change

Helen657 Wed 15-Sep-21 11:10:03

My husband wasn’t impressed when the local barber put the price for a cut up to £8 - that (followed swiftly by covid lockdown!) resulted in him investing in a pair off clippers & I now do his hair! Wonder if I can get away with charging him £30 a go like I pay?

But seriously, I can’t see many men wanting to pay the same as women in salons, so not sure how many this will inpact? I can’t actually remember the last time I saw a man at the salon I go to?

grannyactivist Wed 15-Sep-21 11:18:15

My town has four barber’s shops, and as far as I’m aware, no unisex salons, so I can’t see this happening in my town any time soon. I can understand that it might have some traction in a big city.

Polarbear2 Wed 15-Sep-21 11:19:51

Hmm. It’s a city centre salon. Lots of different people use it. I’d guess it’s almost equal male/female. Anyhow. I thought it was a good thing. Refreshingly positive. But hey. What do I know. ?‍♀️

Lucca Wed 15-Sep-21 11:22:25

But what if they put men’s prices up to women’s ?!

trisher Wed 15-Sep-21 11:28:18

I think there are men now who have their hair coloured- streaks etc when young, grey tinted out when older, who want special treatments to help moisturise or condition their hair, and if you are a woman with short hair I can see you'd be annoyed if you paid more than them. I think many salons now charge more for longer hair.
And I can see that it must be hard sometimes to tell the gender of a customer and getting it wrong might be considered offensive.
So it is probably a good idea.

welbeck Wed 15-Sep-21 13:00:45

i'm surprised in a unisex place that prices were ever differentiated by sex.
that is open to all kinds of complaints.
surely it should be simply by type of service.
also the price should be agreed before starting, as obviously there will be some variation as to type of hair and style/finish desired.
also signs that say children/boys' price must specify age.

Hetty58 Wed 15-Sep-21 13:07:24

I get my hair done in the tattoo place (can't stand the chatty girls in the hairdresser) and he's always charged equally. After all, we have the same head of hair.

NanaDH Wed 15-Sep-21 13:29:30

For years I tried to get my husbands barber to cut my hair. He said “NO, NO I am a barber not a hairdresser”.
I understand that they are two separate professional services that require different training. I think maybe we should pay by the time taken?

welbeck Wed 15-Sep-21 13:50:25

there are no standard recognised uk training or qualifications for either hairdressers or barbaers.
anyone can set up and offer these services.
obviously they have to abide by health and safety regs, but that is the so for any business activity.
whether they succeed in business will be decided by their skill at impressing and keeping customers.
i'm a bit surprised that barber refused to cut a woman' hair; i don't believe it's got anything to do with skill; maybe he wanted to reserve a male-only environment.
with that attitude, my husband would not have continued favouring him with his custom.

Nell8 Wed 15-Sep-21 14:08:48

My husband frets if a lady hairdresser comes near him. He can't stand "all those clips and things". So he favours a £15 trim at the local barber.

welbeck .... maybe he wanted to reserve a male-only environment
I think that's highly likely - and a good thing too. When my sons were under 10 I took them to an Italian barber. The chat was all about Ferraris and he always asked "Have you got a girlfriend yet?" smile

Lincslass Wed 15-Sep-21 14:41:28

Polarbear2

Here’s a thing. I’ve just heard my hairdressers are moving to gender neutral pricing. Basically means everyone pays the same whether male, female or neutral/fluid. The win here is the price of my haircut will drop by £15 because they’ve always charged men more! Works for me ?. Maybe there are some wins in this new world ? (joking - I know there are)

Or perhaps they will be charging all the higher price that women have had to pay. Otherwise can’t see how the business will survive!

FarNorth Wed 15-Sep-21 14:47:03

I expect they hope to attract more women, with the lower price.

In some towns, the barbers and hairdressers have an agreement to do only men's or only women's hair.

I definitely think the charge should depend on the service given, not on the sex of the customer.

maddyone Wed 15-Sep-21 15:33:04

Lucca

But what if they put men’s prices up to women’s ?!

There’ll be loads more men with long hair.

Deedaa Wed 15-Sep-21 15:38:17

I get my hair cut by the mobile barber who used to cut DH's hair. He charges the same price and I don't have to go out and pay for petrol, parking, and probably a sneaky cup of coffee and cake.

AmberSpyglass Wed 15-Sep-21 15:38:21

My barbers has always been gender neutral (I’ve been going for the past five years) - they charge based on hair length.

DillytheGardener Wed 15-Sep-21 15:44:01

Ex hairdresser here ,I used have straight male clients that paid extra to come and have their hair dyed after hours (too embarrassed to do it when they might be spotted as everyone knows everyone where I live).

Katie59 Wed 15-Sep-21 17:46:08

Don’t worry a basic trim will be cheaper, everything else will be extra, OH pays £10 for a 10min trim, mine takes - somewhat longer!.

Mollygo Wed 15-Sep-21 18:54:57

Dry cuts for short hair at my hairdressers are charged by time taken. Cut wash and blow is the same price for both, though I’ve only ever seen 2 men with long hair in there. I dare say if they wanted balayage it would cost the same too as there’s only one price on the list. It’s not called unisex or gender neutral, the salon name and window design just invites either men or women (and children). One DD had her wedding hair done there-amazing result.