Gransnet forums

Chat

Retiring to Glasgow

(8 Posts)
HakunaMatata Mon 29-Nov-21 13:45:34

Hi
This is a few years in the future - but I want to start to look into things..

We left Glasgow 20 years ago, and I would like to move back when all of our children have left home.

We did like the West End of Glasgow when we were young, but I think now one of the suburbs would suit better.

I think what I would like to know is which suburbs are vibrant for older age groups?
I particularly enjoy my art class, where we currently live - and I’d like to be able to continue that interest easily.

My DH enjoys hillwalking and would like to be able to reach Munro’s easily.

All ideas and opinions are really welcome. There might not be somewhere that ticks every box - but it would be a starting point.

Maybe just to know why people like the area of Glasgow that they live in would be really helpful.

Thank you x

Kim19 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:14:46

Have a look at Bearsden or Milngavie for starters.

Cherrytree59 Mon 29-Nov-21 14:53:30

As above
Also Blanefield
Strathblane
Lenzi

HakunaMatata Mon 29-Nov-21 15:48:32

Thank you

Niobe Mon 29-Nov-21 15:58:41

I lived in Bearsden for 40 plus years and agree with the suggestions by Kim and Cherrytree. Bearsden has a good supply of bungalows too so is very suitable for older people.

Marydoll Mon 29-Nov-21 16:01:49

The South side also has a vibrant scene. Quite a few Gransnetters live there/here!
You should also look at good transport links, medical facilities etc.

Marydoll Mon 29-Nov-21 16:52:04

I meant to say that the Southside has excellent links to motorways to the north and south of Scotland and Clyde coast.
We can be on the coast in just over thirty minutes.

Does it look as if I'm trying to sell it!

HakunaMatata Mon 29-Nov-21 18:00:57

@Marydoll
Thanks

That’s the info I’m looking for. I know what we think we want, but I’d like to hear from people who are living near Glasgow just now.

Anywhere you’d particularly recommend or avoid?

We are used to being near the sea just now, and do love that.