Gransnet forums

Chat

Stupid presents for grandchildren

(129 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 01-Aug-22 15:47:15

I always ask my daughters what the children would like for birthdays and Christmas. Some suggestions have not been my idea of desirable, like the £25 “designer” deodorant. The latest daft request is Lego plants, which are marked 18+ and contain hundreds of tiny pieces. Once assembled you use this plastic tat as an ornament, it can’t be taken apart and reused.
My granddaughter who will be 11 wants this rubbish, which I consider a complete waste of money.
I’ve ordered it but very reluctantly. The old Lego gave years of fun.

Georgesgran Mon 01-Aug-22 15:56:05

Surely it’s only you who think the presents are stupid, if that’s what the children have actually asked for and want.. I think it’s great to be ‘told’ what to get, as it saves an expensive mistake that will not be appreciated or used and probably ends up being donated or passed on.

I think it’s never a waste of money to get my DGS what they want, if I can afford it. They’ve years ahead of them to request ‘sensible’ stuff.

Elizabeth27 Mon 01-Aug-22 15:57:10

I always think presents should be frivolous things that you would not buy yourself.

A lot of what children want is considered rubbish and you know when played with once will be discarded. I like to give children money, they soon learn when something is an item they just want to have a go on rather than something they want to spend all their money on and keep.

Kate1949 Mon 01-Aug-22 15:57:30

We've always bought ours what she asked for, money permitting. It's up to her what she has.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Aug-22 15:59:13

watermeadow I have given Lego flowers, plants and bonsai as gifts and watched them being assembled. They are quiet beautiful, and can definitely be dissembled and remade multiple times.

It’s a joy giving a gift that’s much wanted and appreciated by the recipient.

welbeck Mon 01-Aug-22 17:09:56

why not just give them the money, then you don't have to get involved in any tat.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Aug-22 17:13:04

Better to buy things they'll use, than things you think they should prefer.
I bought mine all sorts of educational stuff, but they remained unused.
Lesson learned.

Kate1949 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:21:08

Our granddaughter asked for a lipstick for £27. As someone who buys them from Poundland, I was horrified but it was what she wanted so we got it.

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:26:38

I suppose I’ve bought my fair share of strange presents over the years, I remember a phase when the three youngest were mad on Bear Factory, once you’ve made your bear, complete with beating heart, you have to dress it and accessorise it.
Once they have had the fun of doing that, they don’t really have any interest in them,
But much better than me buying something they don’t like

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:27:21

Not me, them

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:28:05

Ok so I was right the first time

sodapop Mon 01-Aug-22 17:29:08

Seems pointless asking what they would like if you are not buying it for them.
I agree with Elizabeth27 about the pleasure of frivolous gifts.

Doodledog Mon 01-Aug-22 17:35:11

I always think presents should be frivolous things that you would not buy yourself.

I agree. If they are too young to have much money of their own it can be the only chance they get to have something like that, and if they are older and more sensible then birthdays are an opportunity to get something they want, rather than need.

I still like to get over-priced notebooks and fancy bath oils for presents, and if I send money to my children I send instructions for them to spend it on something frivolous, as they usually spend their money on sensible things.

Life is short - if someone is going to get pleasure from a Lego plant, their birthday is the very time to do it.

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:38:39

Sara1954

I suppose I’ve bought my fair share of strange presents over the years, I remember a phase when the three youngest were mad on Bear Factory, once you’ve made your bear, complete with beating heart, you have to dress it and accessorise it.
Once they have had the fun of doing that, they don’t really have any interest in them,
But much better than me buying something they don’t like

The thing made at The Bear Factory (not a bear, another creature) gets carted everywhere - even though she's too old for it in my never-to-be-expressed opinion!

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:39:26

Off to look up Lego plant!
I might want one

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:41:13

I want an orchid! At least I wouldn't kill it ?

Hithere Mon 01-Aug-22 17:43:23

Watermeadow

When you ask a question, you have to be ready to get answers you do not agree with

I thought gift giving was also done for the happiness and pleasure of the receiver, not only the giver

If you do not like the options given, giftcards are usually very well received

I hope your gc and daughter are not aware of the disdain you hold for their choices, a very unpleasant attitude you hold

Redhead56 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:44:03

I only buy what is suggested otherwise it’s an unwanted gift and a waste of money.

aggie Mon 01-Aug-22 17:52:21

Lego plants ! Brilliant ! Going to get a set for eldest Daughter ? aged 50 + , she’s hard to buy for , thanks for posting this xxx

Callistemon21 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:54:32

Redhead56

I only buy what is suggested otherwise it’s an unwanted gift and a waste of money.

And might get recycled.

In which case you can't get upset; as DH says, once you've given something it doesn't belong to you any more, the recipient can do with it as they wish.

VioletSky Mon 01-Aug-22 17:55:03

Birthday presents are supposed to be treats people wouldn't normally buy for themselves or get to own otherwise...

That's what makes them special amd exciting

Concentrate on their happy faces not whether you like what you are giving

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 17:57:19

Callistemon
I’m very happy to hear that, to be fair, the youngest one had a well known character from paw patrol, which he loved, but the girls just lined them up with all the other soft toys, never to be played with again.

I don’t really mind, a gift is a gift, as long as it gives pleasure, that’s fine with me.

Mine Mon 01-Aug-22 17:59:45

Maybe next time don't ask and just give money or a high street voucher with the amount you can afford...That way the GC can buy what they want...

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 18:02:17

My mother was terrible, she would ask the children what they would like, we had to give it a lot of thought, because there was no flexibility in her budget.
Then she would just say, oh you don’t want that, what about this?
She would drag them all over town looking at things she liked, she took any joy out of it.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Aug-22 18:03:03

My grandson who lives in NZ and I don’t know his likes and dislikes bought a Lego old fashioned typewriter for his 21 st It looked so real I couldn’t believe it wasn’t I think it cost most of the money I sent him
I ve bought some highly overpriced make up stuff for my various granddaughters stuff I would t touch with a barge pole

Surely it’s about making the recipient happynot judgement on their choices

Sorry watermedow I think you’re wrong on this occasion