Gransnet forums

Chat

Linen towel rollers in public toilets.

(14 Posts)
Grannynannywanny Wed 10-Aug-22 18:03:11

I used the toilet facilities in a large dept store today. After washing my hands I was surprised to see 3 linen towel rollers for hand drying. No evidence of the usual electric hand dryers or paper towels. No electricity needed and no paper wasted so that has to be a bonus.

However, I was surprised to see the towel rollers as I haven’t come across one in years. Maybe they are commonplace now and I need to get out more. What are your thoughts from a hygiene point of view? There were 3 of them spaced round the walls. The first one I approached the previous customer hadn’t pulled it down to expose a clean dry area of towel ready for the next person. So, no way of using it without handling where they had dried their hands.

Septimia Wed 10-Aug-22 18:08:35

Presumably the previous customer had no experience of how they work. I hope that's the reason for not pulling the towel down.

Used properly, they should be sufficiently hygienic and, of course, any hands being dried ought to be clean...

Georgesgran Wed 10-Aug-22 18:15:21

John Lewis in Newcastle use them too - at least last time I was in a couple of months ago.

Grannynannywanny Wed 10-Aug-22 18:16:23

Yes it was a John Lewis store Georgesgran

wildswan16 Wed 10-Aug-22 18:40:21

I would much prefer this kind of towel. The air dryers just blow stuff around and are often far too "blowy". The paper towels manage to get dropped everywhere and make a mess.

Maybe the towels need a notice on them? "Please pull down after use" or some such. Much better environmentally I would have thought as well.

mokryna Wed 10-Aug-22 18:49:44

I thought they were forbidden in schools because accidents may happen.

JenniferEccles Wed 10-Aug-22 18:50:08

I remember them at school!

Grannynannywanny Wed 10-Aug-22 20:51:59

JenniferEccles
I remember them at school!

You’ve just jogged my memory..soggy towels, Izal toilet paper and the aroma of pink carbolic soap !

Wheniwasyourage Wed 10-Aug-22 21:37:59

I prefer them not to be pulled down by the last person, as then I know which bit has been used and which hasn't. I pull the next bit down using the edge, which is usually unused anyway. If it was dirty in any way (very unusual), I would have the option of pulling it down, rewashing and drying on the bit I know hasn't been used.

Golddustwoman Wed 10-Aug-22 21:47:44

They arent hygienic but they bring back lovely memories of going to the pictures in the 1970s

ElaineI Wed 10-Aug-22 22:44:52

Surprised they are allowed since the pandemic. As an infection control nurse before retiral, I was taught paper hand towels used then disposed of was the best way of avoiding contamination. Blowy ones can blow bacteria and organisms back in your face, not necessarily your own. Towel ones absolutely no unless each person has a fresh towel. DGC age 4 and 5 are scared of the blowy ones.

JackyB Thu 11-Aug-22 06:57:48

I don't see how they are unhygienic. Each person uses a new bit of the towel that has been rolled up inside the box. The towels are always white and freshly washed.

grandMattie Thu 11-Aug-22 07:04:49

They are not hygienic because as soon as they become damp, they are a perfect medium for bacterial growth…. This is why I let washing up drain dry, or, if I do use a tea towel, it’s a clean one each time I wash up.

Calendargirl Thu 11-Aug-22 07:10:53

Paper hand towels might be the best way to avoid contamination, but that’s why we have so much rubbish nowadays, so much that used to be washed and re-used i.e. the roller towels, were replaced by disposable alternatives.

We didn’t all keel over after drying our hands at school did we?

The little individual sachets of sauces and condiments, little foil wraps of butter and spreads, individual glass jars containing jams, honey, marmalade,(often half the contents wasted), tiny one teaspoon sachets of sugar and sweeteners in cafes, restaurants, guest houses, all come to mind.

Mountains of ‘stuff’ to get rid of.

I have digressed.