Gransnet forums

Chat

General Strike Action

(10 Posts)
Bea65 Thu 18-Aug-22 10:13:18

Mick Lynch is saying he doesn’t want to cause misery for everyone but the Government/Corporate Britain is not treating the ordinary British workers to a decent wage.. he’s a powerful speaker what do GNs think

welbeck Thu 18-Aug-22 10:22:24

he's right

Mollygo Thu 18-Aug-22 10:32:07

Just had a letter from my teaching union about the below inflation pay rise, unfunded so it will have to come out if the existing budget. They are canvassing opinion on whether, if they get no appropriate response from the government, we should strike.

MaizieD Thu 18-Aug-22 10:33:07

I think he's right, too.

Data on percentage pay increases over the past few years are badly skewed by very high pay in the financial services sector and very large bonuses. When they are stripped out the 'average' workers have mostly had a real terms drop in pay when inflation is taken into account. And that is even before the current rise in inflation.

And the current high inflation has been caused by supply problems and Brexit, not by wage increases.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Aug-22 10:38:56

I think he's right too.
And yes, teachers should be striking Molly if nothing better transpires.

If everyone just "worked to rule" the country would grind to a halt anyway.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Aug-22 10:40:31

I hope someone gets the message out though that people are not paid if they are on strike.

So many of the general public think they are paid it seems to me.

Ilovecheese Thu 18-Aug-22 10:59:38

I think he is right. We are allowing our public services to be downgraded and our economy to stall and ourselves taken for fools.
We need more money to circulate and we need better services.

Happygirl79 Thu 18-Aug-22 11:30:26

I agree with him too. This government don't even deserve the title of "government "

Anniebach Thu 18-Aug-22 11:36:58

The general strike 1926 lasted 9 days, two weeks wages lost

Mapleleaf Thu 18-Aug-22 12:17:25

I agree, NotSpaghetti. Strikers are not paid their wage and neither are their pension contributions paid.