Gransnet forums

Chat

A sad bunch of Birthday Flowers

(30 Posts)
MeowWow Sat 28-Jan-23 17:35:15

My lovely sister sent me a bunch of flowers from a very well known retailer. They cost £25 and we’re advertised as a “rainbow Alstroemerias bouquet”. What I received was a limp bunch of leaves with only burgundy Alstoemerias that looked really drab and forlorn. They have been in water for three days now and they still look drab. It’s the first time I’ve ever received flowers that are not cheerful and they certainly didn’t brighten up my day. Fortunately the retailer refunded the cost of the flowers to my sister after I encouraged her to complain.

JaneJudge Sat 28-Jan-23 17:38:13

they do look sad sad

happy birthday?

Septimia Sat 28-Jan-23 17:40:59

DH often buys me alstroemeria. The buds soon open and they buck up no end. If I mix them with, e.g. roses, and cut them to the same length, the alstroemeria are soon raising their heads above the roses. Mind you, the bunches DH buys me cost £3...

TillyTrotter Sat 28-Jan-23 17:43:44

What a letdown Meow .
Always best to tell the gift sender and the retailer and usually a swift refund follows.
You can choose a healthy vase of Alstromeria from a local shop hopefully to make up.

crazyH Sat 28-Jan-23 17:46:55

I really don’t want to rub salt into your wound, but, I was given a bouquet on 18th Dec (Sainsbury’s) and some of them have lasted until a couple of days ago. Honest !

crazyH Sat 28-Jan-23 17:48:16

And, Happy Birthday !

J52 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:51:49

Have you tried cutting the stems and removing some of the lower leaves. An aspirin in the water might help.
They are a woeful bunch for £25.
Hope you had a happy birthday.

Peartree Sat 28-Jan-23 18:08:19

Were they those letter box flowers? Ive had them sent to me before and they look half dead and didnt revive after a couple of days in water. Waste of money.

Fleurpepper Sat 28-Jan-23 18:11:01

So good that you complained. I think some florists chance it- knowing that most of us won't complain as we don't want to upset the very kind people who spent good money out of care and kindness.

Personally, I would have complained directly to the Florist Company, with photos and the name and location of person who ordered them- and get them to make amends. And thank the person who sent them for the wonderful bouquet.

avitorl Sat 28-Jan-23 18:27:51

My heart sinks when I receive flowers through the post or delivered via large retailers because I have always been disappointed with them. I always complain and my friends are refunded for them. I usually also get a replacement bouquet which,amazingly,is much fresher!

Grannyben Sat 28-Jan-23 19:01:28

My daughter has sent me Moonpig flowers on a number of occasions. They are always a bunch of half dead twigs with the odd flower chucked in.
Last year she sent me a Cornish clotted cream tea instead. It was absolutely gorgeous and I'm soon going to be dropping hints for one this year

Chardy Sat 28-Jan-23 19:02:32

I complained to M&S about a bouquet I was sent (arrived several days late), I got a fresh bouquet, and sender got their money back.

Yammy Sat 28-Jan-23 19:07:57

Happy Birthday,I have had half-dead letter box flowers as well I didn't want to hurt the sender so fudged when asked what they were like. DH gave the DDs the name of a local florist that is reasonable and good so they use that.flowers

ExDancer Sat 28-Jan-23 19:34:14

Have you contacted the seller? You obviously know the name of the firm and how much they cost - so if not ...... why not?

Oreo Sat 28-Jan-23 19:43:13

J52

Have you tried cutting the stems and removing some of the lower leaves. An aspirin in the water might help.
They are a woeful bunch for £25.
Hope you had a happy birthday.

This
😄
Happy Birthday 💐

Ziplok Sat 28-Jan-23 21:58:53

Well, despite your disappointment with the flowers (and I agree, they do look like just a bunch of leaves, and I’m glad that your sister has complained), I hope you had a happy birthday 🎂🎉.
I sincerely hope that the company who sent those reimburse your sister, and send you a new, properly flowering bouquet of alstroemerias to compensate.

Pumpkin82 Sat 28-Jan-23 23:22:05

This looks and sounds like the same one I’ve had from M&S. mine are lovely though. Definitely try and complain again, the range of colours alone is poor! I’ve got reds, whites, yellows, oranges.

Arena flowers are always beautiful I find. To send and receive I’ve never had a problem.

vegansrock Sun 29-Jan-23 04:33:07

Freddie’s Flowers are usually good. Ours are delivered on a bike.

Rosie51 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:22:51

I understood Freddie's Flowers only do one off deliveries to a third party if the sender has a subscription delivery for themselves?

silverlining48 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:28:31

Disappointing, Are they M&S? Glad they refunded.
Happy birthday to you flowers

BlueBelle Sun 29-Jan-23 10:04:25

They look like some I send my daughter from Bloom and wild …dismal
Recently had some roses sent me from MandS and they really were glorious and still are

Witzend Sun 29-Jan-23 10:19:04

I’m glad a complaint was made and your sister got a refund. Such things do need to be reported.

A year or two ago a dd sent me a planted basket of spring flowers for my birthday. Although lovely, it had evidently been very roughly handled (despite Keep Upright labelling) because much of it was tipped right out of the basket - I had to re-plant.

I did tell dd - she complained and they sent a duplicate - which I gave to her at my next visit. So well worth a moan!

MeowWow Sun 29-Jan-23 10:35:34

Thank you all for your comments and birthday wishes 🥰

Luckygirl3 Sun 29-Jan-23 10:49:21

I call alstroemeria "garage flowers". They are horrid.

TillyTrotter Sun 29-Jan-23 12:12:22

Oww *Luckygirl” they are my sister’s favourite flowers and I have often bought her a bunch of multi-coloured ones. They always look lovely when fully out and last for 2 weeks plus.