Gransnet forums

Chat

Local waste tip and recycling centre

(27 Posts)
AskAlice Tue 30-May-23 11:06:07

Our local "tip" (for want of a better word) was recently complete renovated and is now much more efficent, clean and easy to use. So much so that they have recently introduced a rule that you have to show ID to prove that you are living in the vicinity in order to use it, as apparently people have been travelling from far and wide to get rid of unwanted rubbish. I have no problem with that, but they also have a "recycling shop" where goods that are able to be sold are stored and anyone can buy things there, i.e. re-vamped bicycles for their children, garden equipment, furniture and toys.

It appears that now, before the recycling centre opens in the morning, there are huge queues of vans lining up outside (obviously traders) and the swoop in and buy up huge amounts of goods to sell on. One morning when my SIL was there to try to buy a bicycle for my young GS (they are on a tight budget, like many young families today), a trader managed to get in before them and bought EVERY bike that was there, about 12 in total, leaving nothing for anyone else. The same thing happened to a friend of mine who was there getting rid of some old furniture and popped in to the centre to buy a garden table - the manager of the centre said they had had several complete sets of garden furniture earlier in the day but a trader had come in and loaded up every stick of it so there was nothing left.

Do you think that this is acceptable - should there be a limit on what people can buy from recycling centres? Personally, I think professional traders should not be able to profit in this way.

tanith Tue 30-May-23 11:08:16

No that's disgusting greedy devils for their own profit. I'd be spitting feather

infoman Tue 30-May-23 11:09:18

May I ask if this recycling centre is in South Bristol?

karmalady Tue 30-May-23 11:09:53

yes it is acceptable. These items were put there for recycling and they will likely be done up, possibly maintained and then re-used. Good initiative on all sides

If you need items, ask via freecycle or your local FB page

Norah Tue 30-May-23 11:15:41

karmalady

yes it is acceptable. These items were put there for recycling and they will likely be done up, possibly maintained and then re-used. Good initiative on all sides

If you need items, ask via freecycle or your local FB page

Agreed. Recycling is recycling.

Theexwife Tue 30-May-23 11:36:00

It sounds fair to me, whoever gets there first gets the pick of the stuff.

The traders that are re-selling are making a living out of the situation, good on them.

AskAlice Tue 30-May-23 11:50:54

infoman, no, the centre is in Hertfordshire.

AskAlice Tue 30-May-23 11:58:09

I agree to some extent that "recycling is recycling" but surely there could be some balance? Maybe specific times for traders, after the general public have been able to buy what they want/need? In the case of my SIL and GS, 6 year old GS was literally pushed out of the way by the trader as he was looking at the bike he wanted while his dad was looking at another bike, and the trader claimed the whole lot! SIL was not impressed and tried to intervene but the whole situation had a rather nasty atmosphere and he didn't want GS frightened by a heated argument over it. The Manager was not on the spot so had to go along with the trader's word that he had got there first...

Witzend Tue 30-May-23 15:18:08

AskAlice, my dd gets her 3 children’s bikes - very good ones - and sells any outgrown ones - via Facebook Marketplace/ Gumtree and the like.

Witzend Tue 30-May-23 15:19:11

Very good 2nd hand ones I meant, in case it wasn’t clear.

AskAlice Tue 30-May-23 18:39:18

Witzend*, my SIL has bought several things from Facebook Marketplace but on this occasion there was nothing that looked the right size/age for GS and he was making a trip to the waste disposal site anyway. I agree that Marketplace is a good way to recycle, I wish it had been around when my two outgrew their games/toys and clothes!

Tenko Tue 30-May-23 19:22:38

I’d rather they recycle than flytip

Calipso Tue 30-May-23 19:52:28

If you are looking for something specific, why not have a word with the manager and see if they would put one on one side for you? Our Revive centre is an absolute treasure trove and generally the staff are enormously helpful. The proceeds go to support homeless charities and a brisk turnover is essential.

MerylStreep Tue 30-May-23 20:03:00

We have lots of dealers come into our charity shop.
We put a price on goods, they pay, job done.
Local tips are a business.

Norah Tue 30-May-23 21:23:16

Theexwife

It sounds fair to me, whoever gets there first gets the pick of the stuff.

The traders that are re-selling are making a living out of the situation, good on them.

Indeed.

I've no problem with dealer buying (legally) or picking up on freecycle - wherever they wish, then re-sell at profit at FBmarket or boot sale.

Allsorts Tue 30-May-23 21:25:25

Why are they allowing traders to do that, I will think twice now do what I used to do, donate to a charity.

biglouis Tue 30-May-23 23:45:36

A few weeks ago I logged into an online auction and bought every lot of a particular type. I too am a trader so by your reckoning that was unfair because I didnt leave anything for someone else. I think its an case of the early bird catches the worm.

If someone walks into a shop, flashes cash, and says "I will take all that you have" the shop owner is not going to say "well you have to leave some for others". How is s/he to be sure that others will come in to buy?

Its just business.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 01-Jun-23 11:17:01

Our local centre's shop would have closed long ago, if it were not for the traders and the long-distance drivers from poor countries buying things there, as a town of 4.000 people is n ot large enough to support it.

The important thing is not who buys the recycable stuff, but that it is bought and not either polluting our environment by lying rotting or rusting somewhere, or increasing the number of new things made, thus contributing to the vicious circle of over-use and destruction of the earth's resources.

Your son-in law could ask one of the workers if they could reserve the next suitable child's bike for him. If this is not possible, someone will need to be at the head of the queue on his behalf.

Grantanow Thu 01-Jun-23 11:47:06

Get up earlier in the morning.

janipans Thu 01-Jun-23 12:15:12

I live in Herts and not sure if this is the same "tip" but it sounds similar. The one I use is entitled a" Recycling Centre" and there is a charity shop adjoining which stores rescued/resaleable goods (lots of bikes). I agree however that the shop is a business and if someone takes a whole lot of an item well good for them and good for the charity. No doubt they will get more bikes in because people know it takes them- (in fact I have 2 adult bikes in my garage I keep meaning to take there). A prospective buyer will just have to keep trying, or, as others say, put a request on a local facebook or social media site.
Good luck to your SIL with the search though and hats off to him for at least trying to recycle.

4allweknow Thu 01-Jun-23 12:35:04

Anyone with a van/trailer/pickup shoukd have to book a time slot to get into the recycling centre whether actually unloading rubbish or looking for a bargain. They could be spread over the opening time hopefully giving people at least a chance of an opportunity to find a bargain.

Rainnsnow Thu 01-Jun-23 12:44:14

I hope you find what u are looking for. I wasn’t brought up to take everything from a shop . It’s bad manners and greedy. I understand people have businesses but it still needs to be fair. Lots of people are struggling to afford things, being fairly treated is a small ask .

RakshaMK Thu 01-Jun-23 12:53:58

It's reusing, not recycling, and by far the greenest way to dispose of something.
But, morally, I would rather offer something on Freecycle that take it where traders are going to do that

choughdancer Thu 01-Jun-23 13:04:33

Allsorts

Why are they allowing traders to do that, I will think twice now do what I used to do, donate to a charity.

I can't see that it makes any difference who buys it if the traders pay the full price; the charity still benefits from the money.

biglouis Thu 01-Jun-23 13:17:42

If someone wants to buy every widget in one of my shops Im happy to sell them the lot. Easier to sell a batch to one trader than half a dozen (all of which need to be packaged) to 6 different customers.

However I do keep things reserved for regular customers for whom I have wish lists. Sometimes special items dont even make it into my shops as I offer them direct to a particular customer first. Traders like to keep their stock moving and these recycling shops are operating as a business.