Gransnet forums

Chat

Jerusalem

(41 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 29-Mar-24 09:36:36

Listening to the Classic FM Hall Of Fame 2024.

‘Jerusalem’ is number 297.

Just hearing the music and words takes me back to assemblies in my grammar school hall, nigh on 60 years ago. The headmaster would announce ‘Hymn number 446, Jerusalem’, the organist seemed to play it with extra oomph, and the whole school, callow, spotty youths and aloof, bored looking girls would suddenly transform into choirs of angels (well, not quite), singing their hearts out to this hymn.

Definitely a huge favourite.

‘Bow of burning gold’, ‘arrows of desire’, ‘chariot of fire’.

What visions these words conjured up.

Still sends shivers down my spine whenever I hear it.

Calendargirl Fri 29-Mar-24 09:38:18

P.S. Should probably have put ‘Jerusalem, the Hymn’ in the title.

hmm

Aveline Fri 29-Mar-24 09:43:17

I hated loathed and despised 'Jerusalem'. What a foolish song. When we had to sing it at school after the line, 'and did those feet etc..?' I always shouted, 'No. Don't be ridiculous!'

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 29-Mar-24 09:46:38

I have always enjoyed Jerusalem and it still gives me goosebumps.

Georgesgran Fri 29-Mar-24 09:48:48

Another fan of Jerusalem here. It’s one of few anthems I know by heart.

JudyBloom Fri 29-Mar-24 09:48:49

'Jerusalem' - ah one of the best hymns.

Kittye Fri 29-Mar-24 09:58:54

One of my favourites

Caleo Fri 29-Mar-24 09:59:31

William Blake is not one of the easiest poets to make sense of. People who just feel the symbolism as if by instinct understand Jerusalem at the most important level

Aveline Fri 29-Mar-24 10:01:50

I'm sure you all just like singing along to a rousing tune. Would you still sing it to different music? Somehow I doubt it.

loopyloo Fri 29-Mar-24 10:07:46

The hymn is a question which makes it powerful.
No he probably didn't or he might have done. But we can still do something about the dark satanic mills....

Caleo Fri 29-Mar-24 10:09:54

PS / GSD gets "goosebumps "is the sort of appreciator I refer to. She did not need formal teaching,

Aveline would probably be okay with Jesusalem if she had been taught the complicated symbolism that Blake used. I was more like Aveline---sceptical and unwilling to approve of words that seemed to make no sense, although I liked the tune and all singing together.

Iam64 Fri 29-Mar-24 10:12:24

Jerusalem is a favourite in our family. It’s the anthem of Gtr Manchester CID. Hearing it sung at my fathers funeral by family, friends and former colleagues in the police force is something I’ll never forget

zakouma66 Fri 29-Mar-24 10:18:15

I often think of hymns.

Ransomed , healed, restored, forgiven.

Immortal , invisible, God only wise

I don't know why, a nostalgic feeling. A time gone by.

Callistemon21 Fri 29-Mar-24 10:54:20

Aveline

I hated loathed and despised 'Jerusalem'. What a foolish song. When we had to sing it at school after the line, 'and did those feet etc..?' I always shouted, 'No. Don't be ridiculous!'

As far as I'm concerned, the jury's out on that one 🙂
There is a possibility.

P.S. Should probably have put ‘Jerusalem, the Hymn’ in the title I must admit, my first thought was that something terrible had happened there today, Calendargirl.

Summerfly Fri 29-Mar-24 10:54:36

I love the beginning of Jerusalem.
Last night as I lay sleeping, there came a dream so rare, I stood in old Jerusalem beside the temple there, Alone a boy was singing and ever as he sang, me thought the voice of angels from heaven in answer rang.
Me thought the voice of angels from heaven in answer rang…….

Esmay Fri 29-Mar-24 10:59:52

Jerusalem is one of my favourite hymns .

It's beautiful .

I understand from my musical friends that it's written in D major - all I know is we really struggle to sing it in church and we don't very often !

Glorianny Fri 29-Mar-24 11:07:40

Just brings memories of the Deputy Head- a rather eccentric figure who strode around the school in his black gown-peering at us over his glasses and announcing. "If you knew the real meaning of those words perhaps you wouldn't sing with such enthusiasm." None of us knew anything about Blake of course.

eazybee Fri 29-Mar-24 11:24:40

I always enjoyed singing Jerusalem at school and church and Last Night of the Proms.
Many years later I also enjoyed singing Richard Stilgoe's version incorporated in the Calendar Girls 'Hi, we're the W.I.'

Aveline Fri 29-Mar-24 11:27:19

I certainly don't need to be 'taught complicated symbolism' and deeply resent that anyone would think I did.
Signed Dr Aveline.

Mel1967 Fri 29-Mar-24 11:28:25

What a great hymn.
It was sung at our wedding - in Church - many years ago
Would it be allowed now??

SueDoku Fri 29-Mar-24 11:29:56

An interesting take on it here:
www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/culture/39697/almost-everything-you-know-about-the-hymn-jerusalem-is-wrong#:~:text=Misunderstandings%20of%20the%20poem%20have,who%20grinds%20down%20human%20souls.

Grandmabatty Fri 29-Mar-24 11:31:56

I'm a big fan of Jerusalem. I love Blake's use of language and it fits the music perfectly in my opinion. The forcefulness of 'Bring me my bow of burning gold', not to mention the use of alliteration and metaphor throughout. Lovely.

Clawdy Fri 29-Mar-24 12:33:28

It was the hymn we picked for my dad's funeral many years ago. He wasn't religious, but he was a keen Labour supporter, and at the time Jerusalem was sung at the Labour Party conferences. It was so uplifting that day.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 29-Mar-24 12:44:47

Aveline

I don't hate it - but have always found it completely ridiculous.

paddyann54 Fri 29-Mar-24 13:48:57

Oh dear Aveline twice in one week we've agreed on something !Find the lyrics of this "hymn" ridiculous ,not that it was sung in our schools in the 60's.