Gransnet forums

Chat

Cat among the Pigeons? Not quite. (a light hearted post)

(4 Posts)
Aely Wed 07-Oct-26 17:04:08

I glanced out my bedroom window yesterday while I was getting dressed and spotted a neighbour's cat on the school field at the back of my house. Nothing unusual about that, but he had what appeared to be his fan club with him. Magpies! Puss was enjoying himself rolling on the ground and giving himself a thorough tongue bath while closely surrounded and watched by about a dozen of the birds.

They seemed fascinated. I had no idea we had that many Magpies in the area but they just kept arriving. I thought maybe it was a cunning plan - attract the birds and then pounce, but no. Once he was satisfied he was bug free and clean he got up and wandered off, with a train of birds following him, one nearly treading on his tail.

I've never seen anything like it before!

crazyH Wed 07-Oct-26 17:11:13

That’s a lovely little story 😍

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 17:18:17

I have seen a similar thing when staying with friends in the country, in fact I couldn’t quite believe my eyes.
Their cat, a large specimen, walked slowly out of their garden and into the field behind closely followed by a line of half a dozen pheasants, then just minutes later returned, the birds still following him.He simply ignored them.
Very strange indeed, but there must be some reason for this behaviour.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 17:21:02

Very sweet and very funny and mysterious! flowers