Gransnet forums

Classics

Over 50? Here's what you're not allowed to do.

(104 Posts)
forgetful Thu 02-May-19 13:58:37

According to this charming gentleman, over 50s should not use emojis, be on Twitter, wear daring clothing (a la Helena Christensen in her bustier top the other day) or admit to having sex. Really?! Tell me not to do something and it's only going to make me want to do it more. Might be setting up a Twitter account in a moment so I can brag about my sex life using some risqué emojis just to spite him. angry

Alioop Sun 05-Jun-22 17:31:48

I'm 56, divorced and do whatever I want. No one to tell me off or give me 'the look' anymore if I get on daft. It's fabulous!

Lilyflower Sun 05-Jun-22 17:03:11

Giving up higher heels was a pleasure.

bongobil Sun 05-Jun-22 15:19:58

Sounds like my ex husband although I wasn't over 50 when we divorced but thought he could tell me what I could and could not do!

sandelf Sun 05-Jun-22 15:04:38

Eee ah did laugh. Great ain't it 'ow men like t tell us old dears what t do. However should I meet anyone attempting to tell me what to wear, do, look like - he'd only do it once.

Musicgirl Sun 05-Jun-22 14:38:33

I have embraced my colourful Red or Dead shoes with pride. I am going to wear what I like and do and say what I like and not be dictated to about what l should or shouldn’t do, wear or say by someone who is old enough to know better and obviously too young to know when to keep his mouth shut.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 05-Jun-22 14:07:04

My philosophy on this is reflected in my username.

Shill29 Sun 05-Jun-22 13:59:50

??

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Sun 05-Jun-22 13:56:47

I read it as a bit tongue in cheek saying that those of us over 50 have actually got it right and at 37 they were jealous. If I coukd get away with a bustier I certainly would (actually I do wear a basque now and then but that's for "special occasions" which I'm not supposed to have either ??) lol

Treetops05 Sun 05-Jun-22 13:23:34

After reading the article I thought some of his points misinterpreted and others valid...as well as some 30 something twaddle

Nannashirlz Sun 05-Jun-22 13:05:13

Lol that’s me out then oh wait a minute I’m already doing these things ? if you don’t do what you not supposed to do how can you regret anything,then you ain’t lived your life to the full.

lizzypopbottle Sun 05-Jun-22 12:57:51

Actually, if you click the hyperlink to the article and actually read it, you'll find Ben Machell's article is written very much tongue in cheek. It was a woman, former British Vogue editor Alexandra Shulman who described Helena Christiansen as 'silly' for wearing a bustier and compared her to a one horse town Madam!

garnet25 Sun 05-Jun-22 12:25:36

Thank you "Lucca" I was just about to post that he was writing ironically. I suppose when people could not read the full article it was harder to spot.

SueEH Sun 05-Jun-22 12:13:01

My cousin is 60 this year and her husband told her that this is the last year she can wear a bikini.
I’m 62 this year and have just packed mine ?

simiisme Sun 05-Jun-22 11:57:14

I'm 55.
Last night I attended a Viking themed fancy dress party. Yes, I had a fake beard and long wig. Got in at 2:45 a.m.
Everything hurts, but much fun was had.

kittypaws49 Sun 05-Jun-22 11:56:00

Yes, but, reading another post on how many of us now fart uncontrollably in public, maybe going without knickers is unwise ? Nothing to filter the blasts !

Tusue Sun 05-Jun-22 11:35:07

I too,no longer care what other people think about me , I’m 60 and plan to do my own thing when and how I want ?

jenpax Sun 05-Jun-22 11:25:00

“I was told once to live long enough to be an embarrassment to your children - I am doing my best honest” Avor2
I was an embarrassment to my 3 from their teen years onward? they are in their 30’s now!
I dont give a stuff what this bloke says! I will do just as I please and sod the disapproval?

GrammarGrandma Sun 05-Jun-22 11:17:30

I don't want to use emojis but not because I am old.

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 03:42:31

**Is not allowed.
(Oh gosh, it's one of those days).

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 03:41:37

**Haven't even attempted.

Ali08 Tue 22-Feb-22 03:41:10

Well I guess I could say I'm not allowed to drive.
But thats only because I have even attempted to, so have never had any tests!
The rest, well that 'gentleman' I'd not allowed to tell me what I can or can't do, so there!! Lol

Nannashirlz Wed 05-Jan-22 16:56:24

My dad always said live everyday like it’s your last and do something different every day and sod what anyone else thinks. I’ve lived that way since. Soz if you upset by the word lol

Puzzled Sun 12-Sep-21 08:46:32

What over 50s wear, go or do is entirely upto them, their desires and circumstances.
No one should tell us what we should or should not be doing.
What seems ridiculous to one may be quite normal for another.
One's extravagance may be another's "normal"
What we enjoy might quite abhorrent to someone else.
As long as your actions do not hurt or disturb anyone else, and you enjoy it, carry on.

"Walk a mile in the other person's shoes" is a good maxim.

Gabrielle56 Wed 07-Jul-21 11:59:41

I see some boutiques(more like trashy corner shops than proper boutiques) with signs in windows saying " if you're older than 30 and bigger than size12 don't bother coming in". Actually should read " don't bother coming in anyway, it's all overpriced crap" it's now gone! Says it all really.... Im 65 and probably 3-4 times the woman I was at 50 ! Arthritis and other major surgery has decked me in the physique department ,size18 /20 from 12/14 but- I still dress with class, razor sharp style and look effortlessly chic (no granny twinsets unless pure cashmere and Ferrari red) and decades of practice means my makeup is the envy of much younger gals who struggle with false..... everything! And my false tan application is 100% undetectable, everyone thinks I tan really easily and have exotic hols! I really don't give a flying what others think, never have. It's my life my rules!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:14:38

Yep, another one here, Do what I want within reason, certainly don’t have to answer to anyone, I’m my own person