Gransnet forums

Competitions

Bach flower "remedies"

(18 Posts)
JessM Tue 17-Jul-12 07:13:55

Gripe water (for babies) too was full of alcohol wasn't it. Do you remember it getting withdrawn?

Bags Tue 17-Jul-12 06:42:39

As far as I'm concerned, all eating is comfort eating because hunger is uncomfortable.

susiecb Tue 17-Jul-12 03:09:59

I think a bit of chocolate would do you more good but too much would be comfort eating which would be bad, wouldn't it?

Annobel Mon 16-Jul-12 21:36:00

My mother used to use that con trick, jeni. It didn't work on me.
What about all those 'tonics' that used to be fashionable? In Kenya Bayer's Tonic was highly thought of. The teetotallers on our staff were a little put out when they discovered that this panacea was full of sherry! The rest of us found a cheaper way of drinking.

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 21:24:14

How about
Every day, in every way, I'm getting better and better.

Is about on a par with

I think, therefore I am!

hmm

gracesmum Mon 16-Jul-12 21:23:01

Two drops of alcohol - well what good is that going to do?!!

crimson Mon 16-Jul-12 20:33:51

...and there was a mantra with it, but can't remember what it was grin!

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 19:55:56

mmmmm, yes well

crimson Mon 16-Jul-12 19:42:07

Crikey; I'd forgotten the ear lobe thing [used to do that when I was in my Barefoot Doctor thing period]. But it is actually an acupuncture spot isn't it?

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 19:13:34

Ah - yes all these things will have a placebo effect if you believe in them. So would lots of things that are free, like chanting a positive mantra or rubbing your ear lobe.

Anagram Mon 16-Jul-12 18:55:16

I bought one of the larger bottles of Rescue Remedy for DD when she was sitting her GCSEs and very stressed. I said to put two drops on the tongue, only if you feel really anxious.
She came home from school, flung the empty bottle in the bin and said "Well that didn't work!" grin

crimson Mon 16-Jul-12 18:49:06

But then again bananas have the same stuff in them [serotonin] that anti depressants have so I don't dismiss such things out of hand.

crimson Mon 16-Jul-12 18:46:46

I must admit to using the rescue remedy sometimes [agree it's probably the placebo effect or, more likely the alcohol in it wink].

jeni Mon 16-Jul-12 18:46:38

Jess, well said!

Nonu Mon 16-Jul-12 18:38:51

I agree , agree , they are not what they claim to in my opinion , perhaps the placebo effect ???????????? if something really ails you , the GP is the answer [hmmm] why don"t we have more emoticons like on hotmail should not not be so difficult to organise x

Annobel Mon 16-Jul-12 18:29:15

Never tried them, because I assumed that the benefit was in the mind. Now you've lit the blue touch paper, I shall retire immediately!

Grannylin Mon 16-Jul-12 18:28:56

I'm with you on this one Jess, purely psychological

JessM Mon 16-Jul-12 18:16:25

Disappointed to see that GN have allied themselves to this product.
"can help us rediscover the positive side of ourselves and lead emotionally healthy lives" - Really - and what is the evidence for this claim? There is none. If you have experienced any benefits it will be from the tiny amount of alcohol they contain. Dreamed up in the 1930s and based on whacky ideas rather than any research, or science.
Like homeopathic "remedies" they have no remedial effect on anything.
They won't do you any harm probably - except to your pocket.