Gransnet forums

Competitions

Why Facebook?

(11 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 01-May-14 18:03:05

Hello! Just to answer a few myths about our Facebook competitions...

- Most of our competitions are run onsite and you won't need a Facebook account to enter. However we do have one Facebook competition fortnightly to, as thatbags suggested, reach a wider audience and get Gransnet 'out there'. We also run Twitter giveaways every now and then for the same reason.

- Our Facebook competitions require users to 'like' the Gransnet page before they can enter - so depending on your Facebook privacy settings, your friends and family may see that you've 'liked' our page.

- When you enter a Facebook competition, you fill in the same form as you would do on a competition onsite (except we additionally ask for address and first name, so it's easier to just send prizes out to non-members if we can't reach them by email). We don't use your information for anything other than to distribute prizes (unless there's a 'please tick here if you want more info on XXX' box, and you've ticked it, we'd pass your email address onto the prize provider).

- We don't look at who has 'liked' our Facebook page and we wouldn't be able to anyway, if you've set your privacy settings.

You can find all our competitions on this page. Hope that clears things up!

geeljay Thu 01-May-14 14:13:51

We are a bit the same. Brother in Sydney. Son in Adelaide. The only visions of our Adelaide grandchildren is via Facebook or Skype, so it serves a purpose for us. Just that you need to take care on what info you put on the web. One of our sons builds and maintains websites, and once worked for Post Office security in offices around England and Wales.

granjura Thu 01-May-14 14:07:15

Because of family and friends spread all over the world- I love FaceBook- get regular pictures and up-dates from all- and it's really wonderful.

But I would never dream of joining a group like GransNet there as it gives access to my name and whereabouts, etc.

geeljay Wed 30-Apr-14 23:31:04

The trouble with Facebook is any info you put on can be 'lifted' and viewed by so many others. Our grandson was short listed for a job, but was finally rejected because of his 'drug connections'. He had put on Facebook a blog about a party, making a reference to 'most people were stoned out of their tiny minds'. Some party! But the job interviewer told GS they had taken information from his comments as 'referring to drug taking. Many companies now take referencing from information put on the site apparently. My OH has been receiving emails from a dating site called Zoost, and his details were lifted from Facebook. So just be wary. Regards

durhamjen Wed 30-Apr-14 22:49:22

A twitterer or a twit?
I agree. Some of the prizes are quite good on Facebook, but I will not join anyway. There are many other websites on which you need a facebook account to respond. Sorry, can't bring myself to do it.

Lona Wed 30-Apr-14 22:38:42

I didn't think you had to actually have a facebook page in order to enter.

Ana Wed 30-Apr-14 22:11:29

You don't have to be a Twitterer to enter a GN competition, though...

thatbags Wed 30-Apr-14 22:09:58

I think.

thatbags Wed 30-Apr-14 22:09:48

Reaches wider audience. You could ask why Twitter as well. Same reason.

DebnCreme Wed 30-Apr-14 21:05:55

I agree GG. have a FB account but won't enter those competitions on principal.

GrannyGear Wed 30-Apr-14 20:46:54

I'm puzzled by the way some of the Gransnet competitions require a Facebook login. I don't want to set up a Facebook account just so I can enter your competition. What is the reasoning behind this seemingly odd requirement? Advertising? Sponsorship?

confused