Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win 1 of 12 subscriptions to Eco Kids Planet

(113 Posts)
VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 22-Apr-15 10:00:49

Eco Kids Planet is a brilliant new magazine that teaches children about the intriguing wonders of the Earth, and we've got 12 annual subscriptions up for grabs. Aimed at boys and girls aged 7-11, it is filled with fascinating facts, picturesque photographs and exciting projects to enjoy. Each issue highlights a different part of the world, from the Amazon to Madagascar to the Arctic. To find out more about Eco Kids Planet please visit www.ecokidsplanet.co.uk.

Congratulations to GeminiJen, Karenusher, Strawberrinan, Larnipoo42, granh1, missdeke, GrannyE, balloon666, pamelaJEAN, Sararose, sparky61, and styles5433. You are the lucky winners! Please check your email inbox for further details.

boulding2 Thu 23-Apr-15 20:34:03

I use to get bunty and judy my mum and I would go to the corner shop on a Saturday afternoon and get them, mum would have people's friend we would get home make a drink couple of biscuits (never a whole packet not in those days) and curl up on the sofa and read the afternoon away and when I progressed to jackie I think my mum use to read it to find out what my generation of teens were up to. Lol

GrannyGlyn Thu 23-Apr-15 23:00:41

I remember Bunty, I think there was one called Princess too but that was later. I loved Jackie and I used to get Fabulous 208 for the pop star pin ups too.

harrigran Thu 23-Apr-15 23:01:46

When I was very young the Beano was a favourite and especially Lord Snooty.

Spidergran Fri 24-Apr-15 09:30:33

I can't remember the name but it always had a story about Nurse Nancy and Doctor David and I was enthralled. I was always the nurse and wildly in love with the Doctor. I never became a nurse but was married twice and they were both called David! I then 'grew up' and read Jackie for years always going to the problem page first to see what secrets people had that you dare not speak to parents about smile

sassygirl25 Fri 24-Apr-15 10:11:05

Loved the beans, fave character Dennis. Now passed on some annuals to my grandson. He loves them

raeb83 Fri 24-Apr-15 12:49:30

My mums friend gave me a load of old Jackie and Mallory Towers cvomics that I loved.

Dottyhols Fri 24-Apr-15 14:17:50

I loved the beano especially Dennis the menace x

sallyc06 Fri 24-Apr-15 17:00:21

I loved the Judy, it was always delivered on a Thursday and I looked forward to it all day and would run into the door to get it. I liked all the little stories, the charcters and would read it over and over until the next one came. Shame I can't buy it now!!

annodomini Fri 24-Apr-15 17:43:02

We were allowed to have Girl and School Friend delivered from the newsagent. Then I borrowed the Eagle from one of the boys we played with. My favourite hero was Dan Dare which no doubt explains my subsequent 'trekkie' tendencies and fascination for science fiction books.

SHORTMAN Fri 24-Apr-15 19:22:10

I remember a children's magazine called Treasure which was quite educational but I also loved the cut out dolls and clothes on the back page of the Bunty - would children still get the same pleasure out of something so simple now?

strawberrinan Sun 26-Apr-15 12:20:07

I adored "Mandy". My granddad got me the subscription and I collected every single issue for over 4 years. I kept them all in order and so I was GUTTED to come home from school one day to find my Mum had put them all in the bin! I used to scour the charity shops for the hardcover annuals.

0jspicer Sun 26-Apr-15 13:53:57

I used to love all the Mad Max characters and the adventures they would get into.

juggler1000 Sun 26-Apr-15 19:30:59

I loved Bunty and Jacky - never missed one :-)

Larnipoo42 Sun 26-Apr-15 23:20:42

Look in and smash hits for me. I don't know whether we will see an era like it again. Top of the pops on TV (be great if this was back on TV with so much good music coming out of the UK at the mo) to fuel our the real love for pop music/culture.

catper Mon 27-Apr-15 13:02:22

The Beano and The Dandy, old Desperate Dan and his mad cow pies! Loved getting a comic and a little bag of pick and mix with my pocket money on a Thursday.

Rosannie Mon 27-Apr-15 18:55:49

Between me, my brother and cousins who lived a few doors away we got Beano, Dandy, Topper, Hotspur, Bunty and Judy. We 'swapped' with each other and they kept us going all week!
I was thrilled when more cousins arrived from Scotland and they got the Sunday post with 'Oor Wullie' and 'The Broons'. I loved the Oor Willie annual at Christmas.
Diana and Jackie were my favourites as a teenager.

bumblebee Mon 27-Apr-15 22:35:06

I was a comic addict!!! The best were Marvel and DC Comics - Spider-man, Batman, The Avengers, X-Men, Superman. However British weekly publications The Beano, Whizzer & Chips, The Transformers, 2000AD and Action Force were favourites, too.

But one of the best non-mainstream titles was a horror anthology comic called 'SCREAM'. It was for older children, and I remember it had free 'Dracula Fangs' with Issue 1 and a free 'Tarantula' with Issue 2. And the stories were BRILLIANT - dead creepy, always ending with an exciting cliff-hanger, leaving us the readers chewing at the bit in anticipation of the next issue.

Time to howl at the moon !!!

inishowen Tue 28-Apr-15 10:47:10

I started off with Jack and Jill when I was about five, and at the same time loved my brother's Topper. Then graduated to Judy, Bunty, June and Schoolfriend, then Romeo and Jackie. I LOVED my comics.

GrannyCaz1 Tue 28-Apr-15 10:55:56

My next door neighbour use to buy me Twinkle and my brother Beano every weekend

granh1 Tue 28-Apr-15 10:58:45

My elderly aunt used to buy a copy of the Beano for me and my brothers, when she did her weekly shopping in town. I had four brothers, so there was a tussle to see who would read it first. We lived in the countryside and I loved nature - pity Eco Kids Planet wasn't around! My grandchildren would love Eco Kids, but there would be a tussle to see who would read it first!

mpsandy Tue 28-Apr-15 11:19:31

It had to be Beano and Dandy. I used to love looking at the artwork and always had the annuals at Christmas.

milliemoon1 Tue 28-Apr-15 11:29:42

I loved Billy whizz from the Beano as I used to think it would be amazing to run around the world in a few seconds!

angep1969 Tue 28-Apr-15 11:33:32

I loved The Beano - then graduated to Blue Jeans as a teenager :-)

susiegee Tue 28-Apr-15 12:07:05

I remember reading Bunty and Jackie but my greatest memories are of my brother laughing loudly as he read Beano.

Clairemike Tue 28-Apr-15 12:15:04

Beano, couldn't wait fot it to come each week, loved the characters