Gransnet forums

Competitions

Win a bundle of cookery books worth over £80

(130 Posts)
VirginiaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 21-May-15 16:38:02

Ever had a disastrous cooking incident? Fancy winning a selection of fabulous cookery books worth over £80?

Reveal your most terrible cooking episodes for a chance to win. The more catastrophic the better - just leave your answer by midday on Thursday 25th June. Good luck.

Congratulations Maggiemaybe, you are the lucky winner! We'll be sending an email shortly.

aliali Thu 25-Jun-15 22:30:34

I decided to make chocolate eclairs, something I'm normally good at, I'd made my choux pastry, piped onto trays, put in a preheated oven, and put my feet up with a cuppa, and a magazine whilst I waited on my eclairs to puff up and bake to a golden brown colour.

About 10 minutes later I could smell an electrical burning smell. I rushed around the house, like a sniffer dog, switching off sockets and trying to detect where the smell was coming from, to no avail. Started to think the smell must be originating outside.
Five minutes later, I thought I'd better check on my eclairs as they would be well on the way to being ready.

When I opened the oven it looked as if a volcano had occurred, as it was full of a lava like substance,

Unbeknown to me, I'd piped my eclairs onto silver coated plastic trays, which had melted all over my oven, with blobs of choux pastry mixed amongst it for effect.

It took months, and months of hard graft and elbow grease to scrape the debris from my oven. And although I love them, I've never made eclairs since.

clarabella3 Thu 25-Jun-15 21:26:05

I once cooked a pizza with the clingfilm still on, I've learned from that though.

tanmack Thu 25-Jun-15 19:38:18

When I was young my mother was bringing the turkey etc through for xmas dinner. We had an old dining table that had extension in middle. As soon as my mum had put everything down, it all fell down the middle! we just sat and stared. Most of it was salvageable luckily!!

More recently, I decided to make soup in my soup maker, just using what was in cupboard. I cooked broth mix and rice to the soup maker (just guessed quantities - as you do) and added chopped carrot and celery.
I left it to cool down for the next day. Tried to pour it into a bowl, however extremely thick. Still ate it as was hungry. Looked more like pease pudding or something but tasted ok

50socks Thu 25-Jun-15 19:31:47

i made floating islands as a dessert for a dinner party. it looked dreadful but the laughter at my attempt was 5 star

GRIFTERASSASIN Thu 25-Jun-15 16:11:12

Tried to make chocolate brownies & they ended up being rock hard on the outside nearly breaking your teeth. And raw in the middle, maybe oven on too high.

Bellroyd Thu 25-Jun-15 09:25:44

I remember using a packet mix and adding ingredients to the topping sachet rather than the cake sachet. It didn't look quite right but the family dutifully scoffed the lot - although of course they never let me forget it!

curlylocks Thu 25-Jun-15 09:02:04

I was boiling up eggs to make egg sandwiches and put the timer on and left them to cook. I noticed my neighbour outside and went to have a quick word with her which carried on for much longer than I'd expected. The next thing we heard was a loud bang and I ran back into the kitchen to discover that the water had run dry and the eggs had exploded all over the kitchen. It took quite a while to clean up and get rid of the smell!

Piggypoo Thu 25-Jun-15 06:40:13

I baked a cake for Father's Day, a lovely sponge cake with icing on the top, it looked lovely, however, I hadn't had it in the oven long enough, and unknown to me, the centre of it was still soft, and uncooked! Luckily, everyone thought that I'd just cleverly put a fondant centre in it!

tishist Thu 25-Jun-15 05:51:35

I was boiling a can of condensed milk to make dulce de leche and it exploded!

walnut Thu 25-Jun-15 03:21:15

I was cooking using the microwave I had to pop out so asked one of my sons to take over told him what to do numerous times ok I know I was told come home from the shop he,d only blown the door off the microwave and the bag inside was nowhere to be seen again heavens know where it went luckily no one was hurt except the microwave which ended up in the bin now hes banned from even boiling an egg hed probably boil it dry oh well he tried

minilynn3 Wed 24-Jun-15 22:00:52

I once made pancakes for my husband and decided to give him a real treat and use a fancy bottle of oil that we had been given for a Christmas gift! Unbeknown to me it was chilli flavoured oil and gave my usually sweet pancakes a terrible burning quality! My poor husband ate two and didn't say anything but just drank several glasses of water! As soon as I tucked in I knew something was wrong and we realised what the problem was!

TONKATOL Wed 24-Jun-15 21:33:26

We were having friends round for dinner and I decided to come up with a different dessert. I found a recipe for a maple and pecan dessert, based on a bread and butter pudding but using croissants instead of bread. It all went really well and was just finishing off in the oven. I opened the door to take it out and then somehow managed to tilt the dish and, having greased it thoroughly, half the dessert slipped out onto the floor, to be cleaned up by our golden retriever. Our kitchen is next to the dining room and one of our guests heard the commotion and took photos of the dessert on the floor. I hurriedly added some fresh ingredients and put it back in the oven to cook. My guest, however, insisted on telling everyone that I had scraped the dessert back off the floor!

spirit131 Wed 24-Jun-15 18:39:55

Not long after I married, I cooked the Christmas turkey with the giblets left inside.

Dessallara Wed 24-Jun-15 16:03:35

When I was very young I decided to treat my family into a Chicken roast. But chicken was frozen, so I did put it into a water and on top of the warm radiator. My mum got so mad she came back and saw it! So embarrassing now!

Jf1968 Wed 24-Jun-15 15:54:32

My limit to microwave cooking is warming stuff up, defrosting what I have forgotten to defrost and cooking microwave meals burnt a few pizzas in my time and got a few flat Yorkshire puddings that's a disaster esp on a Sunday

vandervaulk Wed 24-Jun-15 15:01:40

my worst ever cooking episode was about 20 years ago when I was cooking Christmas dinner for 12 people and I accidently picked up the washing up liquid instead of the salt to season the vegetables

libertygirl Wed 24-Jun-15 06:54:40

I was once attempting to bake muffins for some guests to a party that night. I decided to bake them late that afternoon so that they would be fresh as could be. My oven is a pull down door at chest height. I carefully placed them in and stood back proudly. Then it dawned on me that I had forgot to add the oats that were to be sprinkled on top. I carefully removed them, sprinkled the oats and went to carefully put them back in. However, I caught my oven glove on the door handle, the tray went up in the air and I watched in what seemed like slow motion as the tray flipped over and landed upside down on the door! An almighty sizzle followed. I was left shamefaced and with an oven door that I couldn't clean until had cooled! And yes, I dashed out to the supermarket, bought some muffins and claimed I made them....

katiefish Tue 23-Jun-15 22:56:36

Setting the kitchen on fire grilling sausages, luckily we only had to replace one unit and repaint. I am so glad we have a fire extinguisher in the house.

angiehoggett Tue 23-Jun-15 22:41:31

A couple of years ago we decided on a big family Christmas dinner and bought a huge turkey. It took two of us to remove it from the oven but as we did the tin buckled. Juices splashed into the oven, which caught on fire and the turkey skidded across the kitchen floor. I ran to the oven and turned it off but the commotion alerted everyone to come running into the kitchen and hit the oil slick on the floor. In a slow motion comedy moment people started skidding, colliding with each other, arms flailing etc. After everything had calmed down the decision was made to pick up the turkey, run it under the tap, carve it and have dinner. The floor was greasy for days after that and funnily enough we haven't attempted a big family dinner since but we still have a good laugh about it!!

annodomini Tue 23-Jun-15 17:15:09

I was making a delicious couscous. Put all the grain into a bowl and added the water, expecting it to swell up as usual. I thought it was taking a long time to do this but decided to taste it anyway. Oh dear! I'd made it with oatmeal which I do NOT recommend.

deeblythe Tue 23-Jun-15 16:27:45

When I was a teenager, I decided to help my Mum out and make her an Apple Pie to come home from work to. So I made the shortcrust pastry, took 2 bags of Apple out of the freezer, thawed them out and made the pie. I then made some lovely thick custard to go with it and served it for tea. It wasn't until we all bit into my amazing pie that I realised instead of using two bags of apple from the freezer, one of the bags were swede. So I'd not made Apple Pie but Apple and Swede Pie. It was horrible. Thank goodness I have now improved in the kitchen and now teach my grand daughters how to bake.

Lulabellx1 Tue 23-Jun-15 15:22:14

Cupcakes are supposed to be chewy, right? smile

shscc Tue 23-Jun-15 14:20:34

I was asked to bake some pies, quiches and pastries for a party.
I was happy to oblige .. especially, as I had a batch of previously made pastry in my freezer.
I wondered why guests were pulling weird faces after nibbling my quiches, pies etc.
However, no one needed to tell me .. it suddenly came to me!
The pastry from the freezer was sweetened with sugar .. I had forgotten that!!
I took a bite of quiche just to confirm .. yes, the filling was savoury .. but, the shell was sweet (very sweet).
How embarrassing!!

dougssister Mon 22-Jun-15 22:30:58

When my brother complained that the shortbread biscuits I had made were too soft and tasted "different," I put them into the fridge to firm up. When he continued to complain, I had a strop.
Much later that evening, I realised that I hadn't actually COOKED them....it was raw mixture !

NelAllan Mon 22-Jun-15 19:59:09

When slimming, I once tried to heat up a lemon meringue pie in the oven which had a jelly filling for calorie counting. The jelly quickly reverted to it's liquid form and was flowing out onto the bottom of the oven before I realised my mistake!