Gransnet forums

Competitions

NOW CLOSED: Competition: What's the least romantic gift you've received?

(275 Posts)
KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 08-Feb-16 14:01:48

In aid of Valentine's Day coming up this Sunday, come and tell us What's the least romantic gift you've received to win a bundle of luuuurve books grin

We'll pick the winner at random on Monday 15 Feb. Usual T&Cs apply.

Blinko Wed 08-Jun-16 14:47:59

We had been married less than a year. DH turned to me in bed and whispered, 'I love this time of the day.....I think of all the gas and electricity we're saving'.

KatGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 15-Feb-16 14:20:32

Congrats to Rubyredshoes who has been picked at random to win the bundle of books. Please check your emails for more details.

Thanks to everyone who entered!

jimorourke Mon 15-Feb-16 09:12:24

A snood , not romantic, but definately a great gift for keeping out the cold.

Imperfect27 Mon 15-Feb-16 08:53:00

For a first ever Christmas gift from my now DH, he asked me what I would like and I gave him good guidleines, I thought, for a new dressing gown: white / pink / towelling please, and size 12 ...

What I got was navy blue, fleece and clearly very oversized ... Worse, when /I tired it on, I realised it was a man's dressing gown.

I asked with some bewilderment why it was so big.

"Well, I though you would like chunky!" came the reply.

Ah well, he has trained up nicely now smile.

vickymeldrew Mon 15-Feb-16 07:43:55

This year for Christmas I received (gift wrapped of course) a small shovel to 'clear up after' our black labrador !

gulligranny Sun 14-Feb-16 22:27:48

One year my ex gave his mother a new microwave oven; I got a matching oven glove and teatowel ..... He also once bought me a hammer drill that was so heavy I couldn't have lifted it even if I'd known what to do with it (you can imagine what I was tempted to do with it!)

Cherrytree59 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:11:51

An x-hose for the garden
And then the box thingy to store it in!

notchav76 Sun 14-Feb-16 22:06:03

One year, he forgot altogether. So I would say the least romantic present ever was not getting one at all!! it doesnt get less romantic than that! He redeemed himself, but it took a while believe me!! smile

Cat1980uk Sun 14-Feb-16 21:54:29

A block of Derbyshire cheese!!! I'd been looking for it as it's my favourite in 5 counties cheese but living in Lancashire couldn't find it anywhere. My then boyfriend was so chuffed when he found it he gave it me as a present!!

Zoe99 Sun 14-Feb-16 21:32:59

I was with my ex partner for 10years and he "accidently" forgot valentines day and ny birthday 4years in a row - no card nothing , hence why he is now my ex ! ☺☺

Isobelw Sun 14-Feb-16 20:49:22

Two weeks after I had given birth my husband gave me an abdominiser exercise frame for Xmas. I was not impressed

granniefinn Sun 14-Feb-16 20:00:19

When we were married for about a month( 32years ago) my husband came in and told me to close my eyes and hold out my hands I thought I was going to get chocolates are flowers I could have cried when I opened my eyes to find soup mixture he even had the cheek to say he fancied soup for his dinner the next night

sazp81 Sun 14-Feb-16 17:55:00

An ironing board ?

blynda Sun 14-Feb-16 17:46:54

clairewilko29 I had a good friend years ago whose husband regularly gave her the cash to buy her own Christmas and birthday presents. She even had to wrap them up herself and then just get him to write the gift tag. I suppose at least she got exactly what she wanted but I did wonder why they even bothered exchanging gifts.

blynda Sun 14-Feb-16 17:44:39

My husband once bought me a Dustbuster (one of those rechargeable mini vacuum things that were all the rage about 25 years ago). He is now well aware that household items are not an option when it comes to presents.

His aunt was once given a new iron for Christmas at her own request!

carolacr Sun 14-Feb-16 17:40:39

I was gifted with a "Thigh Toner" no comment smile

nipsmum Sun 14-Feb-16 16:56:50

I got a box of 6 eggs for my 6th birthday. My mum accepted it very gratefully. It was 1947.

clairewilko29 Sun 14-Feb-16 16:18:21

my husband once gave me a brown envelope (no name or anything) with a £20 note in and told me to go buy my own flowers, chocolates and a card, but to give him the card so he could write in it!!! its the thought that counts i suppose and at least i got nice flowers!!!

Angela1961 Sun 14-Feb-16 15:53:25

Today I gave my oh a Valentine's card and in return got - nothing. We have just got back from shopping where I'm drowning in a Terrys Choc Orange which I'd made him put in the shopping trolley !

bla4bla Sun 14-Feb-16 15:49:41

I did not received no one gif today, even phone call.

Rachettini Sun 14-Feb-16 15:42:32

Roses on Thursday that had died by this Saturday ☹

stillhere Sun 14-Feb-16 15:06:38

Ex bought me one of those Black & Decker workbenches.

I am pretty good at smaller DIY tasks, but really didn't have the time or energy for anything more. He hated having to do anything in the house or garden at weekends, so thought he could pass on all maintenance problems to me.

I wrapped it up and gave it back to him for his birthday the following year.

It was the culmination of years of household appliances as gifts. I plotted and planned and, on a day out, showed him a small shop in a village not far away. I had been in there and knew there was nothing inside that I didn't like. I told him that in future, any presents he bought me should come from there. It worked very well for our remaining years together!

minilynn3 Sun 14-Feb-16 15:04:29

Many years ago my husband bought me a new iron but he knows better now and buys me flowers and chocolates! ( He actually thought he was doing a good thing because my iron wasn't very good!)

katynana Sun 14-Feb-16 14:46:03

Several rolls of wallpaper, the kids remember it fondly. He did put said present up on the walls and I had asked to have the decorating done so I wasn't exactly unhappy.

GillC Sun 14-Feb-16 14:13:53

A compost bin..........beat that!!